Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2016, 02:17 PM   #1

Question Fleetwood Discovery 40X surge protector questions

we have a 2014 Discovery 40X and I cannot determine if there is a built-in surge protector on this unit or if I should be purchasing a plug-in unit. Does anyone know how to tell?

Also, if I purchase a 50 amp unit and the camping area only has 30 amp service--can I use the 50 amp protector anyway?

any suggestions on quality of Surge Guard vs. Progressive?
calvin31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2016, 03:12 PM   #2
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin31 View Post
we have a 2014 Discovery 40X and I cannot determine if there is a built-in surge protector on this unit or if I should be purchasing a plug-in unit. Does anyone know how to tell?

Also, if I purchase a 50 amp unit and the camping area only has 30 amp service--can I use the 50 amp protector anyway?

any suggestions on quality of Surge Guard vs. Progressive?

A 50 amp surge protector will work on a 30 amp circuit.

I would recommend a built in unit, the plug in units that go on the post have a tendency to sprout legs and walk away .

This is the write up I did on my Surge protector install

You may find it informative?

I installed a Progressive unit. They seem to have great support, they say they have 24/7 support.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:19 PM   #3
Community Administrator

I installed a portable in my wet bay as Progressive told me the hard wired version was not water proof and my power cord was like I said in the wet bay. It worked great and didn't have " legs".

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1461878323.448405.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	125512

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:56 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In 2014, fleetwood put in surge guard brand transfer switches which have basic surge protection. Here is the description.

50A Hardwire - Model 41260
Automatic Transfer Switch
120/240V, 50A, 60 Hz
The Surge Guard line of automatic transfer switches ensures continuous power to your coach by monitoring shore power and automatically switching to generator power when it detects electrical issues that could impact performance of equipment in your motorhome. The 41260 provides basic surge protection of 2600 joules at 76,400 Amps. Additional features include:

Protects RV bumper to bumper from faulty park power.
Provides the following protection:
Open neutral
Reverse polarity
Time Delay at Power Up (Shore 3-4 Sec., Generator 30 Sec.)
Multi-mode Surge Suppression
Mechanical interlocking contactors.
UL Approved ATS - full transfer switch rating, UL1008..
Automatic Transfer Switch 50A Product Sheet

Automatic Transfer Switch 50A Troubleshooting Guide

"Before You Call Guide" - Additional Troubleshooting Help
Old 04-29-2016, 11:47 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As Mojoracing indicated, you have a built-in surge guard and I'm sure it is highly effective. Ours has served us exceptionally well over the past 3 years and 180+ campgrounds, at least 5-6 of which had electrical problems.

Of course, nothing is perfect and you may also use a second surge guard. When I asked about doing that of an electronics expert friend (about my '08 Discovery with an Intellitec ESP), he replied "You can, but do you really need use two condoms?" Couldn't resist sharing that!
Home base now in Kerrville TX
Al n Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood