Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2017, 05:13 PM   #1

Fleetwood Discovery LXE 39F

Seriously looking at purchasing a Discovery LXE 39F. This model comes with a 360 horsepower Diesel engine, instead of the 380 horsepower which comes on the other models. Wondering if any owners can tell me what they think of the 360 engine and if they feel it has enough power for hills and pulling a vehicle.
Terrmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2017, 03:11 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You'll run with the V-10s gassers

We had the 6.7L Cummins in our 08 Expedition. This was a before DEF engine but after the EPA 2007 requirements. What all that means is our engine was 325 HP and 750 lb/ft and averaged 8.5 mpg while pushing a 33000 lb box down the road towing a 3000 lb car.

The new 6.7L cranks out more horsepower and gets better fuel economy due to less restrictions in the exhaust. But in the end you will have the same performance level of a coach weighing 10000 lbs less and powered by a gas V-10. Which is to say you will do fine on the flats and rolling hills but when you hit the bigger hills you will just have to practice patience in the right lane.

I was very happy with our 08 6.7L, it was no speed demon but had adequate power. That is until we got the new ISL9 in a coach that only weighs 3000 lbs more than the old coach. My opinion, pick a floorplan as close to the 39F as you can that will give you the ISL9 motor.
paddler1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:49 PM   #3

Thanks for your thoughts - going to seriously reconsider!
Old 10-31-2017, 04:11 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
From what I can see it looks like the MSRP of 6.7 Cummins LXEs is about $8000 less than a LXE with the ISL9. $8k seems like a lot of money for an engine upgrade but you are also getting 2 more feet of coach plus a bath and a half on the D and E models. Bunkhouse on the G and the X....I still can't wrap my head around the X. HUGE TV, but the only seats that have a good view of it are the captains chairs up front. To each his own.

Keep in mind you can get the Fleetwood of your dreams for 30-35% off MSRP. MHSRV is great for getting a competing price to take to your local dealer for negotiations. Fleetwood Discovery LXE, Fleetwood Discovery, Discovery RV
Old 11-01-2017, 04:10 AM   #5

Yes, we have seen how dealers are coming way down from the sticker price - definitely some good deals to be made. How long have you had your 40D and are you happy with it so far? Any major concerns or just the usual small stuff? We drove a 40D with the big engine and it was nice - just didn't like the inside colors. Maybe will have to order exactly what we want.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:40 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have had ours for a whole 12 days. We had very few items that need addressing during our PDI. The two big items turned out to be non-issues that were caused by the dealer's PDI guys. They accidently placed the Truma tankless hot water heater in clean mode, which took the service personnel a while to figure out. They also managed to lock the induction cook top, which made it look like it was broken. After service changed out the cook top we discovered the secret of locking and unlocking the cooktop.

The bad news (In my Opinion) is the bed mattress sucks eggs, we replaced it after sleeping on it one night. The second item that had to go was the J-Sofa. Fleetwood offers an optional sleeper sofa in place of the J-Sofa, if money was tight that is the way I would go. If funds are available order it with the J-Sofa, then rip it out and install theatre seating like we did.

I've driven the rig about 600 miles so far and I love it. Compared to our old 08 Expedition with the 6.7L, the Discovery is just so much nicer to drive. The longer wheel base makes for a smoother ride and the ISL9 certainly has some spare giddy up. Cruises very nice at 63 MPH. I'm hoping the fuel economy will be about what we were getting on our old rig, 8.5 mpg after the break-in period.

Overall we are very pleased with the 40D and looking to take her out every chance we get.

Tags
cover, discovery, fleetwood