Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2014, 05:41 AM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
If you are concerned about the length, measure it with a measuring tape. It might be listed at 39'11" but I would not be at all surprised if it was significantly over 40' especially if you measure from end of the ladder to the furthest point of the mirrors (I don't think either is included in the measurement and even the published lengths are often not that close to even just the coach itself). Ignoring the inaccuracies in the coach length, I suspect you can add close to 14" just for the mirrors (unless you fold them in when you put it in storage) and for the ladder).

I suspect that most 39's are actually well over 40' from any manufacturer.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #30

Freightliner Owners Club
The Discovery specs for our 37U says the length is 37' 10". We took a tape out before we bought it and measured it....from the back ladder to the windshield wipers/mirrors (both were pretty equal) and it measured 38' 5". Like my previous post said the interior of the garage from the back to the brace on the garage door was 38' 7". Take a tape......don't depend on the specs.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:08 PM   #31

Thanks for the reminders on length. I will keep that in mind ... overall length from the front to back, I don't want to go over 41' and if possible a little less. That might give me room to walk around the coach when in the garage (42' 7.5").

Just curious ... do any of you find it difficult to get around or into some RV parks with 40' + coaches? I've never had a problem with my 34' ... but some places would seem tight it the rig was 6 foot plus longer ....
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:56 PM   #32

We had a problem years ago when I told the campground we had a 38N. They put us in a 38' site, and we didn't fit. I now tell the rv park we are 41 feet. No problems since. The Freightliner XC chassis have at least a 55 degrees wheel turn on the front wheels. That makes the coach pretty easy to work with.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:36 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfbatonrg View Post
We had a problem years ago when I told the campground we had a 38N. They put us in a 38' site, and we didn't fit. I now tell the rv park we are 41 feet. No problems since. The Freightliner XC chassis have at least a 55 degrees wheel turn on the front wheels. That makes the coach pretty easy to work with.
Second that on Freightliner ours, 41 DP has a 60 degree turn. It is easier to maneuver than our previous 34 ft gas rig.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:01 PM   #34

Well, listed my Winnebago Adventurer on Craigslist and sold it in 2 weeks. Figured it would take my all summer to sell, but guess I got lucky as it's all about timing. So looking again for a coach and pretty sure I've settled on the Fleetwood and if I can get a deal might not wait until next winter. In doing research, I've noticed hardly any price difference between a 2005 Discovery and Providence and in many cases see folks asking more for the Discovery when both have the similar options/miles. I thought the Providence was a notch up the ladder from the Discovery -- what am I missing? I know the asking price is only that ... quite high and most the time above the NADA high retail ... however, I've got more more serious when the asking price is reasonable and more towards the NADA low retail and have started some dialog with owners on condition and options. Any words of wisdom from you experienced folks??
Old 04-14-2014, 06:06 PM   #35

In those years around 2005, both the Excursion and the Providence were listed above the Discovery. Differences include furniture and appliance upgrades over the standard Discovery. In general they both offer more options also. That doesn't mean the Discovery is a bad choice. D's are very popular.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:07 PM   #36

Thanks Jim/Lynda. I think I'll take the 550 mile drive and look at a Providence that seems to be priced right to begin with. It has all the standard options, 4 year old tires, and 42,000 miles, don't know the age of the batteries, and was stored inside when not in use. Makes me wonder what's wrong with it since priced below most Discovery's I've seen ... but the dealer said he'd let me talk with the prior one owner if I'd like to ... so will probably do that over the next couple of days
Old 04-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #37

Good luck on your trip to the Providence. You can't always tell about the asking price on these coaches. A lot depends on how much the dealer put into the coach when they made the trade, and what demand for the coach in that area. Example: our coach was priced really low. When we looked at it, it was in excellent condition, and when talking to the original owners found out it was only used for tailgating and a couple of NASCAR races each year. Most of the appliances were never used.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:40 PM   #38

Hi TP, did you ever drive the 550 miles to see the Providence? Just curious about asking price year as we are looking at a 2005 Discovery. Thanks.
Finious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:48 PM   #39

Finious: Yes I did take the drive. It was a nice coach, but just throught there was too many things that I'd need to look into that I finally decided to scratched it off my list. Since I haven't looked at many used coaches, maybe I'm being too critical, but just felt I'd keep looking. Plus the wife now has decided she'd rather have a bath and half, which has made my search go another direction which isn't going too well either. On the Providence they recently reduced their asking price to $74.9k ... they've had it about a year so assume they may take an offer less than this amount. PM if you want the link to the coach.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:55 AM   #40

Just upgraded from 93 Pace Arrow Diesel Pusher to an 07 Discovery 39V (full slide). We love it! Only 20K miles on this beauty! So far, So good. Now I have to sell off my trusty 93 PADP! :-(
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:16 AM   #41

After FULLTIMING for three years, unless I was traveling a lot as we are,
I would try to find a floor plan I could live with in a gas coach. DP'S are more
expensive to maintain! They are made to be on the road.
IMHO
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:22 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppopc View Post
After FULLTIMING for three years, unless I was traveling a lot as we are,
I would try to find a floor plan I could live with in a gas coach. DP'S are more
expensive to maintain! They are made to be on the road.

IMHO
Mine is "made for the road" but not any more "expansive to maintain" than a gasser unless you pay someone else to do all the work. I'd rather be towing a toad in a diesel than a gasser.

Brother-in-law almost lost his gasser & toad going over the "Big Divide" in Denver. Brakes started fading, he even had brake assist in the toad! Put the fear of god into them! They immediately upgraded to Diesel & feel MUCH safer now!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood, journey