Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2012, 07:07 AM   #1
rhm

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fleetwood Electrical Mystery

This should be a good mystery for you troubleshooting sleuths.

'04 Fleetwood Providence. 350 Cummins ISC. Xantrax(?) Inverter.

On Monday, I had to move the beast out of the way. It wasn't thrilled about starting, but I got the genertaor running, then used the auxilliary switch and got her started.

I moved it around a bit, and ended up starting and stopping the engine 3 or 4 times with no issues.

When I shut it down the final time, the fan on the inverter was running and the display showed overload/overtemp. Both battery switches were turned off inside the coach.

I turned off the inverter with the button on the front of the unit and the fan shut off.

Now I notice the solar regulator panel, which should be telling me something like 13 volts, is showing 54.

The next day Tuesday, I go back to see what's up and she's dead. The chassis battery is reading 10 volts and the house batteries 14, but can't even get enough power to light up the dash.

I've checked the batteries, cleaned corrosion, tightened cables and made sure the water is topped off.

I'm also getting a repeating click from the inverter when I turn the batteries on.

Ok, guys, have at it. What's going on here? Did something fry, or is the coach just telling me it's cold and wants to be left alone until spring?

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.
rhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Can't help you with your electrical issues, but would suggest when it's below 40 degrees using the engine preheat...that's what Cummins recommends. Makes it much easier on the engine, batteries, etc.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
rhm

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Update

Managed to get the chassis batteries out (it was a tight squeeze) and put them on a charger. They were both only 7%. I don't know if that is the root of the issue or it's something else, but at least I know that much now.

Any other thoughts would be welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhm View Post
This should be a good mystery for you troubleshooting sleuths.

'04 Fleetwood Providence. 350 Cummins ISC. Xantrax(?) Inverter.

On Monday, I had to move the beast out of the way. It wasn't thrilled about starting, but I got the genertaor running, then used the auxilliary switch and got her started.

I moved it around a bit, and ended up starting and stopping the engine 3 or 4 times with no issues.

When I shut it down the final time, the fan on the inverter was running and the display showed overload/overtemp. Both battery switches were turned off inside the coach.

I turned off the inverter with the button on the front of the unit and the fan shut off.

Now I notice the solar regulator panel, which should be telling me something like 13 volts, is showing 54.

The next day Tuesday, I go back to see what's up and she's dead. The chassis battery is reading 10 volts and the house batteries 14, but can't even get enough power to light up the dash.

I've checked the batteries, cleaned corrosion, tightened cables and made sure the water is topped off.

I'm also getting a repeating click from the inverter when I turn the batteries on.

Ok, guys, have at it. What's going on here? Did something fry, or is the coach just telling me it's cold and wants to be left alone until spring?

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Take the batteries to a battery shop and have them checked after you charge them. Then go from there.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
rhm

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fleetwood Electrical Mystery

I started with this thread in the fleetwood forum, but I wonder if any of the experts here have any other thoughts.

I've had the batteries tested (after charging) and they both come back about 75 to 80 percent.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/flee...ry-115957.html

It's been too cold to put them back in, but I hope to do that later in the week. Then we'll see if the inverter is still wonky.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #6

It is not a mystery,with the exception of not accepting that your batteries are shot. That 54 was probably 5.4

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #7
rhm

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The batteries check out at about 75%. I got them back in and with a boost from the house batteries, got the genny started. After waiting a bit I got the motor started. Nothing wonky from the inverter, and now even the solar regulator is showing a proper reading.
It's all good and I'm relieved. Thanks for the helpful suggestions.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #8

Can you run some kind of power out to the MH and charge all batteries. If you don't do anything else you will find the same situiation the next time you try to get it going. Batteries do not like being stored with anything less than a full charge.
See the note in my signature.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are only two ways the solar control panel can show 50+ volts.

Bad panel (Doubtful) or bad connection between said panel and the batteries.

Check all connections to/from the batteries both ends of the cable Epically the ground.

Tags
electrical, fleetwood