Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2016, 02:14 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
My son never complained and we just used a sleeping bag, but the couch gave more room than dinette. Once he got "teenage" the MH interest waned and by the time he was 16 the interest was nil , so you should be good for a few years yet. Now he is 22 and wants the MH, but without Mom&Dad....like that is going to happen.
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2016, 03:52 PM   #16

More questions. Teenager-related...

Good to know, B&N! A couple of other teenage related questions, for anyone's input:

1) Do the TVs (over fireplace in 38K, in TV lift on 40E) have HDMI connections for XBox or PlayStation? Anyone have any creative home theater setups, like Apple TV, Home Theater PC (HTPC)? I think we'll get more mileage out of rainy days if we can keep a game system around... has that worked for you all with teenagers?

(Our favorite family board game right now is Catan which requires some tabletop space. His other favorite indoor games are Pokemon and Minecraft.)

2) Does (or did) your RV insurance go up when your teenager turned driving age? (I'm hoping you can leave them off of it)

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts!
Daryl
DarylW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:22 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
The Front TV in the 40e is solid mount as I am sure the TV over the fireplace in the 38k is solid mount as well. On the 40e all TV's are HDMI connected with spare HDMI ports. The 40e has a 50" that raises up and a computer slot for your laptop in a drawer beside, so no issues with connecting laptop or game console to the the big screen. For insurance up here in Canuckistan, insurance is with the primary driver and as long as anyone else has 10+years driving there is no change to premiums. Our kiddo came with us to do his air ticket, so yes technically he can drive it, of course he gets the highest mark in the class. The Coast Guard may trust him to navigate their ships, but he ain't driving my DISCO! yet anyway....I love it down in your parts, have clients in GA and SC and friends in FL (with boats). Heck, the kids girlfriend is in KY.
Sorry, yes you can use PC plug into home theatre amp and watch all you want, or replace the amp with a wireless amp and do the nexflix and other www applications.
Brian & Nicola
Xeena(German Shepard)
Old 04-20-2016, 06:36 PM   #18

Thanks, B&N!

I was going to say the same about the hometown in your signature. DW took Alaska rail/cruise with my MIL and came back through Vancouver (I had to work - boo). I always wanted to go to Whistler as well - I hear it's beautiful. She dreams of us going to Alaska in our 2nd home! I'm not sure I can afford the windshields and tires! Or a satellite phone!

D
Old 04-20-2016, 06:59 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes, B.C. (Bring Cash) is a beautiful place to live and we have done Alaska cruise several times. There is a great RV park at Whistler and if you venture into the Okanagan there are more wineries/RV Parks than telephone poles and all of excellent quality (sorry California) and Alberta has Banff/Lake Louise. They just did an article on a brown bear named "Boss" he is tagged and weighs over 600lbs, the headline was "The Boss sole mission in life is to eat and have sex". It's good to be the big bear in a National Park. You also have the advantage of a 30% premium on your dollar.
Xeena(German Shepard)
Old 04-20-2016, 10:10 PM   #20

Sleeping Arrangements

I can only speak for the Discovery 40E. It has a nice padded Fold out queen mattress that our grand daughter sleeps on all the time and she has never complained...
smitty082261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:01 AM   #21

Again, I have a 40G and it has the U-shaped dinette and the pull out couch with the bunk house. The Pull out couch is not a jack knife, it's a full size queen pull out with an air mattress. We've had 2 adults sleep on that couch. One complained and said the air mattress was not comfortable, the other said it was fine. The u-shaped dinette might be ok for a small child, but basically I think it's useless as a bed. You have to screw in 4 short legs to the bottom of the table, collapse the table on the center pole, and then put the center cushion over the table. That cushion does not stay in place very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylW View Post
Thanks for all the great insight, y'all.

New question - As we consider the sleeping area for our 10 year old, I discovered that the Expedition 38K will leave us with either the L-Shaped Jack Knife bed or the U-Dinette as a bed. The Discovery 40E appears to have a full-size pull out air mattress. Can anyone confirm and give any insight on how workable these solutions are? I am trying to consider that our 10 year old might not have any issues with this now, but it might become an issue as he becomes an older (e.g. taller) teenager...

I've never slept on a jack knife (or dinette) bed, but it doesn't look very comfortable. How do you do the sheets - custom made? just use an air mattress on top? sleeping bags? I don't understand the day to day logistic...

Again, thanks!

Daryl
Old 04-21-2016, 06:06 AM   #22

Great info, everyone. My continued thanks for your insight!
Daryl

Tags
38k, 40e, discovery, expedition, fleetwood