Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2016, 01:21 PM   #1

Fleetwood Expedition 38K or Discovery 40E

Howdy! (newbie alert)

I'm looking for input on these 2 models and welcome your insight (here or PM).

I've been researching our first purchase for some time. Saw the new Pace Arrow LXE 38K at an RV Show recently and DW fell in love with it. After I researched a little more, I felt the Expedition 38K was perhaps worth the step up in $ to get more power and some of the niceties.

But then I found the Discovery 40E. And, gee, it sure looks nice - I really mean it! But $$ would put us at the top of our budget - assuming a decent discount off MSRP of course (or going with a 2015)...

Have any of you been faced with this dilemma? Or was it an easy choice? We haven't been in a Discovery yet. Seems these models are few and far between - I'm hoping that's for a good reason (in demand)...

Eager to hear your thoughts! Thanks in advance!

Daryl in Woodstock (GA, that is, not the famous one)
DarylW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2016, 02:53 PM   #2

40E

We have a 2015 40E and love it. We looked at different coaches for 2yrs from all the major manufacturers but felt Fleetwood had the most value for the price. We rec'd 34% off msrp and while it was at the top of our budget we listened to wise advice of "buy your last coast first". It has been relatively trouble free and Fleetwood has been exceptional with the one major warranty issue which was an airbag that would not inflate. Sent a mobile tech out with no pushing from us. It drives like a dream and is very comfortable. Good luck with your decision

Gary and Susan Snyder
Bradenton, FL
gsnyder4224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:25 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, GSnyder4224!

I'm looking forward to seeing a 40E in person. Goodness knows I've watched and rewatched videos on youtube and pictures on rvtrader... am I the only person who does that?

To share a glimpse of our current vexation with the world: DW likes U-Shaped dinette better in 38K (for playing games and what-not with our 10 yr old), she's not sold on table/chairs in 40E (does it come out far enough for 3?), I like placement of 50" TeleVator(?) in 40E, fit & finish in guest bath and overall. I like dishwasher, endless hot water heater, and all those other upgrades which you can't get in 38K. But I do like living area in either (fireplace is nice in 38K). I think 38K will do fine while we have Theo at home, but I think 40E could also serve as our snowbirding/full-timing vehicle - the phrase "the first AND last RV we'll ever have to buy" may have been uttered.

Thoughts?

D
Old 04-07-2016, 03:32 PM   #4

BTW, I hear Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40DP is built on same assembly line and has matching plan and may be less expensive (I built to identical configure and it was less). There has to be some reason it's less expensive. Anyone know?
Old 04-07-2016, 04:55 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Take my advise, buy your last coach first! We love our 40E and if you plan to keep it for years take the plunge otherwise you will "settle" for less then spend your time regretting it. Yes, the table is big enough for 4 when you slide it out. That said, in nice weather you would be outside anyway. DW wanted a fireplace in ours, the dealer installed under the table at no charge and it works perfect. I am pretty sure if you expand your search you can find a new 2014/2015 leftover at a major discount. Other than some cosmetic changes and different placement of batteries/DEF tank there is no major difference since 2013. BTW, we have had absolutely no issues with ours-except a few operator "errors" cured by a sheepish phone call to the dealer or this message board didn't fix.
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:07 PM   #6

Not real familiar with the 40E by we love our 40G. Really have nothing but good things to say about it.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:19 PM   #7

Discovery had much higher ccc and towing compared to the pace arrow I believe?
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:46 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have had our 40E for 1 yr. now. No major problems. 10k miles put on it. Should have bought this first. Pulls a car easily. Gets better MPG than our gassers. Handles, drives and rides better too. Found I can do most of the service work too. Ext. Warranty waste of money. 35% off MSRP. More than I wanted to spend but I don't regret it now.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:01 PM   #9

2015 Discovery 40E

We bought ours November 2015 and got it at a great discount in New Mexico. I would like to offer a bit of advice. We have had a couple of issues, nothing that has kept us from using it, one being the Full Wall Slide Locking Mechanism broke (has plastic parts in it) and the Bedroom slide would drift out when traveling down the road, no more than 3/4 inch but still enough to allow rain water in. This is where my concern is and should be yours. We bought it in new mexico and we live in Texas, south of Houston. My nearest Fleetwood dealer is Holiday world and they have adopted a new policy this year. if you don't buy it from them they are not going to do warranty work on it. You either have to purchase from them to get into the shop or purchase from what they call a Priority dealer and you will be second in line. Fortunately I had previously purchased a fifth wheel from them so they decided after 2 months of back and fourth that they would fix two safety issues and they stated they never want to see the motorhome again. I contacted Fleetwood and Fleetwood told me there is nothing they can do about it. They offered to get me in to a service center 5 hours from my house. So I do want to caution everyone if you are planning to not buy local you might want to check your local dealer policies... All in all we love our Fleetwood but hate the fact that we have to take it so far away to get work done
smitty082261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:21 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Move up to the Disco, in the long run you will be happier.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:04 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty082261 View Post
We bought ours November 2015 and got it at a great discount in New Mexico. I would like to offer a bit of advice. We have had a couple of issues, nothing that has kept us from using it, one being the Full Wall Slide Locking Mechanism broke (has plastic parts in it) and the Bedroom slide would drift out when traveling down the road, no more than 3/4 inch but still enough to allow rain water in. This is where my concern is and should be yours. We bought it in new mexico and we live in Texas, south of Houston. My nearest Fleetwood dealer is Holiday world and they have adopted a new policy this year. if you don't buy it from them they are not going to do warranty work on it. You either have to purchase from them to get into the shop or purchase from what they call a Priority dealer and you will be second in line. Fortunately I had previously purchased a fifth wheel from them so they decided after 2 months of back and fourth that they would fix two safety issues and they stated they never want to see the motorhome again. I contacted Fleetwood and Fleetwood told me there is nothing they can do about it. They offered to get me in to a service center 5 hours from my house. So I do want to caution everyone if you are planning to not buy local you might want to check your local dealer policies... All in all we love our Fleetwood but hate the fact that we have to take it so far away to get work done
Unreal! What an independent bunch of stealers. Its amazing to me that Fleetwood/REV allows this kind of behavior by their dealers with their customers. Yes, they are independent businesses, but I would think they have a sales and service agreement that requires dealers to service the product without stipulation of where purchased. Maybe not, but I'd be surprised. If a dealer doesn't hold up their end of the agreement, the mother ship can make life difficult for the dealer, especially now with the robust market we have.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:09 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
No different than other industries being boat dealers, Harley dealers, even some auto dealerships. Example, if you purchase a Harley in the US, import to Canada-no, repeat no HD dealer will touch it without a $500 safety inspection! In the RV world, I think the factories are more scared of the dealers than the other way around.
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:55 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylW View Post
Howdy! (newbie alert)

I'm looking for input on these 2 models and welcome your insight (here or PM).

I've been researching our first purchase for some time. Saw the new Pace Arrow LXE 38K at an RV Show recently and DW fell in love with it. After I researched a little more, I felt the Expedition 38K was perhaps worth the step up in $ to get more power and some of the niceties.

But then I found the Discovery 40E. And, gee, it sure looks nice - I really mean it! But $$ would put us at the top of our budget - assuming a decent discount off MSRP of course (or going with a 2015)...

Have any of you been faced with this dilemma? Or was it an easy choice? We haven't been in a Discovery yet. Seems these models are few and far between - I'm hoping that's for a good reason (in demand)..

Eager to hear your thoughts! Thanks in advance!

Daryl in Woodstock (GA, that is, not the famous one)

I was in you shoes a couple years ago comparing expedition 38b vs discovery 40g. In fact I put a deposit on the expedition because i did not really understand the differences (similar floor plans) and did not want to spend the additional. After many hours researching the motor and transmission I realized that it was worth the extra costs and waited for a deal on the 40g to come up. THe motor you will get in the 40e is an ISL9, way stronger in the torque dept and the disco has the Allison 3000 transmission vs the 2500. Stronger trans with more inhibitors to prevent damage to the transmission as well as service displays built in. In my opinion the Pace arrow will be a large motorhome powered by a smaller engine and transmission. The HP 20 difference and minor cosmetic upgrades should be only part of the process. I am glad I waited for the 40G to purchase….
connor2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:53 AM   #14

Sleeping arrangements?

Thanks for all the great insight, y'all.

New question - As we consider the sleeping area for our 10 year old, I discovered that the Expedition 38K will leave us with either the L-Shaped Jack Knife bed or the U-Dinette as a bed. The Discovery 40E appears to have a full-size pull out air mattress. Can anyone confirm and give any insight on how workable these solutions are? I am trying to consider that our 10 year old might not have any issues with this now, but it might become an issue as he becomes an older (e.g. taller) teenager...

I've never slept on a jack knife (or dinette) bed, but it doesn't look very comfortable. How do you do the sheets - custom made? just use an air mattress on top? sleeping bags? I don't understand the day to day logistic...

Again, thanks!

Daryl

Tags
38k, 40e, discovery, expedition, fleetwood