RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2019, 07:33 AM   #15

We had work done at the REV (formally Fleetwood) service center in Alvarado Tx last summer. That facility is now closed but they were very accommodating. We had an appt but got to the facility a couple of days before. They had water and power at each site and a dump facility on site.

My recommendation is to stay with the unit. If something comes up and it always does, they can discuss it with you. Things will go smoother. We stayed in their lounge and did some nearby shopping in our towed while they worked on it. They pulled our RV out of the bay at night and we slept in it then put it in the bay the next day.

I felt they did a good job and were very accommodating. I'm sorry to see the Alvarado facility closed.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2019, 07:56 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Want to do the tour, no maintenance (I hope). Recommendations for CG's in the area? Hope to also hit up Bontragers etc. Tnx.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:10 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Just spent 3 days at "Camp Fleetwood " last week.
Drove up from North Carolina and had an appointment for last Tuesday morning.
We were treated very well and the tech we had was a sharp guy.
All of our coach (electrical slide) issues were taken care of but the dash ac was not.
For that we were sent to a Freightliner dealer (Stoops) in New Haven Indiana which is about 22 miles away .
They were fantastic and bent over backwards to get us fixed and on the road.
The factory tour at REV (Fleetwood) was wonderful and gives a lot of insight as to how these rigs are built.
It was a long ride from NC to IN but considering our only option was the local dealer it was the right thing to do.

There is also a local car rental place there that will pick you up at Camp Fleetwood and bring you to a rental car .
I have the info if anyone would like it.
petewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:43 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This thread prompted me to call and see if I could get slides adjusted. Next avail appointment is in August. We may still try standby and do the tour.

Campground suggestions still solicited. (I assume you can't stay at Fleetwood without an appt?)
Old 05-02-2019, 09:45 AM   #19

Last time I was there, 2 years ago, you could stay without an appointment. Matter of fact if you want to give the "walk up" option a shot the best is to pull in the night before and be at their door at 6:00am to get on the walk up list. Depending how many appointments they have in a day they will attempt to fit in some of the walk ups. If you are first or second on the list you got a good shot but it is still a crap shoot. In the older lot, the non paved one at the end of the building they had 30amp and separate 30/50amp poles and that was where the dump station was located. I believe at the newer lot at the other end of the bldg they have dual 30/50 poles. When I was there I was in the old lot on a 30/50 pole and someone came in needing 50 so I moved to the just 30 pole since that was all I needed. I'm going there in June and have an appointment this time. I'll get there the night before so I'm all ready in the am for them to get started.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:36 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Same thing as of last week.
Several people pulled in without appointments , checked in, hooked up and waited.
I saw some taken care up within a couple of days and they had major problems and some had to wait .
But it is a shot in the dark , better to have an appointment.
Boy did I hear some RV horror stories there , some units had been there for months . A couple of those were high end rigs that had leaks that resulted in mold issues.
Made my issues seem downright minor.
I will tell you the time spent in the waiting lounge and the parking lot were fun.
Met some great people and learned a lot.
Overall a good experience , much better than my arrogant local dealer.
petewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:19 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddler1954 View Post
If you have an appointment, stay with the coach! Leaving a unattended coach at any dealership or manufacturer is giving them permission to work on it when time is available. I watched a in-warranty couple do that while we were getting repairs. Two weeks later, their coach was still waiting to go into the shop, meanwhile, we were repaired and long gone.
Just asking, if you were long gone how do you know they were still waiting for service?
BobMontgomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:31 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMontgomer View Post
Just asking, if you were long gone how do you know they were still waiting for service?
We are members of the same Discovery Owners group. Bob, posted his experiences in our forum. This took place in August of 2018 so REV could have hired another service writer since then.
paddler1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:36 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
We will be leaving on a 6 week long trip and our appointment is 10 days after we leave home next month.

I have a couple questions to those of you that have stayed recently, because it seems like things have changed for those of you that stayed over a year ago.

First, post #2 said you stay in the coach while they work on it? In the shop? Sorry, but that seems hard to believe. Like Im going to be sitting surfing on a laptop while workers keep coming in and out? Can anyone confirm this.

Second, and possibly my biggest concern. What accommodations did you / could you make for your pets during the day? My wife suggested renting a pet friendly hotel room for the day, each day we need to stay. If we do the factory tour or walk to the close buffet, or stay in the lounge like some suggest... I probably can't take them with me. We travel with 3.. less than 10lb cats. They walk on a leash and often referred to as one of the most "dog-like" breeds of cats, one plays fetch, but still, any ideas what I could/should be planning to do with them from 7-4?

Third, we were told we could arrive Sunday and hook up in any available spot. Do I just drive in and park or do I have to check in with someone like a normal RV park to let them know Ive arrived for my appointment tomorrow? Ive google earthed the address provided and where are the spots located, how many are there, could they run out if we show up too late in the day? Also I heard they have a dump and water available so Im guessing its just electric at the site? Post #3 says all 50 amp spots.

Monday morning do they come to me? Do I need to go to somewhere and get in line or find someone?

We have read that be ready to be out of your coach at 7:00am SHARP, and that it will be returned to us at 3:30 pm is this true, how does that work? Do I have to be there and they drive it out of the shop and I drive it back and find an available spot for the night? Do they park it where they got it and I can come back whenever?

Last we have no idea from our appointment how long this all will take. Do we play it safe and plan for 3-4 days? When should I expect to know the approximate length of our stay?

Sorry this seems like a lot to ask but as its our first time to any factory I am just unsure what to expect and would rather be aware and prepared then show up and be lost.

Thanks in advance to all of you that respond to these questions.
We RV'd ALL of the lower 48 states and into Canada
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:42 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We will be leaving on a 6 week long trip and our appointment is 10 days after we leave home next month.

I have a couple questions to those of you that have stayed recently, because it seems like things have changed for those of you that stayed over a year ago.

First, post #2 said you stay in the coach while they work on it? In the shop? Sorry, but that seems hard to believe. Like Im going to be sitting surfing on a laptop while workers keep coming in and out? Can anyone confirm this.
Under the current system you do not stay in the coach while it is in the service bays
Second, and possibly my biggest concern. What accommodations did you / could you make for your pets during the day? My wife suggested renting a pet friendly hotel room for the day, each day we need to stay. If we do the factory tour or walk to the close buffet, or stay in the lounge like some suggest... I probably can't take them with me. We travel with 3.. less than 10lb cats. They walk on a leash and often referred to as one of the most "dog-like" breeds of cats, one plays fetch, but still, any ideas what I could/should be planning to do with them from 7-4? Folks that have dogs just had them on lease, those with cats had them in cat carriers. You can rent a room but most just stay in the lounge, good conversation with other REV owners

Third, we were told we could arrive Sunday and hook up in any available spot. Do I just drive in and park or do I have to check in with someone like a normal RV park to let them know Ive arrived for my appointment tomorrow? Ive google earthed the address provided and where are the spots located, how many are there, could they run out if we show up too late in the day? Also I heard they have a dump and water available so Im guessing its just electric at the site? Post #3 says all 50 amp spots. When you arrive on Sunday, just pick an empty spot. Monday morning head over to the office when it opens (7AM I think) to check in. Only electric at the site, water and dump station are nearby on the road side of the first repair building

Monday morning do they come to me? Do I need to go to somewhere and get in line or find someone?

We have read that be ready to be out of your coach at 7:00am SHARP, and that it will be returned to us at 3:30 pm is this true, how does that work? Do I have to be there and they drive it out of the shop and I drive it back and find an available spot for the night? Do they park it where they got it and I can come back whenever? On Monday morning, you get your coach road ready, slides in, jacks up, on air, and disconnect the shore power. Then go check in, the assigned service underwriter will meet with you to discuss the repair activities. Then the technician will meet you and walk out to your coach. After the first day, you just make the coach road ready and either head over to the lounge or wait for the technician to discuss that days repair activities or any other concerns you may have. That's what I did, plus when he brought our coach back, I go out and meet him to see how that days work when. Stay engaged.

Last we have no idea from our appointment how long this all will take. Do we play it safe and plan for 3-4 days? When should I expect to know the approximate length of our stay? All depends on how long your punch list is and how severe the problems are. We spent 4 days in repair activity with a punch list of 24 items

Sorry this seems like a lot to ask but as its our first time to any factory I am just unsure what to expect and would rather be aware and prepared then show up and be lost.

Thanks in advance to all of you that respond to these questions.
paddler1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:38 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile Back from our appointment.....

Wow! I'm sooooo glad we made the appointment four months ago and went to Decatur! My husband took our coach down on Sunday afternoon, and was in line at 6:45 a.m. on Monday morning. The service writer and tech met with him to go over the list that we had emailed......and added a couple things to. Would you believe that when he got down there Sunday afternoon, the rear bedroom slide had no power and would not extend? What LUCK to have that happen right then and there!! God must be listening to my prayers, as nothing of any importance happened to us during our 6,700 mile trek this past winter.

Anyway, the tech took possession of the coach and drove it into the shop. He explained to my husband that he could use either the downstairs or the upstairs lounge. The downstairs lounge was pet friendly. IF you had your pets with you, he said you were welcome to either leave your pets in their crates in the coach while they were working on it, or take them to the downstairs lounge. At 3:00 or 3:30 each day, the tech brought the coach back to my husband, and explained what had been completed that day. It was nice with him being there, as a few questions arose during the first day that were easily answered. All work was completed by the second day, but paperwork wasn't done until Wednesday morning. He paid Wednesday morning and came home, happy! The techs and service writer were knowledgeable and polite, and suggested that he take the factory tour the first day while he waited. We had taken it once before, but he enjoyed seeing the new 2020 line which they had just begun.
Born2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:10 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thumbs up Thank you!

Thank you, again, for all of your advice! We had the best experience at the Fleetwood Factory, and wouldn't hesitate to go there again......if needed. And t top it off, would you believe that as my husband arrive the night before to stay on their lot, the rear slide wouldn't work? LOL!! Talk about convenient!! Anyway, he added that to the list and it was all fixed in one day.

Again, thank you everyone! This forum is the FIRST thing we turn to when we have a question. We've now owned this 2003 Motorhome for almost 11 years, and have been camping for over 50 years. My husband and I actually met while tent camping during our college years at a Michigan State Park over Memorial Day.
Born2RV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood