Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2011, 05:21 AM   #15
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikron View Post
I didn't think it was a chassis problem as a Fleetwood problem attaching there box.
True, however different chassis would be connected differently to the " box ", I would think

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2011, 10:10 AM   #16
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Inga View Post
Just an FYI as I have heard similiar problems with others. On ours a body support tube appx. 1" square developed a crack in it. It was in the front right corner and could be seen from the wheel well. After hearing about it from another Bounder owner who had a similiar problem it was something that I looked for at oil / lube time. Probable lots of stress on it with the twisting and turning it gets. I imagine if it had gotten to the break point all kinds of hell would have broken out.

Bob
Bob

I took photos of both of mine. I have a Ford chassis. They look similar to yours .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brace.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	8469   Click image for larger version

Name:	brace 2.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	8470  

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Both of ours were on the F53 V-10, but as said, it was probably more of a Fleetwood problem rather than a chassis problem I would think. Happy Trails Bert
Old 02-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #18
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well I said I would look this morning which I did not but did this afternoon, what a mess. I bought this last September and put just over 5000 on it since then and judging by the rust it was like this when I bought it.

It's been locked away in a heated garage all winter and when I checked the air filter earlier I missed seeing this

I've been thinking about this since reading the OP and was thinking the metal is too thin and if I had to repair it I'd re weld it at the crack but instead of fish plating it I'd get a U shaped collar and bolt it in place around the cracked area. Not sure how I'm going to proceed at this point but I know why I've been reading so many posts here even if I thought in advance they would not pertain to me. So now I'm not only getting operating tips (since I'm new to RV's) but preemptive strikes on maintenance issues as well.

The two holes in the side seem to indicate some one knew about this in the past and tried put a piece of strap metal there using self tapping screws

See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:01 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobert View Post
Both of ours were on the F53 V-10, but as said, it was probably more of a Fleetwood problem rather than a chassis problem I would think. Happy Trails Bert
Jobert,

That was my exact thinking at the time of the post. It is probably a good idea for all gas MH owners to keep an eye on whatever is supporting the area forward of the front axle. On our model there is a large area that 'hangs out' in front and probably heavy as well. From the front axle back the chassis rails provide plenty of support, even for the large overhang behind the rear axle. Best to catch it early when it won't break the bank to fix.

Bob
Old 02-23-2011, 07:14 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the heads-up. I just ran outside in my pjs to check ours and so far no cracks. But that is now on my daily walk around checklist.
High Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:45 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Support tube problem

I just finished repairing my 2004 Bounder 35E (51,000 miles) with a similar problem on both the driver and passenger sides under the dash. I used Bob Ray's guide to great advantage in that effort. I am most grateful for his information, and for all the other observations of folks who have had similar situations. On the driver's side, the factory (Fleetwood) had seemingly just tack welded a joint in the steel tube frame, which had naturally given way. That was steel reinforced and re-welded. On the passenger side there was a crack in the steel frame, and the wood 1X2 that was bracing the end of the dash had come completely detached. That side was repaired with steel frame reinforcing, and a 2" square heavy duty aluminum tube bolted in to replaced the flimsy wood 1X2. So far, it seems to be OK. It was a real pain to get in there on both sides, with my limited tools and skills, but it worked out. My coach is on a Workhorse chassis, but it is obviously a Fleetwood issue.

Once again, I thank all you folks in this group for your input. What a great group!!

Jim
Old 02-26-2011, 08:37 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So then my take on this would be that other Fleetwood gas models would be effected as well, So I should be looking at my 05 Southwind which is built on the Workhorse chassis.
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:41 AM   #23
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I hope you don't get the same rude awakening I did
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:53 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I hope not either and I'm going to be looking! With that being said, I can understand this happening due to the shall I say,,, The Rough Ride Suspension. That has already caused me problems with the front cabinets dropping and removing the television. So I'm sure this figures into the fray!
Old 03-04-2011, 11:02 PM   #25

Spartan Chassis
If you have a loud squeak or rubbing sound when yo go over a dip in the road you definitely want to check for this problem. Look not only for cracks but for failed welds along all this square tubing on both sides of the chassis.

Also do a search in this forum for "Bouncing Dashboard Syndrome" to identify another problem in this same area with the #10 screws Fleetwood uses to secure the doghouse to the chassis. Of the 10 on my coach all but two were either broken or missing. I replaced them with 1" lng #14 screws and have had no further problems.
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:33 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the "Bouncing Dashboard Syndrome" as well! Bounces the radio out of it's dashboad mount. Also the front top cabinets have dropped away from the ceiling, I can't find or figure what they had them attaced to?
These are some of my springtime repairs that I'm looking at! Sometimes I really believe this coach was a mistake!
Old 03-06-2011, 06:28 PM   #27

I had a 1994 34J that had a the bracing come apart above the chassis battery on the right side. Now I have a 2004 35E and I will have to look a all of the tubing.
AB7OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RovinOn View Post
I have the "Bouncing Dashboard Syndrome" as well! Bounces the radio out of it's dashboad mount. Also the front top cabinets have dropped away from the ceiling, I can't find or figure what they had them attaced to?
These are some of my springtime repairs that I'm looking at! Sometimes I really believe this coach was a mistake!
We had all your problems and others as well.(-'04 37C Southwind)The dancing dash is easily fixed with a short strut between the floor and the bottom of the dash using enough steel so that the stress is not concentrated at the bottom of the dash.The matter of the sagging TV cabinet(Fleetwood Gap?) is more difficult and to do this you have to dig up through the insulation above the TV and locate the aluminum roof ribs,secure a steel hanger to same and afix the lower end to the cabinet frame. The original setup had the entertainment cabinet with a 95 pound TV hanging from luan (rec room paneling).Go figure! Your investment will afford you much pleasure if you can get over the doubt that you have expressed and consider the challenges of ownership as a means to stay young!

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote