Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2009, 07:43 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
The Blog at RV.net is having a poll for the best RV manufacturer.
Everyone get over there and support Fleetwood.. they're in the lead so lets keep them there.. GO VOTE!!
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2009, 02:08 PM   #2

Hey Rick. The wife and I are "gonnabees" just after the condo sells. After 1 year of research, we have the Fleetwood 365TSSA or 365BSQS (5er's) on the top of our list. Continued digging, however, shows a lot of dissatisfied Fleetwood owners with the most notable complaint being customer service, both from dealers as well as the company, itself. Enough complaints to make us rethink this major decision. I expect you to be biased but I need convincing. Dialog with me.
StephenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:21 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
First.. I don't own, nor have I ever owned a trailer from any manufacturer.

Second and very important... There will ALWAYS be dissatisfied customers. No matter what you do you will never satisfy some people.. plus you always have to allow for the Stupid Factor, those that create their own problems by NOT reading the instructions or paying attention when given directions.

Now for the sales pitch... NOT going to be one.

You've picked the one you want.. Go buy it. If you don't it's ok... your second one will be a Fleetwood.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:53 PM   #4

wow that is pretty stern , hope you are not a dealer
justcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:32 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
StephenK, Each individual defines quality based on their expectations of the product and or service. It appears you have spent a lot of time searching and I am sure you can find unsatisfied customers of any RV brand on the road today...some justified and some not.

Fleetwood CS has met or exceeded all of my expectations. When my local dealership was jerking me around on warranty repairs Fleetwood CS stood by my side and forced the dealer to comply. As of today, we have no regrets of our selection and eagerly await the delivery of our next Fleetwood MH in 2017.
tmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:28 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Got to agree, we've had zero problems with Fleetwood on any issues with our unit(s). Always prompt, never lagging behind. Dealer makes the difference. If they have a great working relationship with the factory, life is always good.

Our dealer is one of the best we think and they give you the world.
JOMARFL (FMCA 401058) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:41 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club

I will have to agree about Fleetwood. Mine is an older unit but when I called Fleetwood they covered everything I asked. Provided numerous copy’s of prints for everything on the unit. I understand that they now have opened a parts department of there own, you don’t have to go through a dealer. Dealers are another subject the last time I tried to purchase a part was the outside Faucet in the storage area. I literally took the thing apart, took digital picture of it and E-Mailed to the dealer. And I till had to call Fleetwood for the part number. They hadn’t started to sell parts yet then call the dealer back. I was in line at the same dealer waiting to purchase sealer for the roof. The parts person told the lady in front of me to not to tear the rubber roof material as she removed the old vent. And then advised her that after she installed her new vent to seal all around it with some type of Silicone caulk. Naturally I brought her up to date being as I was standing there holding several tubes of self leveling sealer for myself. But I also have to add that over the years I have had numerous brands that have not gone without issues. It is something that will never change some will make you happy, some will not.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:56 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I don't think the problem with Fleetwood is so much the service, I think it's quality. Fleetwood is not alone here either. Many of the other manufacturers are in the same boat. But there are a few who do make a little better effort in construction practices and quality. I took a factory tour of Fleetwood in Riverside, California in 2005 and I could easily see why this is a problem with them.

Now before anyone slam-blasts me, I'm not talking about how the coach looks or feels, I'm talking about in areas down inside places you don't normally look at.

Just one place, what many might think is minor, is on much of the behind the scenes metal work. Metal covering that is just painted without the proper prep work. Including no undercoating at all. Guess what happens when these areas get wet or the coach is parked in areas where there's high humidity and heavy dew.

I've looked at these areas closely both on the gas and diesel coaches, and for the most part there the same. Undercoating that is sparingly applied. Next time you look at a new coach, especially one that's been sitting on the dealers lot, if you're able climb underneath with a flashlight and have a good look around.

And yes, I have a Fleetwood, but I didn't know this about their quality until after the fact. Owning one and digging into it in depth is how I've realized what I've stated here. But I can say this "I definitely will never buy another Fleetwood." But then there's a bunch of other's I won't buy either.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:06 PM   #9

Well here it goes I purchased a new HR in 2003 it spent 3 months in the shop in ga. and wildwood the 1st year I had it. They have a white glove treament found tools,slides did't work leaked so bad water pour out of it Now with that said I believe all brands could do better my new Revolution le rides,runs great no problems in or under the unit. Sometimes there are lemons just like in cars.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:31 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bob:

We just purchased a 2009 Fleetwood Providence this week. I was crawling around under it today just "looking" at how things were put together and one of the things that impressed me was the undercoating and how well it was done. No overspray on engine, transmission, etc components. I suppose it could be argued how thick the coating should be. I feel the most important point would be how well it holds up over time.
So far we are very impressed with our new purchase. (3rd MH)

Ron K
Old 02-28-2009, 05:59 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Congrats on the new MH, Ron.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:00 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Another thing to keep in mind is that more people complain than compliment. My wife and I have a 34G Class A Bounder and we love it. She actually now wants the 35E for the rear bath, but I am over impressed with the customer service with a few of the issues I have had.

Good luck with your Fleetwood.

BounderFreddy

BounderFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:02 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
BounderFreddy, you are correct about the impact of a few complainers. If I am not satisfied with a product or service, I am very vocal but sometimes forget to give praise as often as I should.

OK, life has been good to us so far and the Bounder 35e and Fleetwood CS far exceeded my expectations for the price we paid. I still remember being excited when dad showed up with the Cox camper that got the family off of the ground. We have evolved since then but have the same enthusiasm as we take our positions prior to departure. Bailey even has her own routine prior to departure.

Just like modern media, bad news sells and the squicking wheel gets the grease, while the majority of the population is happy and enjoying life. Even in the current economic times more than 90% of the people who want to work are working and life goes on, especially if you have an income and a good credit score.

All smiles here today...
Old 03-01-2009, 07:48 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

If excellent customer service is your goal, buy an American Coach (luxury division of Fleetwood). American Coaches are built on a separate assembly line from the rest of Fleetwood coaches and the service center and personnel are in a separate facility too. American Coach dealers are usually pretty good (after all, they are getting top dollar), but the factory service is simply outstanding. AC likes to have you come to the factory for service and they make you welcome there. And the prices are reasonable for non-warranty work too.

Revolutions are built on the American Coach line but don't get AC factory service.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote