RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2019, 05:24 PM   #1

Question Fleetwood (Kenwood) Stereo Upgade with Collision Mitigation

We are strongly considering a new Fleetwood Class A. One of the options that is listed is an upgraded stereo with "collision mitigation". Fleetwood's own website gives almost no details other than that and doing a complete web-search hasn't helped all that much, either. Obviously, there would be some type of camera(s) to go along with this thing doing its job but again, I can find nothing. The salesperson really couldn't help, either.

One thing that I love about my last two cars (Subaru Outback and Ford Explorer) is the advanced electronics for safety, especially Adaptive Cruise Control. One of the things I really don't love about our new RV is the fact that none of this technology has made it to the RV industry. While collision mitigation is a far cry from full ACC, it is better than the nothing, which comes standard!

Anyone here seen this specific unit in action or even at a dealer and have any useful info on it for me?

Thanks for any help.
TimmyB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2019, 05:34 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have that upgrade... its a dash cam integrated with the radio and has setting to alert you that you are to close to the car ahead by beeping and warning that yourdistance gap is too small.

I have addaptive cruise control on my Audi... this is nothing like that.

But I do like it for one reason... it is a dash cam and if someone brake checks me. Its recorded.

My "Technology package" included the following:

1. Bluetooth speaker with porch light. (You can connect it to your phone with an app and change the color of the porch light over the door to almost any color and when connected play music thru the speaker.)

2. Wifi extender, cell booster. (15 months so far and never used)
3. Solar panel. ( Has a proper panel on the roof about 4ft x 2 ft not the little one.)
4 the Kenwood stereo and dash cam

Good Luck!
We RV'd ALL of the lower 48 states and into Canada
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 05:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ RV'r View Post
I have that upgrade... its a dash cam integrated with the radio and has setting to alert you that you are to close to the car ahead by beeping and warning that your distance gap is too small.

I have adaptive cruise control on my Audi... this is nothing like that.

But I do like it for one reason... it is a dash cam and if someone brake checks me. Its recorded.

Good Luck!
Well, it's "kinda" like that; it just screams at you to brake instead of actually braking for you!

Have you found it comparable to your Audi in terms of picking up the traffic in front of you in an acceptable fashion?

Thanks for your reply. I do appreciate it greatly!

t
Old 12-05-2019, 06:11 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
Well, it's "kinda" like that; it just screams at you to brake instead of actually braking for you!

Have you found it comparable to your Audi in terms of picking up the traffic in front of you in an acceptable fashion?

Thanks for your reply. I do appreciate it greatly!

t

Listen Iím not going to sugar coat it.... itís nothing to get too excited about.

Itís probably a $250 Kenwood radio and a $120 add on camera. So for under $400 itís ok, just ok...

But remember itís more / better than most RVís have but Itís very entry-level.

To answer your question .... it is NOT comparable to my Audi, but that system probably cost something like $3k. Donít expect that, itís not that.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Listen Iím not going to sugar coat it.... itís nothing to get too excited about.

Itís probably a $250 Kenwood radio and a $120 add on camera. So for under $400 itís ok, just ok...

But remember itís more / better than most RVís have but Itís very entry-level.

To answer your question .... it is NOT comparable to my Audi, but that system probably cost something like $3k. Donít expect that, itís not that.
Yeah, I'm not expecting miracles but I guess my question is more along the lines of "Does it work well enough to keep it on (giving you the heads-up when you need it) or does it pick up false positives and alarm you so often that you find it useless and turn the alerts off."

Like you, I like the fact that it is recording things while you are driving. Again, better than what comes standard on today's RV's.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:50 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes Its worth keeping on...
No it never false alarms because either there is something in front of you or there isn't. I cant think of a single false alarm since new.

All it really does is if you get too close to a car it beeps about once every 10 seconds until you slow down or they speed up and gap is large enough, then it stops beeping. Im pretty sure I bought a memory card and stuck it in the dash cam to record all events while I'm driving. Also I know there are probably lots of settings I should probably check into to make it all better and tailored to my driving I just haven't done it.

If this helps my Kenwood radio is model number - DDX9704S
And the camera is model number DRV-N520

Here's a link to the radio on Amazon---- (It's a "Amazon's Choice") $499

https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-DDX97...5600364&sr=8-1

And here is the camera--- (Also a "Amazon Choice") $148

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0711CB4M1...073HV44CMFirst

What you are looking to buy might have something completely different... obviously.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Yes Its worth keeping on...
No it never false alarms because either there is something in front of you or there isn't. I cant think of a single false alarm since new.

All it really does is if you get too close to a car it beeps about once every 10 seconds until you slow down or they speed up and gap is large enough, then it stops beeping. Im pretty sure I bought a memory card and stuck it in the dash cam to record all events while I'm driving. Also I know there are probably lots of settings I should probably check into to make it all better and tailored to my driving I just haven't done it.

If this helps my Kenwood radio is model number - DDX9704S
And the camera is model number DRV-N520

Here's a link to the radio on Amazon---- (It's a "Amazon's Choice") $499

https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-DDX97...5600364&sr=8-1

And here is the camera--- (Also a "Amazon Choice") $148

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0711CB4M1...073HV44CMFirst

What you are looking to buy might have something completely different... obviously.
That helps IMMENSELY! And, it tells me the price from Fleetwood is really quite reasonable if the uninstalled price from Amazon is 650.

The reason for my question about false alarms is, if the camera is crap it can pick up cars in other lanes and freak out because of that. Sounds like that's not the case.

Thanks, again! Very much appreciate the good info.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:00 AM   #8

Android Auto

Hey Tim, My Bounder came with this system installed. Unfortunately I have not had the chance to actually drive with it to be able to give you real world experience... That being said... The camera looks pretty lame, I expect it will be more valuable as a dash cam to provide collision evidence rather then actually preventing any collisions.

But what I love about it was that the upgraded stereo gives you the modern touches of Android Auto or Apple Auto Play. The standard stereo does not have those features. In all of the 2020 models we looked at, Fleetwood was the only company who actually offered modern technology when it comes to those features... The salesman at a Newmar dealership we spoke to did not even know what Android Auto was. The screen is also larger and has a tilt option so you can adjust the angle to your comfort.

I also love the two screens on the Fleetwood so stereo or GPS operation does not interfere with my review camera. On my old rig with only one screen, my bride would invariably be changing the radio station when I needed the cameras to assist with a lane change.

2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P / 2015 Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
Hey Tim, My Bounder came with this system installed. Unfortunately I have not had the chance to actually drive with it to be able to give you real world experience... That being said... The camera looks pretty lame, I expect it will be more valuable as a dash cam to provide collision evidence rather then actually preventing any collisions.

But what I love about it was that the upgraded stereo gives you the modern touches of Android Auto or Apple Auto Play. The standard stereo does not have those features. In all of the 2020 models we looked at, Fleetwood was the only company who actually offered modern technology when it comes to those features... The salesman at a Newmar dealership we spoke to did not even know what Android Auto was. The screen is also larger and has a tilt option so you can adjust the angle to your comfort.

I also love the two screens on the Fleetwood so stereo or GPS operation does not interfere with my review camera. On my old rig with only one screen, my bride would invariably be changing the radio station when I needed the cameras to assist with a lane change.
Thanks, Gris! Definitely keep me posted with any updates.

Big surprise that the salesperson wasn't up on Android Auto. smh

In my Vegas, I actually went in and added a second (9") monitor that I mounted in the center tray, right above the stereo for a dedicated camera monitor. It is 1000 times better than the 5" Axxera monitor and it's always on. I discovered that I didn't even need to mess with the trigger wires like I thought I would because the monitor is so big and clear that I know when I've cleared the other vehicle and it's safe to come back to the other lane. I like that the Bounder has a 2nd monitor built in but I don't like their placement of it. It seemed very unnatural to look to the left (instead of to the center and to the right for the last 46 years of driving) but I hope my eyes get used to it.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:38 PM   #10

Garmin GPS v Google/Waze

Now the next thing I need is to convince Google to add the features of my Garmin GPS to their Google Maps / Waze apps to make the Android Auto even more useable.

I love my Garmin GPS. That I can program vehicle dimensions into it and avoid things like low bridges and overly sharp turns that units as big as ours cannot navigate. Until the "All Seeing G" adds those features I will be looking at three screens instead of two.

Old 10-27-2020, 10:28 PM   #11

Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
Now the next thing I need is to convince Google to add the features of my Garmin GPS to their Google Maps / Waze apps to make the Android Auto even more useable.

I love my Garmin GPS. That I can program vehicle dimensions into it and avoid things like low bridges and overly sharp turns that units as big as ours cannot navigate. Until the "All Seeing G" adds those features I will be looking at three screens instead of two.
Is your Kenwood the same 970 the OP has or did you get the new 775 that's made for rvs and trucks. Just curious. Waiting for my PA to be delivered and the salesman die not know
Joediver22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joediver22 View Post
Is your Kenwood the same 970 the OP has or did you get the new 775 that's made for rvs and trucks. Just curious. Waiting for my PA to be delivered and the salesman die not know
Same as the OP.. We actually have identical rigs

I did not know that option existed.... Conveniently my rig is at the shop where they will be replacing my Kenwood because it never worked properly... time for some quick research and a call to my service rep!

Old 10-28-2020, 09:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joediver22 View Post
Wow, that's a nice looking HU. I wish that had been available for the 2020 model. We ended up going with a stand-alone Garmin 780 for nav. As much as I like that new unit, I actually think I'll be happier with the 780 for the simple fact that both of us can operate the Garmin while we are co-pilots. Where the HU resides, there would be no way for the passenger to help navigate to somewhere.
Old 10-28-2020, 04:51 PM   #14

Still waiting on a reply from my rep, I suspect they will have already ordered my replacement so I may by out of luck. But I had a look at that model and it has a few feature I like. The ability to connect two phones and control the stereo remotely is a big plus for us, it drives my bride nuts that she can’t easily access the stereo from the passenger seat. And I have to admit from a safety perspective I prefer her surfing for channels while I keep my eyes on the road.

It is interesting that the GPS difference is really just a software upgrade. It uses the same system as my standalone Garmin GPS.

I will admit, similar to TimmyB’s comment, I do like having the GPS on it’s own screen so that it does not interfere with my other systems and DW can assist with navigation if needed.

Tags
fleetwood