Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2004, 10:37 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quoted from Towbars Unlimited (a distributor of auxiliary braking systems)

"As a result of a class action lawsuit, Fleetwood has acknowledged the need for assisted braking systems for towed vehicles behind their motor homes based on their revised tow rating. Originally Fleetwood's rating was 4,000 and now it is 1,000. Workhorse Chassis (one of Fleetwood's chassis OEM's) has endorsed US Gear as the recommended braking system. Fleetwood's settlement provides the consumer with a $250 rebate with the purchase of ANY braking system from 10/1/03 through 4/15/04."

Details and forms for the rebate are available at The BrakingClaims Website

For those owners who can take advantage of the rebate, now certainly seems like the right time to make the investment.

2002 Winnebago Journey DL 36GD
Freightliner Chassis, Cat 330
Chevy Malibu Toad, Blue Ox Aventa II, USG Brake
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2004, 10:37 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quoted from Towbars Unlimited (a distributor of auxiliary braking systems)

"As a result of a class action lawsuit, Fleetwood has acknowledged the need for assisted braking systems for towed vehicles behind their motor homes based on their revised tow rating. Originally Fleetwood's rating was 4,000 and now it is 1,000. Workhorse Chassis (one of Fleetwood's chassis OEM's) has endorsed US Gear as the recommended braking system. Fleetwood's settlement provides the consumer with a $250 rebate with the purchase of ANY braking system from 10/1/03 through 4/15/04."

Details and forms for the rebate are available at The BrakingClaims Website

For those owners who can take advantage of the rebate, now certainly seems like the right time to make the investment.

2002 Winnebago Journey DL 36GD
Freightliner Chassis, Cat 330
Chevy Malibu Toad, Blue Ox Aventa II, USG Brake
Old 01-08-2004, 01:53 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Thanks for the post Joe-K. It's been awhile since we've hooked up at a campground but I'm sure that our paths will again cross. Workhorse as you mentioned partnered up with US Gear and they have thrown their endorsement behind the the US Gear system. The rebate offer is a generous one and as you suggested this would be a good time to get an auxiliary braking system.

<font color=blue>03 Winnebago 38G/Workhorse W22 "¢ 22.5" Tire "¢ Adventurer
02 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS
Aventa II "¢ Brake Buddy
Nor'Easters
"We Will "¢ 343 "¢ Never Forget"</font color>

<font color=red>88 "¢ Robert Yates Racing "¢ 38
</font color>
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 06:18 PM   #4

Can you get this on a 2004 southwind now?
hottubkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 12:40 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As I recall, the rebate was for specific years of Fleetwood products. I know that a 2004 Pace Arrow did not qualify.

2017 F150 Toad
r2dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 03:59 PM   #6

This is what I posted in July of 03 when this suit had just been settled.

"Everybody's pretty much aware of the fact that a group of lawyers made a killing by taking a case to court that is just another example,IMO, of how litegeous this country has become.It stems from the fact that Fleetwood did not put stickers on everything back in 1994-2000 stating that if you tow 4 down, you need a braking system. Sorry if I sound harsh, but if you don't know that you should have a supplemental braking system for a toad, you should not be towing one. It means, among other things,that you haven't bothered to check your state laws. It also means that you apparently don't care about safety or the fact that if you're found guilty of being at fault in an accident your insurance company will gladly deny any claims you make. If some nitwit actually suffered a problem and is trying to tag the manufacturer, there is another example of the way our legal system is bogged down with people trying to get others to pay for their own stupidity.I think very little of any attorney that would attempt to file such a suit, and think even less of the people that would join in...
I don't know who initiated this suit, but I do know that it has accomplished nothing but add more fuel to others that are standing in line to make a buck where they don't really deserve it. After examining a link that was supplied on another forum about the firm that handled this,they appear to be a real bunch of professional ambulance chasers. Lawsuits have their place, but frivolous ones such as this, along with the McDonalds hot coffee case, and the settlements that the tobacco companies are making make a mockery out of the legal system. It used to be that the courts were there to meter justice - it would appear today that they disburse cash.
I hope I never meet anyone that brags about the $250 check they got for nothing... "

My opinion of this has not changed.

2005 Revolution LE 40E
Steve Val is offline   Reply With Quote