Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2014, 08:29 PM   #1

Fleetwood Peace Arrow 1984

Hey guys! I'm new to the site, forum and RV'ing... I just purchased a 1984 Fleetwood Peace Arrow with a Chevy 454 big block...
My question is about the power cord that you plug into a 220 volt socket to run the RV lights and appliances. It has no batteries yet and I plugged up the RV to my business's socket (3 phase electrical outlet). The Rv lights up and some sort of pump or electrical generator can be heard coming on, not the gas generator, and it runs for 10 seconds and cuts off. It does this in 5 minute cycles. So, I only have inside lights and appliances for 10 seconds every 5 minutes. What is this and why???? Any and all help would be appreciated!!!
BigSneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2014, 08:36 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSneed View Post
Hey guys! I'm new to the site, forum and RV'ing... I just purchased a 1984 Fleetwood Peace Arrow with a Chevy 454 big block...
My question is about the power cord that you plug into a 220 volt socket to run the RV lights and appliances. It has no batteries yet and I plugged up the RV to my business's socket (3 phase electrical outlet). The Rv lights up and some sort of pump or electrical generator can be heard coming on, not the gas generator, and it runs for 10 seconds and cuts off. It does this in 5 minute cycles. So, I only have inside lights and appliances for 10 seconds every 5 minutes. What is this and why???? Any and all help would be appreciated!!!
Warning… dont plug it in to a 220 outlet. Even if the plug will fit. I believe your rv runs off 110 volts. If your rv is not designed to run off 220 volts bad things will happen.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:30 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
X'2 I have a 82 and mine is 30amp 120
Could it be your water pump telling you too much power??
Tim,
Welcome and don't forget to check out the Vintage section.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:35 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to the forum Bigsneed!

There is no way to get 240 from a campground 30 amp connector. I believe the 3 prongs are Ground, Neutral and Hot.

For what you are trying to do you can pick up an adapter from walmart for 5 dollars. If you didn't fry something than you'll be able to turn on the lights, furnace, etc.

Road Power 09524-75-08 Right Angle 30-15-Amp RV Power Adapter - Walmart.com
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:48 AM   #5

Oh man, unplug that thing quick! Do NOT turn anything on until you're set up correctly using the adapter mentioned above. That plug on the power cord just looks like a 220 plug. It is not!

That's probably an auto reset circuit breaker popping and resetting causing your lights to go on and off. It's only going to do that so long prior to overheating and cooking itself.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:03 AM   #6

Thanks Guys

Yea, I just figured since it was a big plug, it should be plugged into a big socket, at it matched up perfectly with the socket my commercial ovens run off of.... Needless to say, I do think I messed up the microwave, and I fried a vaccume cleaner, then I unplugged it.... And yes, it is a 30a plug. I sat down and took a crash course online on electricity and various sockets, amps vs volts vs watts etc..... I learned my first lesson in my new life of RV'ing. #1. Know a little bit about electricity before you go tinkering with stuff!!!

The noise I could here: It is separate from the water pump, and I believe it is the battery charging unit with the main electrical box under the rear bed. When it kicks on, the lights get very bright inside (extra amps from battery charger).??? Still think it could be something else??? I bought battery and hooked it up. The lights finally came on and stayed on, and they just got brighter every time that noise kicked in. It is a motor of some sort....
BigSneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:26 AM   #7

Let me get home I'll send the trouble shooting on that along with all the manuals
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:34 AM   #8

It's the converter kicking on to charge the batteries. Wonder it still works.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 03:19 AM   #9

1983 Fleetwood Pace Arrow Owners Manuals
see if this helps i have more
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood, peace arrow