Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2017, 04:27 PM   #1

Fleetwood roof leaks

Evening, I have an 05 expedition 38n , bought used. Finally found source of leak I have at fwd right side above door.
Water dripping in at wall to roof seam above door, above where door awning attaches.
Using hose on roof I only spayed this area so it's not running under from other parts of roof. Seems to be leaking from where rain gutter attaches to top of side wall.
Anyone familiar with how these are built up?
I'm guessing water going through a rivet hole with loose rivet, and or also bouncing up off door slide which is real close to that seam, the rail is loose as I pull on it in a few areas.
I'm assuming I can just re pop this down maybe throw some dicor under it and in the rivet holes when I replace them?
Thanks in advance.
JLWoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2017, 04:29 PM   #2

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0464.JPG
Views:	1212
Size:	994.9 KB
ID:	172822
Old 08-13-2017, 04:37 PM   #3

Name:	IMG_0467.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	172823
This is a pic from inside. At top by the wire bundle that the top pice of frame for the side wall. Water coming in between that frame outer edge and outer wall fiberglass sheathing. I'm assuming the drip rail is just pop riveted to that top frame piece.
This leak had clearly been their a long time but thankfully the other wall is fiberglass, the inner Luna in all that area is done. But can be removed and hidden by the cabinet inner wall once leak fixed.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:50 AM   #4

Anyone
Old 08-23-2017, 09:28 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Do you caulk/seal the drip rail/gutter? I use no sag dicor on the top where it meets the roof and on the underside of rail/gutter where it meets the out side wall panel the whole length of the RV. I check and do this twice a year while cleaning roof. And keep in mind, from my stick home just because you have a wet spot here it could be coming in from somewhere else. Vents, AC, skylights, around dryer vent,rivets. I calk all.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:24 AM   #6

Yes I caulk top of gutter along roof seam with dicor. All penetrations and seams and screws have been scrapped clean and resealed. All running lights sealed. Have not done underside of gutter and up front where my leak is it's the gutter over my door awning that is leaking so it could be splashing up under the gutter, so that's a good idea. Thanks.
I know it's this area as I can spray with garden hose and duplicate leak spraying only that area on the roof.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:47 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Leak

Good Luck
Old 08-26-2017, 07:10 PM   #8

Ive never done the drip rail underneath before.. you maybe on to something. Thanks
GBDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:55 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLWoodward View Post
Yes I caulk top of gutter along roof seam with dicor. All penetrations and seams and screws have been scrapped clean and resealed. All running lights sealed. Have not done underside of gutter and up front where my leak is it's the gutter over my door awning that is leaking so it could be splashing up under the gutter, so that's a good idea. Thanks.
I know it's this area as I can spray with garden hose and duplicate leak spraying only that area on the roof.
Hello
Were you ever able to resolve this leak? I have an almost identical leak in my '07 Excursion and have not been able to get it fixed yet.

Thanks in advance

Jim
Old 03-18-2018, 08:37 AM   #10

My leak is not completely fixed but slowed to where area only gets damp versus filling a bucket in a rain storm
Old 03-18-2018, 06:34 PM   #11

JL, i finally got mine stopped! Water will suck through a crack but not through a hole. In an old engineering class we cut a hole and a slit in a piece op paper and laid it on water, surface tension will suck it up through the slit and not the hole. It seems that most or the Fleetwood’s I’ve looked at had issues with leaks under the j channel,where the fiberglass sheet separates or the sealant dries out?? After watching water run off( especially around the awnings) it pour over the j Chanel and around and back up under it to the crack between the channel and the fiberglass. This is also under the rivets in the J Chanel. After inspecting my whole coach, it seems all the glass sheets have some separation. I used black caulk up under the j chanel and all is dry now. Previously i had sealed the rivets and sealed the roof at the top of the j channel and still had my leaks. Hope this helps
GBDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:24 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
GBTBN
Would you please post a picture of the passenger side termination of your drip rail where it butts into the molding the curves down toward the ground. Do you have a short gutter extension on that drip rail end? Attached is a photo of the area in question on my rig that is now leaking.

Since this photo was taken I have removed all of the old sealant around that joint and will replace.

Thanks for all of your help on this pesky leak.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0969.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	195975  
Old 03-19-2018, 07:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBDTN View Post
JL, i finally got mine stopped! Water will suck through a crack but not through a hole. In an old engineering class we cut a hole and a slit in a piece op paper and laid it on water, surface tension will suck it up through the slit and not the hole. It seems that most or the Fleetwood’s I’ve looked at had issues with leaks under the j channel,where the fiberglass sheet separates or the sealant dries out?? After watching water run off( especially around the awnings) it pour over the j Chanel and around and back up under it to the crack between the channel and the fiberglass. This is also under the rivets in the J Chanel. After inspecting my whole coach, it seems all the glass sheets have some separation. I used black caulk up under the j chanel and all is dry now. Previously i had sealed the rivets and sealed the roof at the top of the j channel and still had my leaks. Hope this helps

Thanks so much, when I get round to replacing rest of rivets I will seal under the entire j rail.
Holding on doing this as I'm considering putting new tpo down but maybe I'll just do this and delay new roof for a while.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:26 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
JL
Is your drip rail riveted? The rail on my rig is secured with screws. There is also what appears to be brutal sealant/adhesive behind the drip rail. I can send you pictures if you like.

Jim

Tags
leak, leaks, roof, fleetwood