RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2020, 01:29 PM   #1

Fleetwood Southwind making popping noise

I have a 2018 Southwind. If you take a wood 2x4 and slam it on a desk or counter top, you will have thee noise my coach makes. The noise is above the driver. It usually happens when the coach turns and twists, or sometimes when we hit a bump in the road. If you can help, please tell me what it could be. I have already checked the following: Cabinets, TV, front windshield and side glass, drop down bed over driver. Thanks-Dan
SERGEANTROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2020, 01:32 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How did you check the antenna? The batwing antenna on my Bounder did that.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:49 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I know you sent me a PM. I took mine out for an exercise drive this morning of about 20 miles, and as I was driving I was trying to think of what you could have popping. I currently have over 14k miles and have never once heard any sounds like you are describing in the front of my coach.

Best guess is something like.... one of the cabinets either above the side window or over the windshield has a screw loose and the wood is working itself off the wall 1/2" or so from the wall it's supposed to be attached to... and when you hit a bump or turn it slams back against the fastening wall. All the screws could be found using a magnet going over the grey carpet material in the cabinets. The screws could be hard to find but a magnet should tell you where they all are pretty quickly.

On side note. I did have one sound that did scare me till I figured out was. I had a loud pop coming from the floor. It turns out it was rocks that I picked up in the tread, would sometimes work loose and hit the floor board under my feet... it sounded like a gunshot when I was going 65 down the highway. Any possibility this sound is playing tricks with your ears and its coming from somewhere else, and thats why you cant find it?

Good Luck!
We RV'd ALL of the lower 48 states and into Canada
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ RV'r View Post
I know you sent me a PM. I took mine out for an exercise drive this morning of about 20 miles, and as I was driving I was trying to think of what you could have popping. I currently have over 14k miles and have never once heard any sounds like you are describing in the front of my coach.

Best guess is something like.... one of the cabinets either above the side window or over the windshield has a screw loose and the wood is working itself off the wall 1/2" or so from the wall it's supposed to be attached to... and when you hit a bump or turn it slams back against the fastening wall. All the screws could be found using a magnet going over the grey carpet material in the cabinets. The screws could be hard to find but a magnet should tell you where they all are pretty quickly.

On side note. I did have one sound that did scare me till I figured out was. I had a loud pop coming from the floor. It turns out it was rocks that I picked up in the tread, would sometimes work loose and hit the floor board under my feet... it sounded like a gunshot when I was going 65 down the highway. Any possibility this sound is playing tricks with your ears and its coming from somewhere else, and thats why you cant find it?

Good Luck!
Thanks AZ, I took the panels out of the cabinets and found no loose screws. Also the noise is coming from above and rocks from the tires is not the culprit.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:16 AM   #5

The drivers side wheel well panel on my 2016 came loose and would make a banging sound while I was driving. Took a while for me to find it. Just a thought
Old 09-14-2020, 10:21 PM   #6

Southwind noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajayabb View Post
The drivers side wheel well panel on my 2016 came loose and would make a banging sound while I was driving. Took a while for me to find it. Just a thought
Thanks, I'll check that out also.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:47 PM   #7

The antennae did that on my Pace Arrow. Checked it and had a broken bracket which I was able to replace up top and got rid of sound. Good luck.

(Had a noise like that on a XL passenger van and found a ceiling joist weld broken. Replaced with a home made one made of oak and stopped that noise. )
Old 09-15-2020, 11:00 PM   #8

I'll keep searching

I will keep searching every suggestion.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SERGEANTROCK View Post
I will keep searching every suggestion.
I searched the antenna and the wheel well this morning. No luck.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:37 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
When you drive it do you have a person with you that can search for the sound? Is it something you ca reproduce at will? Like in an empty parking lot while turning and going over a speed bump?

Keep us posted because you would think, such a loud sound, would be easy to find. Now Im curious to know what it ends up being.

Good Luck

PS your profile says you still have a Thor Windsport.... gonna need to change that.
We RV'd ALL of the lower 48 states and into Canada
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 11:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ RV'r View Post
When you drive it do you have a person with you that can search for the sound? Is it something you ca reproduce at will? Like in an empty parking lot while turning and going over a speed bump?

Keep us posted because you would think, such a loud sound, would be easy to find. Now Im curious to know what it ends up being.

Good Luck

PS your profile says you still have a Thor Windsport.... gonna need to change that.
Yes I have had 10 people at different times searching. It makes the popping noise in a parking lot going over speed bumps. 2-3 miles per hour it always happens.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:04 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Check the driver side slideout, the top of the slide will flop in and out when going over certain bumps or curbs that cause quick side to side rocking. Slide locks will solve the problem, can be purchased relatively cheap on line, easy to install, just twist into place between inboard slide lip and wall.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:23 AM   #13

If it's very windy while driving, I sometimes get that sound.
It's coming from the Slide "Topper"; the little awning that comes out when your slide is out. It's spring loaded and the wind can get under it and cause the topper to unwind a bit and then it suddenly retracts again and slams into the wall.

I've seen it happen in my mirror!

Mike
mxw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:31 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
GNRVNG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood, noise, southwind, wind