RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2020, 07:29 PM   #1

Fleetwood Terra 2014, Loft Bed Doesnít Lock in Stored Position

Today while getting ready to move my 2014 Fleetwood Terra 35K, the loft bed slowly descended to sleeping position.

We had used the Terra since Friday, lowered the bed into the sleeping position without problem.

Monday I raise the loft bed into the storage position, but it didnít lock in the raised position. After less than two minutes the loft bed began to fall back to the sleeping position.

I raised and lowered the bed several times and noticed there was an electrical sound coming from the motor once the bed was fully raised. I also found some loose wires that I hadnít noticed before near the loft motor that were mounted in the cabinet above the driverís seat, the cabinet to the left of the driver, not in front of the driver.

This is the first time Iíve had trouble with the loft bed lowering on its own.

I bought the rig used last spring with 1500 miles, really, used three times, and then the couple divorced in 2019. My luck.

Basically itís new, not used by the previous owner because they bought a lake house after going out the three times. This is one of those stories you canít make up.

I tried to find a YouTube video, but only found one from Thor.

The thing is I donít have a loft bed manufacturerís oem manual, nor do I see where a safety pin like the Thor video showed is to be installed. I didnít have any safety pin when I bought it, nor did I have any problems until now with the bed lowering by itself.

Going on vacation next week to the Outer Banks, need help.

Oh, Iím going to REV Thursday, but would like any help before then. Iím camping out till Wednesday after I get off Tuesday.

Thanks.

Terra2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2020, 10:42 AM   #2

I believe that if you do a search on this subject there was a discussion on the mechanics of the system. I have the same bed in my storm. I think I have a manual for it. I have to look through my stuff. Contact rev svc in Decatur and they should be able to email one to you. Iíve been there myself and they were great. Heave your list ready so the technicians can jump right on it the morning of your appointment.

Old 06-24-2020, 07:34 AM   #3

Fixed!

I did find an instruction sheet/webpage link for the loft.

After reviewing the instruction sheet I realized that the travel pins werenít ingaged. Infact I didnít have any travel pins. But, this wasnít the problem.

Some how the electric brake was disengaged. Thereís a roll pin that appeared to lock either the electric brake switch in the engaged position, or had just backed out enough to allow the electric brake to be disengaged. There was a caution I had read that improper operation is a costly repair. Luck me that wasnít the case.

Anyways, got on the lowered loft bed, unscrewed the mounting screws for the electric brake, first attempted to straitened, then move the switch to the on position, but couldnít. Not knowing what the roll pin really did I only hammered it in till I could operate the switch. It appears it maybe a lock for the electric brake to be on.

Funny thing, I couldnít read the instructions on the electric brake until I got it off (bad eyesight). It said with the electric brake in the off position the bed will migrate down from the travel position.

Out of all the documents that I got with the Terra, the operation manual for the loft bed was missing. Iíll print of the instructions from the internet, and get REV to give me a pdf, or printed, copy.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

Hope this helps somebody out as well.
Old 06-25-2020, 11:43 AM   #4

On my loft bed on the back of the motor is a lever arm that if rotated out of its notched position will cause the bed to slowly descend. The solution is to rotate the lever arm clockwise until it locks back in place to that notched position, problem solved.

-Kevin
Old 06-26-2020, 04:23 AM   #5

Thanks again all the helpful suggestions.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:05 PM   #6

Thanks!

After driving from Indiana to Norfolk this 4th of July I’m happy to report no additional storage problems with the loft bed.

Again thanks for all the replies.

Tags
fleetwood