Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2008, 12:03 PM   #1

Can someone tell me please it's not true that I have to pu;; up the kitchen floor to replace my fresh water tank on our 34H Expedition!!!
jlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2008, 12:03 PM   #2

Can someone tell me please it's not true that I have to pu;; up the kitchen floor to replace my fresh water tank on our 34H Expedition!!!
Old 10-26-2008, 12:14 PM   #3

You did not give the year of your unit but on most Bounder/ Expeditions the water tank is visible in the basement and should come out through the bay door. Why do you have to take the tank out?
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:29 PM   #4

It's a 2006 Expedition and the problem is that with or without the slide out, there's still a corrugated side wall on both sides diretly above the frame rails so removal laterally is impossible. Looking through the bay door to the rear of the slide however reveals the piping that runs laterally across the coach to the rear of the tank which takes a 90-degree turn and enters the top of the tank on the rear side. Access to this area is literally 8" X 8" and the only way to see the tank. That being said, the inlet to the tank has a crack in it so when I fill the tank, water leaks out until its level is below the crack. I hope this makes sense and you can visualize what I'm up against.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:33 PM   #5

We're literally a couple of phone calls away from upgrading to an Country Coach but I've got to get this fixed first.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:09 PM   #6

If you can touch the cracked area it can be plastic welded without removal.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:32 PM   #7

Thanks. That'll be the ticket, then. But what if I had to remove it? I can't believe they put the tank in and then motorhomed around it!
Old 10-26-2008, 05:42 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Why is that so hard to believe. Even in a stick house, the basic plumbing & electrical goes in before the walls and floors are added. But then, that stick house is not subject to the stresses that an Rv is and is far less likely to need replacement of basic system components.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:38 PM   #9

jlames,

As it happens, our coach is at the dealer right now for this very issue. I spent the better part of a day trying to find access and had assumed access had to be through the floor. Once at the dealer, the service advisor said access gained with the slide out (not sure which one yet). He said there is a removable access cover behind the slide storage compartment.

We're supposed to get the coach back Friday (?). Before we leave the dealer, I'll ask them to show me where it's located and I'll let you know.

Steve
Old 10-28-2008, 03:20 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
My Pace Arrow, also Fleetwood has the panel Steve mentions on the street side that you can get to once the slide is out. It has about 20 or so hex head screws that holds it in place. I removed mine once just to see what I could see. It provides a large opening but even then I'd hate to have to remove a tank. In mine there are two tanks that a connected together. One tank, 85 gallons, would be too big to get out.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:33 AM   #11

jlames,

Sorry about the delay. Friday pickup turned out to be Tuesday pickup.

Anyway, as promised, when I picked up our coach, I asked Randy (the Tech who performed the repair) which side the access panel is on. He said "both".

As Bob WA0MQE said, you get them out (our 38N has two fresh tanks) through the access on the street side, but before removal, the attached plumbing must be disconnected and this is largely done through the panel on the curb side. If the rear-most tank is the bad boy, the front-most tank has to come out first so you can get the rear most out (I know it sounds hokey, but it beats digging up the floor of the coach). To access either panel, the front slides are extended and YOU are wedged in between the slide and the chassis.

Randy said that while it can be a pain, its really not that bad if you are patient. From the sound of it, he's a real patient guy.

jlames, I hope you've already resolved the problem. If not, I hope this is of some use.

Steve
Old 11-26-2008, 12:34 PM   #12

jlames,

Just curious, how did things work out?

Steve