Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2019, 11:30 PM   #1

Ford V10 No Crank

Just completed a 5000 mile trip. Had some excitement with No Crank happening a few times. Got to the point I was afraid to turn it off.

Here is a video I put together showing 5 steps to diagnosing the problem and what I did to fix it.

https://youtu.be/BnjmKxLLIkY
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2019, 02:22 PM   #2

The ignition switch is NOT located behind the key. It is located on top of the steering column, under the dash.
You failed to note the most prominent starter problem with the F53 chassis.
There is a starter relay before the solenoid, that has a high failure rate.
The ford starter and solenoid is a very durable item, that lasts for many years.
My OEM 95 starter and solenoid is going on 167,000 miles. The relay has been changed twice.
Thanks for your effort.
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:29 PM   #3

Do you have a picture of that relay?
I was under me 2012 Bounder today and it looks like the positive cable goes from the battery to a bus block and then to starter solenoid.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:21 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't know if this is the same on yours, but on my 1999 there is an additional start relay (solenoid) mounted on the passenger side radiator support. It can be seen by looking in the passenger side front wheel well. This is a very bad location because its exposed to anything the tire kicks up, road salts, rock, gravel, water, etc... A common failure is broken wires and connections at on the solenoid. You can see the photos on my site.

NOTE - Ignore the red arrow in the photo, its showing where there was a missing bolt that holds the transmission cooler to the support. The solenoid is just below the red arrow.

The starter itself is also exposed to the same road crap, AND, it also gets cooked by the exhaust system. I installed a heat shield on my starter to help reduce the heat exposure.

Replacing starter on F53 – 1999 Southwind 35S

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavnTheWales View Post
Do you have a picture of that relay?
I was under me 2012 Bounder today and it looks like the positive cable goes from the battery to a bus block and then to starter solenoid.
Look close at that bus block. If it has many wires and 2 large posts, That's the solenoid. Ford uses it as a junction point for battery power to the rest of the chassis.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by House Husband View Post
The ignition switch is NOT located behind the key. It is located on top of the steering column, under the dash.
You failed to note the most prominent starter problem with the F53 chassis.
There is a starter relay before the solenoid, that has a high failure rate.
The ford starter and solenoid is a very durable item, that lasts for many years.
My OEM 95 starter and solenoid is going on 167,000 miles. The relay has been changed twice.
Thanks for your effort.
Looks like the 2012 is a little different than yours. I traced the wires from battery to bus block and then directly to the starter. There was no additional relay like the older models.

Maybe that’s why these new starters are not as reliable as the old ones. The relay must now be built into the solenoid and it fails due to the heat from the exhaust.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I don't know if this is the same on yours, but on my 1999 there is an additional start relay (solenoid) mounted on the passenger side radiator support. It can be seen by looking in the passenger side front wheel well. This is a very bad location because its exposed to anything the tire kicks up, road salts, rock, gravel, water, etc... A common failure is broken wires and connections at on the solenoid. You can see the photos on my site.

NOTE - Ignore the red arrow in the photo, its showing where there was a missing bolt that holds the transmission cooler to the support. The solenoid is just below the red arrow.

The starter itself is also exposed to the same road crap, AND, it also gets cooked by the exhaust system. I installed a heat shield on my starter to help reduce the heat exposure.

Replacing starter on F53 – 1999 Southwind 35S

The only thing in that location on mine is a ground connection with a cover over it. Maybe Ford replaced the relay with this and did away with the relay on my 2012.

Tags
ford, v10