Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2010, 06:02 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford V10 rattles at start up in 30 degree temp

I have rig in sig. It is actually a 2008 Ford chassis. I have on two occasions been in 30 degree weather and started the engine. Both times I heard a noisy rattle type noise coming from the engine compartment. Once the engine starts to warm up the noise goes away. It has only happened twice when the temp was cooler.
Do I have an issue or is it engine design?

Thanks
Not a Clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Well, it probably wasn't designed to rattle. Usually there is a damper somewhere in the air intake that closes during the initial warm-up in cold weather. Yours may be out of alignment or loose and causing the rattle. Could also be what was known as a "heat riser" in the exhaust manifold, but I didn't think those were in use any more. They were notorious for that cold weather rattle, though. I'm not real familiar with the late model Ford engine set-up, so can't be real helpful. Hopefully somebody else can chime in with better ideas.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:43 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Heat Riser

RV Roamer,

Yes, that is what I was wondering, about the heat riser. I couldn't remember what is was called, but that is what it sounds like.
Hopefully someone is familiar with the newer V10 and help me out even more.

Thanks,
Linda
Old 01-10-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Some of the earlier V-10s had a slight piston slap at start up. It was slightly worse at colder temperatures. The heat riser can do this a as well.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:48 PM   #5

We had a like noise on startup in cold weather. It turned out to be the clutch cycling rapidly on the cooling fan. It was replaced and no further noise.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:23 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Linda and Robin:

We have a 2008 V-10 chassis, it does not have a heat riser and we do not get any rattling even when starting in 15 degree weather. Perhaps you could try to pinpoint the source of the noise and get a better idea of what it is. If you do suspect it's from the engine itself, the 2008 will still be under Ford's warranty so hopefully you can reproduce the noise at a dealer one cold morning and they can help.

Good luck!
Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:39 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
Linda and Robin:

We have a 2008 V-10 chassis, it does not have a heat riser and we do not get any rattling even when starting in 15 degree weather. Perhaps you could try to pinpoint the source of the noise and get a better idea of what it is. If you do suspect it's from the engine itself, the 2008 will still be under Ford's warranty so hopefully you can reproduce the noise at a dealer one cold morning and they can help.

Good luck!
Stewart
Yeah, that's the problem, trying to find 30 degree weather is southern ca. My son might be out in March, maybe he can crawl under there and figure it out. Strange.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:44 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Make sure you are using the correct oil viscosity 5w-20, and a motorcraft filter, I have seen where the wrong oil was installed 10w-30 or 10w-40 and aftermarket filter, drain and refill with the correct oil and filter and see what happens.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:46 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is no "heat Riser" on any ford engine built after 1997, All Ford EFI engines do not have any heat risers.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just a thought......
When you start the engine in cold weather look at your oil guage on the dash when you crank up ........ It should be on zero pressure with the engine off. When you start the engine pay close attention to the guage. Crank the engine and time how long it takes the oil pressure guage to MOVE. If the ''rattle'' continues until the oil pressure guage reaches optimum pressure and then the ''rattle'' stops with oil pressure on the engine,,,,,,,,,,, you could have a pick up on the oil pump that is leaking or plugged up. I am not sure of this but I believe the oil pump has a non return valve in it to keep oil from draining back into the engine when the engine is stopped. If I am right, that ''non return'' valve is not working properly.
I believe the noise you hear is CRANKSHAFT KNOCKING... pure and simple untill you build up enough oil pressure in the system to ''float'' the crankshaft away from the connecting rods.
One thing I base this on is when you change your oil in your coach you will notice that you can sometimes get a rattle when you first crank your coach with a new filter. the reason being that it takes the oil pump some time to ''FILL THE FILTER'' and pressurise the engine properly. I change my own oil most of the time and I always set the filter in the box and take a quart of oil and pour the filter almost full of oil. This prevents that ''dry start'' and seem to help the engine .... When I have my oil changed by some Gomer I tell him to do the same. One guy told me that it was not necessary and I told him that I was having a bad hair day (im bald headed) and was in a really bad mood( hemoroids) and that I was old (70) and I didnt mind going back to prison (Sing sing) for sh***ing someone (him) that was an idiot (him again_)argueing with me (the person paying the bill) and that it would be to his advantage to ''HUMOR'' an old man.................... (he did it my way)
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS AND BRING THEM HOME SOON AND SAFE
GOD BLESS OUR VETS FOR THEIR SERVICE TO THIS GREAT NATION .
Seajay the sailor man
ps. If this information is useful to you ......... You must pay me ten cents the next time you see me ..... (good advise aint cheep).............On the other hand ,,,,, if it dont help you ....... I NEVER KNEW YOU...
p, ps. I spell like a words sounds to me. Sometimes I spelt thing rong.
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote