Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2022, 03:00 PM   #1

Fresh Water Tank Access/Repair

I've posted on this before, but never resolved the issue, so I'm going to give it another shot. Has anybody had any repair work done on their fresh water tanks on a Fleetwood Excursion 39S?

Last year while going from CA to FL we got trapped in the "polar vortex" that hit Texas with our water tanks full (there are two 50 gallon tanks). We were stuck just outside of Austin for 5 days in the ice and snow, and when we finally made it out and over to Louisiana, the water tanks emptied themselves all over the campground.

Obviously something froze and broke, but my suspicion is that one of the fittings on a water line going in or out of the tanks froze and broke, rather than the water tank itself. My reasoning is: we had a case of water bottles sitting in one of the slide out compartments, and only a few of the outer bottles froze. I don't see a tank with 50 gallons freezing solid in those conditions, but I could be wrong.

Here's the biggest issue...I can't figure out how to get to the water tanks. They sit above the propane and fuel tanks, sandwiched between some kind of "sub floor" and the coach "main floor". No access from above or below from what I can see. On each side, with the slide-outs deployed, I have checked the area where the tanks are located, but cannot see the tanks as there is some type of corrugated siding, running vertically, covering the area.

So, how are these tanks and fittings serviced? Has anybody every had any repairs done on these?

Thanks for your input.....

Randy
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2022, 11:01 PM   #2

I have a 2008 40x fleetwood discovery. Access to the water tank output (drain) in the frame. There is a plate that is able to be removed. It screws into the frame where the drain line is. Have to look very close to find the plate. This will give you access to the pipe fittings for the drain. My glue had let go and all O had to do was sand pipe and reglue. Water was coming out everywhere.
basketball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 12:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketball View Post
I have a 2008 40x fleetwood discovery. Access to the water tank output (drain) in the frame. There is a plate that is able to be removed. It screws into the frame where the drain line is. Have to look very close to find the plate. This will give you access to the pipe fittings for the drain. My glue had let go and all O had to do was sand pipe and reglue. Water was coming out everywhere.
Where is this "plate"? On the side somewhere? Or below the tank? I can access the drain valve through a compartment that is rear of the tanks, and if I stick my head in there I can see the drain pipe going forward towards the tank, but it disappears through a hole in the frame cross-member and I don't see any way to get to anything past that frame cross-member. I was looking for some way into the side of the tank, behind the slide out compartments, but I didn't see anything that looked like it was removable.

Thanks,

Randy
Old 11-17-2022, 07:47 AM   #4

On the side rail, pass side. Access to this plate is from under coach with the slide out. You will be able to access the drain output of the fresh water tank.
Your fresh water tank is installed between the 2 main beams.
Old 11-17-2022, 01:49 PM   #5

Quote:
On the side rail, pass side. Access to this plate is from under coach with the slide out. You will be able to access the drain output of the fresh water tank.
Thanks, that's exactly where I would expect it to be, but don't remember seeing anything there when I looked a couple of weeks ago. I'll have it up this weekend so I will get under there and take a closer look.

Thanks!!!
Old 11-21-2022, 11:45 AM   #6

Quote:
You were spot on!!! The panel was the only section that didn't look like vertical corrugated siding! I looked right at it last time I was under there and didn't realize what it was. (See first two attached images).

Got the panel off, but unfortunately the PVC drain pipe and fittings were all intact. I believe the only other line that is at the bottom of the tank is the supply line to the water pump. When I filled the tank there was no visible leak from the tanks or fittings, and no water in the bottom of the tank area (See last attached image).

The leak appears to be somewhere aft of the tanks, and the only thing I can think of is the supply line to the water pump. I'll crawl under the other side to see if there is an access panel for that area. I didn't notice any water coming into the water pump area, so really not sure.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!!!

Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221120_123134.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	381325   Click image for larger version

Name:	20221120_123147.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	381326  

Name:	20221120_130950.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	381327  
Old 11-22-2022, 08:54 AM   #7

You should have 4 connections to the fresh water tank.
1. Hose bib connection in water bay to fill tank. Valve to turn to go on city water.
Connects to tank to use water pump to draw water from tank.
2. Drain line to drain tank.
3. Overflow drain, in case you try and overfill tank.
4. Hose fill into tank from side of coach.

Keep us posted on outcome.
Old 11-23-2022, 10:21 AM   #8

Quote:
You should have 4 connections to the fresh water tank.
1. Hose bib connection in water bay to fill tank. Valve to turn to go on city water.
Connects to tank to use water pump to draw water from tank.
2. Drain line to drain tank.
3. Overflow drain, in case you try and overfill tank.
4. Hose fill into tank from side of coach.

Keep us posted on outcome.
So for "connection #1" above, does that mean the water supply line off the bottom of the tank that supplies water to the water pump also doubles as a "fill" line when I turn the valve from city water? It's a "2 way" line, effectively? That was the one piece of the puzzle I couldn't figure out, and is not included in the "plumbing" schematic I have for this rig.

Today I am planning to disconnect that line and "cap it off" at the tank, then use "connection #4" to fill the tank and see if it holds water. If it does, then the leak is in the "connection #1" line somewhere between where it leaves the tank area and the "Service Compartment". I don't see any way to access that area so I'm thinking that if the problem lies in there I may try to run a new line directly to the "Service Compartment" and then try to tie it into the existing connections.....

I'll post my findings....

Thanks again!
Old 11-23-2022, 02:55 PM   #9

Epic fail!! I capped the water pump supply line at the tank and then filled the tank through "connection #4" and water started dumping out from somewhere under one of the tanks, or perhaps whatever connects the two tanks, so this eliminates the supply line as the source of the leak, but probably means one of the tanks is cracked. I'm not sure there's any way to replace these tanks since there doesn't seem to be any way to access the tank area that would be large enough to replace the tanks. This could be a disaster.....
Old 11-26-2022, 10:15 AM   #10

Re install the water pump supply line. It would appear to be fine.
1. Connect hose to city water and make sure valve is on city water.
2. Run water inside coach watch for leaks under coach. This should not fill water tank.
3. Turn valve to fill water tank. Let fill for 3 min.5 gallon???( do not fill to top ) Check for leak. Turn water pump on.
4.The connection for the 2 fresh water tanks should be at the bottom of the tanks.
5.If it leaks now you have a cracked tank or fitting between the tanks.
6. No leak, fill tank from side outlet. This connection goes to the top of the tank. Flex hose.
7. Have no idea how to service the fresh water tanks or the connection between them.
8. Maybe another removable access from the coach??.
My leak was because of the lack of glue on the drain fitting.Did not know there was 2 fresh water tanks in my 40x. Will have to check plumbing diagram on my return home.
Ckeck with fleetwood for plumbing diagram for your coach.
Keep us posted
Thanks
Old 11-28-2022, 12:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Re install the water pump supply line. It would appear to be fine.
1. Connect hose to city water and make sure valve is on city water.
2. Run water inside coach watch for leaks under coach. This should not fill water tank.
Shore water is fine, I've not had any leaks when attached to shore water, so that part is OK.

Quote:
3. Turn valve to fill water tank. Let fill for 3 min.5 gallon???( do not fill to top ) Check for leak. Turn water pump on.
4.The connection for the 2 fresh water tanks should be at the bottom of the tanks.
5.If it leaks now you have a cracked tank or fitting between the tanks.
When I have done this in the past, it seems to take a while before I see water leaking, but I can't use the water pump as it failed back when we hit the cold weather.

Quote:
6. No leak, fill tank from side outlet. This connection goes to the top of the tank. Flex hose.
7. Have no idea how to service the fresh water tanks or the connection between them.
8. Maybe another removable access from the coach??.
My leak was because of the lack of glue on the drain fitting.Did not know there was 2 fresh water tanks in my 40x. Will have to check plumbing diagram on my return home.
Ckeck with fleetwood for plumbing diagram for your coach.
Keep us posted
Thanks
I do have the complete plumbing diagram for my coach and after looking at it again I can see that there is, what appears to be, a 1" PVC connection between the two tanks on the drivers side of the coach. I took a look at the drivers side, behind the slide out, and now that I know what the "access panel" looks like, I can see what looks like another panel on that side, but much wider.....probably half the length of the slide out area. I did not have time to get my hands on it to verify it is, in fact, an "access panel", but I'm very confident it is. I'm guessing it's a little bigger than one of the 50 gallon tanks, which may be how the tanks can be removed and/or replaced if necessary. However, there is a square bar running the length of the slide out that is the "drive axle" of the slide out itself, right in the middle of the panel, so it would seem the slide out would need to be removed to get the tanks out. But my real hope is that the 1" PVC connector will be accessible, and cracked/loose. That should be relatively easy to repair.

Not sure when I can get up to the rig and take a look, but I'll update when I do.

Thanks again for your insight!!!

Randy
Old 12-03-2022, 12:04 PM   #12

UPDATE

Finally got up to the rig yesterday and the long panel on the drivers side, behind the slide-out, IS an "access panel". After removing the 4 self-tapping screws, and cutting out tons of caulking/sealant with my razor knife, the panel finally came out. Indeed, the panel is the size of one of the 50 gallon tanks, and the connector between the two is easily accessible.

The bad news: I did not see a break or a crack in the connector between the two tanks. It's not PVC, but rather some type of flexible line (see the first pic). This would be the easiest issue to resolve, but I don't think there's a problem here.

The good news: The tanks are not secured in any way and can easily be slid out of the compartment as there is plenty of room between the frame and the back side of the slide-out and the drive axle for the slide out can be removed with two bolts, so that shouldn't be a huge issue should it turn out to be a crack in one of the tanks (see the second pic).

I do not have easy access to water at my RV storage facility so I will have to wait until next weekend, when we are at an RV park, to fill the tank and determine, finally, from where the water is leaking.

Hopefully I'm now close to getting this issue resolved (fingers crossed).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20221202_161218.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	382029   Click image for larger version

Name:	20221202_161242.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	382030  

Old 12-04-2022, 08:03 AM   #13

The hose connection between the tanks looks like the same hose that they used for the fill hose from the side fill on my coach. It is not very thick, could be split.
Old 12-05-2022, 10:22 AM   #14

Quote:
The hose connection between the tanks looks like the same hose that they used for the fill hose from the side fill on my coach. It is not very thick, could be split.
Yes, it looks identical to the fill hose on mine as well. My hope is that the problem is with that connection, but I couldn't feel anything wrong with it with my hand. I'll hopefully know more this weekend when I can run water into the tank.

Thanks!

Tags
access, air, fresh water, repair, tank, water