Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2015, 03:10 PM   #1

Fridge working while driving?

This forum helped me before find a simple switch to turn on the inverter so maybe it will deliver again.

I can run my fridge on gas pretty much anytime. I can fire up the gennie and have it run electric, I can be on shore power and and it will run on electric...............why can i not be driving down the road with the gas off and have it work? It keeps trying to switch over to gas, there is no gas, i have the valve closed. Engine charges the battery so there should be plenty of power as long as the engine is running?

I am not to fond of driving down the road with the gas valve open just in case something goes wrong.

Since most of yall have left Florida i was able to take it out this weekend and hit a state park and the fridge mystery is my biggest issue. I start driving and have a fridge at 38 or so, two hours later if i do not turn on the gas it is up to 58 (it is a little warm this time of year and i love it, windows open music up loud, Sound system is great! No i do not run the ac while driving) i am thinking food at that temp is getting risky. Once it gets up to that temps it also takes much longer once I have turned on the gas or on shore power to get back to a decent/safe fridge temp.

I got to be missing something. No way they would make this thing so i have to have the gas on or gennie running to keep my fridge temps safe while driving? or would they?

Help me please.

2013 bounder 33c, tried inverter off and on while driving (now that I know how to turn it on,,,,,ty forum)
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2015, 03:17 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have no qualms about driving with the gas on and the fridge working, that's the intended use of the setup.
Not sure why you think it is unsafe to drive with the gas on?
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 03:20 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Most likely, your frig is not on the inverter circuit. Normally the inverter only provides power to your TVs and entertainment system.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 03:26 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
The electric is 120 volts. You will have to run the generator if you want the refrigerator to cool on electric. Gas is safe to use while traveling. The system is designed for it.About 90% of the campers use lp gas while underway.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:27 PM   #5

gas while driving..........

I am not comfortable with it just in case something like an accident happens. I think a broken gas line will just add to possible problems. I have no doubt is safe assuming nothing out of the ordinary happens.

It is funny. I am all good with a lithium battery in my rig because i know from past trying to blow them up they are safe when used/charged proper but that damn gas gives me the creeps. We will not leave on ever if we can help it.

Time to use the stove or water heater? gas on...........done? gas off.

I refused my whole life to rent an apt in a complex that has gas. I never trusted others to not blow the building up.

Just one of my pet peeves.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:32 PM   #6

mike48

That was my thoughts. I wanted to check to be sure that is how it is supposed to work and nothing is broke. So now i need to look up the watt draw on the fridge and see if my inverter has enough guts to do the job then see how hard it is to get wired right if it will.

I brewed coffee and ran a crock pot on the inverter as a test this weekend and that was good to go so i was pretty happy about that.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrv View Post
That was my thoughts. I wanted to check to be sure that is how it is supposed to work and nothing is broke. So now i need to look up the watt draw on the fridge and see if my inverter has enough guts to do the job then see how hard it is to get wired right if it will.

I brewed coffee and ran a crock pot on the inverter as a test this weekend and that was good to go so i was pretty happy about that.
My refrig did not have the 120vac outlet wired to the inverter. That was by design. When traveling, the refrig ran on propane or the genset.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:54 PM   #8

bruceisla

Did you look into getting it changed?

I want to say corrected or fixed but it I am leaning towards not broke, just how they decided to do it for some reason, I think I know the reason. Fridge prolly pulls too many watts for the 1200 wat modified sine inverter and a pure sine 2000 or 3000 cost to much or would require larger batteries and those things cost money so they toss in a larger lp gas tank and convince us that is the way to go because it cost pennies to make that larger rather than make the other changes.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrv View Post
I am not comfortable with it just in case something like an accident happens. I think a broken gas line will just add to possible problems. I have no doubt is safe assuming nothing out of the ordinary happens.

It is funny. I am all good with a lithium battery in my rig because i know from past trying to blow them up they are safe when used/charged proper but that damn gas gives me the creeps. We will not leave on ever if we can help it.

Time to use the stove or water heater? gas on...........done? gas off.

I refused my whole life to rent an apt in a complex that has gas. I never trusted others to not blow the building up.

Just one of my pet peeves.
jbrv
Aren't you afraid to drive a car with gallons of gasoline on board?

BTW most, (if not all), Schwan Food Company trucks driven daily nationwide, (and in in your neighborhood), are propane powered: Schwan's Home Service Runs 3,300 Propane-Powered Units Nationwide - Article - TruckingInfo.com

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 04:25 PM   #10

Gas

Not really Like i said I am sure it is safe if nothing out of the ordinary happens. If something does not having the gas on is one less thing that can go boom or feed a fire.

My like or dislike of lpg power is not really the issue. The issue is why the hell am i forced to use it if I have fully charged batteries getting charged by the alternator while driving?

I am assuming it is the way they built it to be. Came here to be sure not convinced driving with LPG running is safe or not.

I am almost sure it is due to putting in an inverter that is not up to the task of powering that fridge and not wanting to enlarge the battery box to be able to install enough amp hours to provide that power or move past using lead acid or agm batteries into lithium ion.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:29 PM   #11

Get comfortable , it is designed to operate underway.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
Get comfortable , it is designed to operate underway.
As I suspected.

Or built a better system. Takes funds. Not uncomfortable enough to spend a ton but dislike it enough to look into making it run on battery power assuming the batteries have enough incoming juice to keep up.

It is a large LPG tank and I am sure it will last me 5-7 days with full time fridge use and cooking off shore power and no gennie running. j ust hoping to extend the time between fill ups and use the power I am already making for something else.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:08 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Make a list and check it twice.

Did not the sails person that sold you your R.V. explain anything to you about your rig?
If not you could make a list of the things that you do not understand or how they work then go see a dealer.
The one that you bought it from or the person that sold it to you.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 05:16 PM   #14

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter5555 View Post
Did not the sails person that sold you your R.V. explain anything to you about your rig?
If not you could make a list of the things that you do not understand or how they work then go see a dealer.
The one that you bought it from or the person that sold it to you.
Just a thought.
So i did not buy it new so i do not have a lying cheating dealer to go get pumped full of sunshine by.
The prev owners were the typical park in a campground type and i suspect do not know what an inverter is or that the house has batteries and i am sure they did not know they needed water now and again as they were bricks when i purchased it, not a drop of water in them. Part of the reason I got a pretty damn good deal and jumped on it when it came up. Did i know everything when i bought it? Hell no! and 5 years from now in it i wont. got to take a leap sooner or later.

Instead of going and seeing a sales monkey at a dealer or a service guy who gets spiffed on selling me service i may or may not need i decided to ask online if it is broke or just the way it was built to work.

Yes i have fleetwoods customer service number and i will use it to be sure. They happen to be closed on sundays.

Thanks for reading and the reply.

Tags
fridge