Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2009, 06:39 PM   #1

frig problem with Southwind 36D

anyone with a southwind 36D? attached are a couple of pics of a current frig problem I am dealing with at this time with Fleetwood. they will fix the problem but was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same? there is a burn mark forming (size of silver dollar) in the upper part of the frig compartment, you have to access the upper vent section to see if what's happening to me is also happening to anyone else. the hot air gas vent/exhaust is "shooting" hot gas against the inside of the frig compartment, which also is causing our pantry to heat up...of course the current problem is the possiblity of a fire if not corrected.

if anyone has a 36D, and no apparent problem, would you please send a photo of what the install looks like? may shed some light on why yours is not a problem and what will need to be done to fix my problem. thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	091004030834.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	1517   Click image for larger version

Name:	091004030852.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	1518  

lp5151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2009, 11:04 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is an article in the Oct. FMCA mag. on page 18 that deals with a recall on 04 & 05 35e bounders, with the problem you are having.

If you don't get the mag. ,I can scan it and email it to you.

Hope this helps

Cliff

PS- The new Fleetwood is not honoring recalls on models over one year old.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall View Post
There is an article in the Oct. FMCA mag. on page 18 that deals with a recall on 04 & 05 35e bounders, with the problem you are having.

If you don't get the mag. ,I can scan it and email it to you.

Hope this helps

Cliff

PS- The new Fleetwood is not honoring recalls on models over one year old.

Cliff, I have that mag, thank you. can you send me a pic of the upper part of your frig compartment? I would like to see how the install is on a similar unit. I think the problem is with my specific M/H. I can't believe Fleetwood repeated a problem to possibaly cause another recall for the same issue in another model. Fleetwood has turned over the problem to their engineers to come up with a "fix". I take the M/H to the shop this coming Wednesday for that fix. I'm not sure what it will be at this time. as my pics show, there is no extra room for proper venting for the hot exhaust. I hope it will be more than a heat shield. It appears that the current frig is to tall for the compartment that it was installed in.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i have a 4 door norcold . it is in the l/ r slide. i can't see behind it . sorry.

cliff

Old 10-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lp5151 View Post
Cliff, I have that mag, thank you. can you send me a pic of the upper part of your frig compartment? I would like to see how the install is on a similar unit. I think the problem is with my specific M/H. I can't believe Fleetwood repeated a problem to possibaly cause another recall for the same issue in another model. Fleetwood has turned over the problem to their engineers to come up with a "fix". I take the M/H to the shop this coming Wednesday for that fix. I'm not sure what it will be at this time. as my pics show, there is no extra room for proper venting for the hot exhaust. I hope it will be more than a heat shield. It appears that the current frig is to tall for the compartment that it was installed in.

go to page #9 of the feetwood forum. there is thread discussing the same issue. hope this helps.

cliff

Old 10-11-2009, 03:11 PM   #6

Quote:
i have a 4 door norcold . it is in the l/ r slide. i can't see behind it . sorry.

cliff
OK..a friend of mine got back into town today, he has a 35H...I was able to get a look at his....
Old 10-11-2009, 06:00 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
and what did you see?

Old 10-11-2009, 10:37 PM   #8

Quote:
and what did you see?

i saw the way his frig was installed (no exposed wood). when mine was installed; Fleetwood did not install the insulation, heat shielding material, etc. that should surround the frig and deflect the heat that comes from the exhaust tube. (they left the bare wood exposed to heat from the exhaust tube thus creating a possible fire danger)

I am a bit surprised that you could not see how yours was installed, there should have been a vented cover that you can remove for inspection and/or service. if the frig is in a slide, there is generally a lower and upper vent behind the frig.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:44 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry , I didn't know exactly how to check out that area. Today, I pulled off the top vent and saw that mine is completely insulated.

Good luck with yours and I guess the good news is that you caught it in time.

Cliff

Old 10-13-2009, 05:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Sorry , I didn't know exactly how to check out that area. Today, I pulled off the top vent and saw that mine is completely insulated.

Good luck with yours and I guess the good news is that you caught it in time.

Cliff
M/H is in the shop today for a fix to the frig problem. Fleetwood has voiced to me that the problem will be taken care of....not sure that they will authorize the frig to be pulled out so the comparment gets a thorough inspection. not sure how much of the frig compartment is supposed to be insulated, I assume all of it. hopefully they won't just go for a patch to the burnt spot. I've inspected one other 2007 Bounder that has the same frig as my Southwind; and it also had the entire compartment insulated and protected with metal sheeting and insulated heat shielding material.