Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2014, 09:38 PM   #1

Front Axle Slid

I have a 2002 Fleetwood Revolution and did some high hill climbing around Branson Mo. the past few days. Was under some hard braking and almost felt like the front axel slid backward about 5 inches under a real hard braking in the hills because some dip 4 wheeler though I could stop on a dime. Had to take the center turn lane to save from having a accident and police saw what happened and gave the 4 wheeler a big nasty ticket. But why would the axel slide backward in a hard braking and not leave some kind on rub mark on leaf springs?
GregOk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2014, 11:35 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregOk80 View Post
I have a 2002 Fleetwood Revolution and did some high hill climbing around Branson Mo. the past few days. Was under some hard braking and almost felt like the front axel slid backward about 5 inches under a real hard braking in the hills because some dip 4 wheeler though I could stop on a dime. Had to take the center turn lane to save from having a accident and police saw what happened and gave the 4 wheeler a big nasty ticket. But why would the axel slide backward in a hard braking and not leave some kind on rub mark on leaf springs?
GregOk80
Personally I think you are imagining things.
"Almost felt like" is not the same as "did".
Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:53 AM   #3

Quote:
With no visual evidence of the axle sliding backwards on your springs, perhaps it didn't and what you felt was front wheel brake lock-up and tire sliding on the pavement...

If in doubt I would take the coach in to a front end alignment shop and have them check out your suspension.

Best of luck and safe travels....

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:04 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I would think that if the front axle slid you would be having some major problems at this point. Most likely you just had the sensation of something moving. Take the advice of getting a shop to look at it.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:45 PM   #5

You say you don't see wear marks on your leaf springs, you don't have leaf springs, you have air springs. If you have a solid front axle it is held in place with large radius arms one on each side. One end bolted to the axle giving no ability to slide. The other end has a large rubber bushing attached to a solidly mounted mount. My discovery gave me similar "feelings" while doing a panic stop. Mine also had a loud bang noise. I found the S cams on the front brakes in bad need of cleaning and lubeing. After servicing the S cams no more difficultys during panic stops.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:19 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
My discovery gave me similar "feelings" while doing a panic stop. Mine also had a loud bang noise. I found the S cams on the front brakes in bad need of cleaning and lubeing. After servicing the S cams no more difficultys during panic stops.
Same thing here with a 2003 Revolution. Lubed the S Cam rollers & it seems to have gone away. You just lube the roller ends not the s cam itself. The Meritor service manual covers that.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Wow, I don't have leaf springs but most or all that do have a set pin made in to keep that from happening. On spartan solid axle front ends the ubolts need to be checked per maintance I believe a 500lbs torque.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:11 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If it is even possible for the axle to slide 5 inches, you would definitely be able to see the difference in where the wheel sat in the wheel well. Like others said, I think it was just a sensation.