Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2021, 08:33 PM   #1

Frozen '91 Southwind E brake, Oshkosh Chassis

Have a 91 Southwind with a frozen drive shaft brake. How do I get it to release. May have been started by low brake fluid, not low hydraulic fluid. Is there a way to bleed this after adding more fluid. I should note it was low but certainly not dry or out. Light is on and it will not release. I have heard suggestions of mechanically forcing it to release by applying force to the cable. Not sure this make sense as its hydraulic. Sure would like to be able to move it and get it home 20 miles.
cologman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2021, 06:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cologman View Post
Have a 91 Southwind with a frozen drive shaft brake. How do I get it to release. May have been started by low brake fluid, not low hydraulic fluid. Is there a way to bleed this after adding more fluid. I should note it was low but certainly not dry or out. Light is on and it will not release. I have heard suggestions of mechanically forcing it to release by applying force to the cable. Not sure this make sense as its hydraulic. Sure would like to be able to move it and get it home 20 miles.

I think frozen and low fluid are 2 different things. If it’s frozen although a little dangerous climb under and tap with a hammer. Either way if it low on fluid you need to add I would think it would be out of fluid to cause a problem not just low.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I think frozen and low fluid are 2 different things. If it’s frozen although a little dangerous climb under and tap with a hammer. Either way if it low on fluid you need to add I would think it would be out of fluid to cause a problem not just low.

I may be using the incorrect terminology, "frozen". It wasn't out, low yes. Have seen reference to applying force to the actuator with vice grips to get it to move. Once moved using the vice grips to hold in place until properly repaired. Still iffy, but perhaps allowing it to be moved if unable to get it to release.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:17 PM   #4

91 Oshkosh chassis should be a EFI 460 Ford with C6 transmission and manual ZF emergency brake. There should be no fluids involved with the operation of the E brake. The ZF E brake does require 4 ozs. of ATF for lubrication.
91 coach on an 1990 Oshkosh will be carbed Ford 460 with same above mentioned components.

Richard
Old 02-25-2021, 07:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by House Husband View Post
91 Oshkosh chassis should be a EFI 460 Ford with C6 transmission and manual ZF emergency brake. There should be no fluids involved with the operation of the E brake. The ZF E brake does require 4 ozs. of ATF for lubrication.
91 coach on an 1990 Oshkosh will be carbed Ford 460 with same above mentioned components.

Richard
you are correct about the engine and tranny but it has the Park Position Applied Emergency Brake. I have disabled it by disconnecting the linkage. Now waiting for better weather to trouble shoot the system. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:20 PM   #6

Thanks for the feed back. I didn't know Oshkosh used that type of E brake.

Richard
Old 08-25-2021, 07:27 PM   #7

Mines did the same thing and I turned to be the a/c compressor seized as it has a belt runs with what is required to release park brake
BRAND0N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, chassis, southwind, wind