RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2020, 02:55 AM   #1

Frustrating day!

Plugged coach into 50A shore power today. All seemed normal, fridge cooling, microwave working. Start the AC and finish setting up. Roughly 20 min. later entire coach shuts down, flashing on Firefly is a low house battery voltage. Inverter was set to pass through and charger said float. AC panel on the firefly showed that I have good voltage on both lines from the pole as does my surge protector. The strange thing is that even when the coach would shut down, the fridge and microwave would continue working, but lights, outlets, TV wonít. So in my head Iím thinking Iím getting shore power but my house batteries are not charging or holding a charge (previous issued discussed in another post) and this is causing everything to shut down? I can run the coach if I start the engine, and then the generator, but within 5min of shutting engine down, generator quits. So what am I missing here? Why isnít 50A shore power enough to run the coach? Can dead/weak house batteries be the source of this problem?

Thank you in advance,
Steve
Scuba00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2020, 06:56 AM   #2

There is no charge getting to the house batteries and they are dead.

Starting the engine charges them a bit but once you shut it off, they quickly die.

Start the engine and lit it run until the battery volts climb up past 10 volts and see if the inverter/charger takes over the charging. If not, take a look at the breakers on the Inverter/charger case.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba00 View Post
Plugged coach into 50A shore power today. All seemed normal, fridge cooling, microwave working. Start the AC and finish setting up. Roughly 20 min. later entire coach shuts down, flashing on Firefly is a low house battery voltage. Inverter was set to pass through and charger said float. AC panel on the firefly showed that I have good voltage on both lines from the pole as does my surge protector. The strange thing is that even when the coach would shut down, the fridge and microwave would continue working, but lights, outlets, TV wonít. So in my head Iím thinking Iím getting shore power but my house batteries are not charging or holding a charge (previous issued discussed in another post) and this is causing everything to shut down? I can run the coach if I start the engine, and then the generator, but within 5min of shutting engine down, generator quits. So what am I missing here? Why isnít 50A shore power enough to run the coach? Can dead/weak house batteries be the source of this problem?

Thank you in advance,

Steve

When my house batteries where killed due repair shop leaving things on the inverter charger would not begin to start charging. I put my 40 amp battery charger on them for a few hours. Then retried inverter/ charger and it started working.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:28 AM   #4

Or you have one or more failed batteries. I see you have a 2019 unit but if you bought it from a dealers inventory it is possible (actually almost a certainty) that the batteries were neglected. On my 2019 (SOB) both house batteries failed on our first trip and the chassis battery failed a few months later. Testing the voltage at the battery terminals will tell you a lot.
PetesMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:06 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just an FYI, if you didn't know, that when you are plugged into shore power the inverter goes into pass thru mode. There is a relay that closes and passes the shore power to the coach. That is why the fridge and sockets are working when plugged in. The Inverter/Charger needs 12v at the big red terminal coming into the inverter for it to run the circuitry that fires up the charger.

Did I hear you say it was just in a shop? I've seen several cases where RV returned from the shop had the Big Red Switch by the Inverter/Charger turned off and this will kill that 12v it needs to start the charging circuit. You might want to check that. Also make sure you don't have a blown 300amp fuse in that circuit. All of these things will effect the charger just as you have described.
ecsproull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 01:16 AM   #6

New batteries

Hey everyone thanks for the replies and suggestions. I replaced my house batteries (originals bad, due to my own negligence) and then went looking for other possible issues. I found the Surge guard (41260) installed in one of the bays, has two red lights that are both lit. Next to it says service required. By service required does that mean replace or that it can be reset by a technician?

Thanks again,
Steve
Old 09-26-2020, 06:21 PM   #7

Update

First thank you for the suggestions and replies. I had a RV mech come out and take a look. I’m plugged into 30A right and now and as is typical with most broken things, as soon as the mech arrived everything was functioning normal. We went through the whole system, checked all fuses and connections - everything checked out. The one thing he noticed that when he arrived the inverter (MS 2012) was not actually running, light in back flashing but the fan inside was not. Said he wiggled the big red knob and then it started. I’m not really sure the inverter is supposed to “run” all the time. Everything working as it should, we even unplugged and ran on generator for awhile and still all good. He left and everything remained normal the entire day, until sunset. Sun went down and everything shut down. Sun came up this morning and all is well. Items that still work when the coach shuts down are the fridge and microwave, 110 outlets. The firefly and all the systems it controls are offline. When the sun comes back up the coach fires up and back to normal. So my brain says solar panel has something to do with this mystery. Looking for a wiring diagram for a 2019 Discovery 38N, and any thoughts, I appreciate it, sorry for the long post - I’ll also post over in the Elec forum.
Thanks
Steve

Tags
inverter/charger, solar