Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2019, 05:39 PM   #1

Fuel pump unit

Calling on all 2000 Pace Arrow owners or anyone who has experience dealing with fuel sending units I recently purchased a 2000 Pace Arrow that was sitting in storage for 10 years I had it towed to my house I started to diagnose everything I have a mechanical aptitude and background primarily with 350 small block engines initially I checked the fuel in the tank which was about three-quarters full it was nasty so I siphoned it all out about 40 gallons put it in plastic barrels after cleaning the fuel tank I flushed it out several times and siphoned the soapy water detergent out of the side hole and also at the generator fuel line. Now I ran a Diagnostics it turned out that my relays were okay but I wasn't sure which fuel pump relay so I need help identifying that although all relays had at least 12 volts in them but I also did a test on hearing them click and also try to do a fuel pump relay Direct Connect I could not hear my fuel pump running now my RV only has 20000 miles on it after putting in about 25 gallons of fresh fuel with seafoam I was able to get the gas bimanual siphoning to the fuel filter and it was clear and smelled like gas so I put a brand new fuel filter in place in hoping that I could get the fuel pump all the way to the engine. I am able to start the engine when I put gas in the air breather it will run for 10 minutes and that's it I checked all fuses still need to identify the fuel pump relay switch I also checked my interia switch which was not engaged like if it had an accident or rollover I am trying to avoid having to drop the gas tank I am 62 years old I can do this if I have to I have watched enough videos I have also replace fuel sending units in Chevy Novas gas tank is there anything else that I can do to troubleshoot my vehicle to get the gas to the engine I'm going to the auto parts store to get a loner pressure gauge tool but I am sure that there is not much pressure pushing the gas to the front. I have also used a rubber mallet to beat on the tank like I said I added 25 gallons of fresh fuel with at least two cans of seafoam is there any other suggestions before I decide to go ahead and drop the tank again it only has 20000 miles and the engine does start when I put gas in the air breather
Dash48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2019, 06:38 PM   #2

Before dropping the tank, consider an external fuel pump. Pretty common fix for your kind of issues.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:43 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Welcome to the forum. First what chassis do you have Ford or Chevy? I assume you have a gas unit, and not a diesel? When asking for some help, it really helps other to help you by knowing what model you are driving. My first though, after sitting for 10 years, the pump and sending unit are more than likely toast. That 10% Ethanol causes a lot of rust over time, plus all the water that built up on the walls over time. I know, I let my jeep sit for about 4 years before I had a chance to rebuild the transmission. I knew the gas would be no good, so I pulled the gas tank and removed the pump and sending unit. It was toast!!! Rust had eaten away at everything. I was lucky the fuel tank was plastic, so no rust problems there. Installed new pump and sending unit, and it ran perfect. I did have to replace a lot of the rubber fuel and air lines. Lots of cracking in the old ones. So, if you do have to drop the fuel tank, I would recommend changing all rubber lines at the point in time. If I were a betting man, I'm thinking the fuel unit is toast. I would also change the fuel filter, I'm sure it is full of old cum fuel.

You have the right idea, check to see if there is pressure. You could "T" in at the fuel filter area and see if you have pressure. I'm not sure what the pressure should be, but a good Google Search might give you the information you need.

Once you list the model, I'm sure others will chime in. Good luck on your project.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Is this a Ford F53 chassis???? If so:

If you jump the fuel pump relay you should be able to hear the pump running. The fuel pump relay is in the fuse panel thats directly above the radiator. You can see these in the photos on my web site that I linked to.

Disconnect the front fuel line from the fuel filter, put a long hose on the fuel filter with the other end in a gas can. Jump the relay contacts and see if the pump runs.

F53 – Replace Fuel Pump – 1999 Southwind 35S

While your under there, look very carefully for critters that have chewed through wire bundles.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:46 PM   #5

Thanks waiter 21

Yes it's a Ford f53 2000 Pace Arrow my fuse box looks different than yours in the photo so I am trying to identify which fuel pump relay switch it is so I can do what you suggested in running the pump through the fuel filter I just need to identify which one it is I do not have a owner's manual
Old 10-11-2019, 10:49 PM   #6

Thanks Hawkeye it is a 2000 Pace Arrow f53 I'm not sure how I can hook up a pressure tester to the fuel filter location I was told that it's better to go off the rail near the engine there is a small valve stem that I could tie into will keep you guys updated thanks sure don't want to drop the tank I could do it but it's a lot of work
Old 10-11-2019, 10:58 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash48 View Post
Thanks Hawkeye it is a 2000 Pace Arrow f53 I'm not sure how I can hook up a pressure tester to the fuel filter location I was told that it's better to go off the rail near the engine there is a small valve stem that I could tie into will keep you guys updated thanks sure don't want to drop the tank I could do it but it's a lot of work
I know on the Chevy 8.1 the fuel pressure at the rail is about 60 psi. I bet Ford is not too far off from that number. Please keep us posted on your find. Good luck.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:27 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Yes it's a Ford f53 2000 Pace Arrow my fuse box looks different than yours in the photo
This is the one for my 2001 Mirada.. Look on page 45. My 1999 and 2001 look identical.. Relay #2 is the fuel pump relay (top right side)

Fuse #21, 20 amp (middle right side) is the fuel pump fuse.

http://2001mirada.com/DOWNLOAD/2002_F53_Owners.pdf

This is the fuse box under the front hood, directly over the radiator..

Take the cover off of yours and post a photo of it.

NOTE - Verify what year your F53 chassis is, it could be a 1999 or 2000.

You can enter your VIN number into the search on this site and it will give you info on your chassis:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/vindecoder.php

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 12:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
This is the one for my 2001 Mirada.. Look on page 45. My 1999 and 2001 look identical.. Relay #2 is the fuel pump relay (top right side)

You can enter your VIN number into the search on this site and it will give you info on your chassis:

Found it another friend who owns RV sent me a owner's manual yours is the same as mine is the #2 fuel relay switch did you connect the top pong and the left prong to do a bypass for the fuel pump yes right below the fuel pump switch is a 20 amp yellow one of the bigger fuses it was blown so I'm going to the part store today. where did you get your fuel pump switch Auto Parts also let's hope this works thanks for all your help
Old 10-12-2019, 03:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post

Okay here's an update: I just returned from the auto parts store about 2 hours ago I put the new fuel relay switch in the number 2 socket and I also replace the 20 amp fuse that was blown in the fuel pump fuse. I added a little gas to the engine from the Breather started it up and it ran for over 30 minutes so I decided to put the Breather connection hose back on the carburetor breather hose and the RV stalled. I added a little more gas and then started it up again and went to mow my one acre of land which takes over an hour to cut the grass when I went back to the RV it was still running but spitting and sputtering I know there is probably old gas water a little liquid. And whatever else crap is still in the tank it has 25 gallons of fresh fuel with one can of seafoam what I am thinking of doing is let it run until it runs out of gas and hopefully drains everything and then put brand new 25 gallons of high octane gas with one bottle of STP fuel injection cleaner anybody I think this is a good idea? I noticed the needle reads full so that's telling me the Armature in the tank is stuck when the RV was parked for 10 years obviously it rusted in a full position I am hoping over time with gas lubricating the Armature it will start to descend. If not I might manually remove the gas filler hose and try to reach it with a small stick or Rod to force it down anyways it's still running I decided not to put the air breather hose back on until I put clean gas in it it will idles too low to where it will die
Old 10-12-2019, 07:55 PM   #11

Second update the motor coach ran for about 5 hours today it's not sure if it burned up the total 25 gallons any suggestions would help I'm thinking it is probably a lot lower than it was but it was idling for the last 5 hours and then just quit so I am still thinking of putting fresh gas in there high octane with STP fuel treatment it seems like my fuel pump was working because gas was getting to the engine over a 5-hour. Any thoughts or suggestions at this point
Old 10-13-2019, 08:16 AM   #12

Isn't is SOP to pump out the stuff at the bottom of the tank?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Isn't is SOP to pump out the stuff at the bottom of the tank?
Hey Jim thanks for your response I flush the tank out for X drained it completely soaked it down but never took it down off the RV just pressure wash the filler tube and flushed it four times and then put brand new 25 gallons of clean fuel like I said it ran for 5 hours the other day in the fuel low icon came on but I don't know how many gallons are left are even if it's any good the gas I'm hoping to rectify everything before I drop the tank

Tags
fuel, fuel pump