RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2018, 11:08 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So when you move up to a DP... The fuel filler is directly behind the driver ON BOTH SIDES....but.....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2018, 07:41 AM   #16
CLR

Try it, it's probably easier than what it looks like.
BOA #6616 Sunshine Roos
CLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:42 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've rarely had a problem fitting in to any station adjacent to an interstate with our 36' Bounder. I will always choose the island on the far right if possible, so long as the exit from the island is a left turn - that way when the rear end swings out during the turn it doesn't hit the pumps, or the stanchion. As for positioning at the pump - I use the rear view camera to see when the corner of the RV is next to the pump - no problem!

The biggest issue I have is if the pump area is not level - if the front of the RV is higher than the rear then the nozzle will keep shutting off because of the long, horizontal run from the rear corner of the RV to the tank. It has to be completely level, or slightly nose-down to fill properly.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:36 PM   #18

Yep, I block the forward pump too. 40+ gallons is 3-4 fillups in a small car.
I use Gas Buddy to either find a station as we leave the park or close to the park as we are arriving.
I try to use Top Tier gas so I only use P/FJ if nothing else is convenient.

Wife gets out and spots me on how far to pull up.
What gets me is after taxiing airliners around for years, I still end up 4-5 feet out from the gas pump.
For the life of me, I can't get any closer.
F4Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
With our 33C and a toad, we usually have two pumps covered using the rear pump to fill. After a couple of attempts, we only go in where the pumps are on the left.

Our biggest concern is getting out.In Canada, most of the fuel stations are parallel to the road and in the state, perpendicular. So we do not like pump islands with the building and parking spaces in front. Sometimes, when forced, we wait for the parking spaces to clear.

Never worried blocking two pumps, we buy more fuel that two cars. It is bitch when we pull in behind a car if the forward pump and the driver disappears. No option but to wait. I figure if enough space is blocked the station owner will find the missing driver. No backing up with the toad on.
This sounds like us with our 2012 35K. We only stop at stations where the pumps are parallel to the road.
mst0neham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:55 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1340 View Post
There is a Flying J close by that has a dedicated RV gas lane. Iíve never used it but it looks tricky to get out off as you have to make a real tight left turn into the area cars park in front of the store.
I just block pumps.
You must be talking about the Merced Ave Flying J. RV lane looms tight but it is fine. Have fueled there many times with rig + toad.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:57 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post

The biggest issue I have is if the pump area is not level - if the front of the RV is higher than the rear then the nozzle will keep shutting off because of the long, horizontal run from the rear corner of the RV to the tank. It has to be completely level, or slightly nose-down to fill properly.
That is what the leveling jacks are for. Drop the right rear jack and fill with ease.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:13 AM   #22

On the 2018 (like 2016) the filler is left side of rear, so we pick pumps on the left with clearance on the right. I have a reference point remembered for back of coach in mirror, at the last second I swing right a little to move the rear closer to the pump (carefully).

No issues with toad but ours is tiny (Sonic). We had one yesterday that was a tight exit - that's always my biggest worry and I noticed the height of the roof yesterday was very very low. Another thing to keep an eye on, even though one "assumes" they are all at a good minimum height.
Bigfoot_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:26 AM   #23

I agree with OP. Our 2013 Thor filled on the left side. Our current rig fills in the rear. I much preferred the left side as you didn't need so much room in front of the pump you were using. I also can tell when I am close to the right position by my rear camera, but also look out the side window for confirmation.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder, fuel