Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2018, 10:14 AM   #1

Fueling up Newer Bounders

Does anyone else with a newer generation Bounder get frustrated with the location of the Fuel Filler ?. It seems in order for me to fill up, I have to stick ways out of the island. I'll be towing for the first time, so I am actually kind of nervous. I'm gonna have to have my wife scope out the Gas Stations ahead of time. Once in a while the Diesel pumps for the big rigs will have a Gas Pump but I havent seen anything consistent
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2018, 10:29 AM   #2

You will be fine. Our first MH was a 90 Bounder 31-footer that filled in the rear. All 31 feet sticking past the pump so that the hose would reach.

Scoping out pumps on Google never hurts. Just look for Flying J's if you are really concerned. Always fill up before you really need to, so you have the option to move to the station if you don't fit.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:26 PM   #3
CLR

We only had one time we had to disconnect the dinghy to get out. Pick end pumps. Pilot does not have RV lanes but Flying J does if you use the good Sam discount.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:48 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I used to have a 34' foot with the fill in the end. You get used to it. Many fuel islands have two pumps, you just use the 'first' pump and put the 'second' pump beside the middle of the rig. Yes, you're blocking one of the pumps, but I always figured that was better than blocking the driveway. From a fuel purchased point of view, I expect that the station doesn't mind, you're buying enough to fill at LEAST two cars.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:19 PM   #5

With our 33C and a toad, we usually have two pumps covered using the rear pump to fill. After a couple of attempts, we only go in where the pumps are on the left.

Our biggest concern is getting out.In Canada, most of the fuel stations are parallel to the road and in the state, perpendicular. So we do not like pump islands with the building and parking spaces in front. Sometimes, when forced, we wait for the parking spaces to clear.

Never worried blocking two pumps, we buy more fuel that two cars. It is bitch when we pull in behind a car if the forward pump and the driver disappears. No option but to wait. I figure if enough space is blocked the station owner will find the missing driver. No backing up with the toad on.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
With our 33C and a toad, we usually have two pumps covered using the rear pump to fill. After a couple of attempts, we only go in where the pumps are on the left.

Our biggest concern is getting out.In Canada, most of the fuel stations are parallel to the road and in the state, perpendicular. So we do not like pump islands with the building and parking spaces in front. Sometimes, when forced, we wait for the parking spaces to clear.

Never worried blocking two pumps, we buy more fuel that two cars. It is bitch when we pull in behind a car if the forward pump and the driver disappears. No option but to wait. I figure if enough space is blocked the station owner will find the missing driver. No backing up with the toad on.
We went through this on Saturday. Driver filled and then disappeared inside the store for a long time. He should have moved his car, but many are clueless.
Elwood58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:12 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
...You get used to it. Many fuel islands have two pumps, you just use the 'first' pump and put the 'second' pump beside the middle of the rig. Yes, you're blocking one of the pumps, but I always figured that was better than blocking the driveway. From a fuel purchased point of view, I expect that the station doesn't mind, you're buying enough to fill at LEAST two cars.
Same here. Our fuel fill is 37ft behind the front bumper.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:59 PM   #8

There is a Flying J close by that has a dedicated RV gas lane. I’ve never used it but it looks tricky to get out off as you have to make a real tight left turn into the area cars park in front of the store.
I just block pumps.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:43 PM   #9

The newer stations, even Flying J & Loves are making gas islands hard for MH, especially with toad. Have to really look for stations with good islands. We were at Flying J in AR & looked good until long bed 4 dr pu parked to go inside in front of us. DW made it out with me outside directing. She was a little worried but did great. (Oh yes pu person was inside forever).
RM travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM travelers View Post
The newer stations, even Flying J & Loves are making gas islands hard for MH, especially with toad. Have to really look for stations with good islands. We were at Flying J in AR & looked good until long bed 4 dr pu parked to go inside in front of us. DW made it out with me outside directing. She was a little worried but did great. (Oh yes pu person was inside forever).

If your ever in southern TX look for Buc-Ees stations - have separate RV islands. Really great, but lately autos have been filling those islands up because Buc-Ees is real popular & auto drivers leave the cars at island to go in & shop for awhile. Wish they would have more stations.
RM travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:05 PM   #11

I agree that one of the biggest disadvantages of a gas RV is the fact that it can be hard to find a gas pump I can use. I have a 35' Fleetwood Bounder Classic.

What I have elected to do is; 1) I always start the day with a full tank so that I can drive the entire day without having to stop for gas with the dinghy attached. And, 2) when I fill up in the morning, my DW follows me to the gas station in the dinghy, driving it separately. After I fill up, then we find a spot to hook up the dinghy. Frequently, the night before, I scout out a gas station that I can use in this fashion.

As for blocking pumps, I figure the station would prefer that I block the one pump, rather than block a traffic lane.
BernieCheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:00 PM   #12

Great stuff. Thanks. I put the Flying J app on my phone and will Also use the Allstays app and plan accordingly
Old 08-09-2018, 06:10 AM   #13

Yep, I plan my travel day based on this. Flying J with the RV lanes is good but don't assume ANY Flying J has them. Some are the ABSOLUTE WORST for RVs with a toad in the gas lanes.
I scope this out on Google maps when planning my trips along with the Gasbuddy app for prices. The location of the filler is what it is. It can't be changed. Plan around it accordingly. The "price" to pay for paying less than diesel at time of rv purchase AND each time you fill up.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:00 AM   #14

I have the Pilot Flying J app on my phone. Most but not all of the Flying J's have a dedicated RV lane. Using the app I identify before getting there if the station does indeed have a dedicated RV lane. Another bonus is if you have a Good Sam card it's good for a decent discount on any fuel or propane purchases. I have never encountered a Flying J RV island where I didn't fit and my current rig is 62.5 feet going down the road with the toad attached. When we owned a Bounder we put a small piece of tape on the drivers side convex rear view mirror that coincided with the back of the coach, that way we had a good idea of when we were close while pulling up to the pump. Put something easily visible on the ground at the back of the coach, then sit in the drivers seat and put a reference mark on the convex mirror that coincided with the object you just placed on the ground.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder, fuel