RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2020, 01:20 PM   #1

Full Length Slide

Considering making an offer on a 2006 Discovery with a full length slide. I will appreciate comments and information on this coach. is the full length slide a problem?

Tov61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2020, 06:48 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It's a bit more complex than shorter slides because it requires multiple motors to move it. That means they have to be properly synchronized so the slide moves straight in/out rather than cock-eyed. As long as they stay in synch, it's not any different than any other slide. If they get out of synch, then re-synching is needed.

The other possible complication is the long, long slide topper. It may even be in two sections.

Generally, though, not a big deal.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:53 PM   #3
Cat

I will also add to this that Fleetwood had full wall slide motors the were under size. There has also been some problems buying parts for the slide control and the motors, several years ago you couldn't buy the older motor, but that meant you needed to buy all three updated motors at 500.00 each. Also unrelated to the slide that coach most likely has a Atwood leveleg leveling system. It was not the most reliable leveling system and parts are difficult to find. And parts were needed to keep them working. Hope that helps- Safe Travels
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:38 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As a retired mechanical engineer, I do not like the full wall slides. It is just too big of a hole with an unsupported roof structure. The ones that we have run across in campgrounds, there are lots of failures of the overloaded mechanism and/or leaks. The hydraulic ones seem to have fewer problems.

Ken
Old 06-29-2020, 08:56 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Got a 5 year old Discovery with a full wall slide. So far no problems extending and retracting. But in very heavy rains water enters the ends if from the wrong direction. The 27' awning flaps in heavy winds.
But we love the extra space. On short stays it stays in.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:46 PM   #6
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
As a retired mechanical engineer, I do not like the full wall slides. It is just too big of a hole with an unsupported roof structure. The ones that we have run across in campgrounds, there are lots of failures of the overloaded mechanism and/or leaks. The hydraulic ones seem to have fewer problems.

Ken
I am not aware of how other full wall slides are built. But the 2007 Fleetwood 38V had very U shaped support in the middle of the slide opening. The one side of the U it was welded to the frame of the coach. The center of the U was in a wall that was centered of the coach. The upper portion of the U continued along in the ceiling to the other half of the coach and was welded to the very top frame of the opening of the slide. The U shaped support is what gave the center of the slide support. In the 48,000 miles of driving I never saw in any flex in this area. Even walking the length of full wall slide opening I never felt any flex. So I felt pretty comfortable with the construction of the wall. Though I did break a roller on the support beam that extended and retracts the wall.

One down side to all the metal they put into wall slide opening to strengthen it was the heat transfer from the outside of the wall to the inside of in high ambient climates and the cold that transferred in, in cold climates.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

Ken

I would like to know of any factual design problem and state what they are per design not just opinion because we know what that worth. Do you actually know how fleetwood/ American coach design the roof and walls? Have you done a poll on electric slides hydraulic ones?
Old 06-30-2020, 11:09 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

In general, the sidewalls of a coach don't support the roof anyway. It's not house construction; the roof is framed first and the sides are basically just propped up in the hole between the ends and the roof. The walls probably help stiffen the assembly a bit once the walls are fastened, but it's not really a supporting wall.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:29 AM   #9

tov61

Thanks for all your input on the Discovery full length slide. I appreciate the information you all forwarded. Decided against making an offer on teh Discovery.....

Tov61
Tov61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:49 AM   #10
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tov61 View Post
Thanks for all your input on the Discovery full length slide. I appreciate the information you all forwarded. Decided against making an offer on teh Discovery.....

Tov61
Thank you for coming back to the thread, and letting us know what you decided. Good Luck in searching for the right RV for you. Safe Travels

Tags
slide