Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2020, 12:03 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Full Wall Slide

My son is looking at some Fleetwood gas motor homes with full wall slides. Can anyone provide some feedback on how reliable it is?

Thanks in advance
909dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2020, 12:10 AM   #2

That is a concern I have as well.
That looks like a lot of weight in one slide and is it reducing the integrity of the coach itself. Hope you don't mind if I follow along.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:51 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
mine works very well just slow to retract. it has a couch, "U" shaped dinette table and 4 door frig and works fine after 11 years. wouldn't think twice about buying another one. IMHO
Kevan & Rebecca(BTW) 2009 Fleetwood PaceArrow 38P 8.1 on W24 chassis w/air bags, 1990 Goldwing 1500, 2010 Jeep Liberty, RVM#197, FMCA#F413587, FMA#7985, WCMC, 2 dogs Cody and Sadie
PappaBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:23 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
AS an engineer, I do not like the full wall slide. It just looks like a problem waitinf to happen. We know a few folks with them and some have had no problems, but they do not use it much. Others that travel more have had issues.

Personally, I would not have one.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:31 AM   #5

Look at 2019 Thor Challenger 37FH floorplan passenger side very deep full wall slide contains fireplace 50inch inside and 42inch outside tv,complete kitchen heavy solid surface counter top residential fridge large pantry full of canned goods, hot water heater stack washer and dryer, bedroom 7 large drawers,large wardrobe closet and 32in tv. It's the 3 Trac electric slide by Lippert we're fulltime and move every 2-3 weeks,no problems 20months now.
Wrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
AS an engineer, I do not like the full wall slide. It just looks like a problem waitinf to happen. We know a few folks with them and some have had no problems, but they do not use it much. Others that travel more have had issues.

Ken

Don’t like in general? Or which ones electric or hydraulic? Or in which manufacturer cause structures are different.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

Ken
Hi Ken,
Have to agree. Are your concerns of the slide and mechanicals or the integrity of the coach or both?

I feel the mechanics will be ok but I'm more concerned about the coach structure. That is a very big hole in that wall with no bracing.

Jeff
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:54 AM   #8
HRF

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 2007 Fleetwood Excursion with the full wall slide that works well and have only had one problem. Something happened to the program in the controller and the slide would not open. A dealer had to reprogram the controller. I am not sure what all was involved in that repair but apparently a special tool is needed to do the job and not all dealers have them. That happened 3 years ago and no problems since. No water leaks or anything like that. I would buy one again.
HRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:33 AM   #9

That is a concern I have as well.
That looks like a lot of weight in one slide and is it reducing the integrity of the coach itself. Hope you don't mind if I follow along.

I don't want to single out anyone for voicing this concern because it is a concern of many when it comes to buying a coach. My coach has a full wall slide, my previous coach had a full wall slide and my next one will be the same.

As for the weight, my current slide has the bedroom closet & drawers, pantry, frig., kitchen counter, & theatre seats. All those items would be on that side of the coach even if it didn't have slides. If it had two slides on that side, then about 90% of that weight would be in those two slides and there would be twice as many extension control circuits to maintain.

The only extra weight is the floor, ceiling, and two ends of the slide and slide extension arms (of different types). The opening in the side of the coach is trussed along the top of the coach wall, supporting the roof, and it doesn't take that much of a truss to span a 25' space.

The only thing I would stay away from is the Lippert rack & pinion tracks that has been used in the past on the big slides.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909dude View Post
My son is looking at some Fleetwood gas motor homes with full wall slides. Can anyone provide some feedback on how reliable it is?

Thanks in advance

We looked at a lot of MH slides gas & DP, found a lot to be flimsy , especially lower end models. We choose Fleetwood (ours is 2016 gas Bounder) because all their MH slide mechanisms looked very sturdy. Don’t have full wall slide, but is a large slide & 4 yrs no problems, except small plastic rollers mark up flooring when bouncing down the road. Had dealer in stall “softer rollers” from Fleetwood, but did same thing. Now just tape plastic sheets where the 4 rollers ride on floor when slide in & no more problems. Ok
RM travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:16 AM   #11

Have 06 fleetwood flair, 3 slides, galley, bedrm and large lv rm slides. Have experienced two issues so far...neither very bad. One, elect motor alum bracket self destructed last year, replaced, took longer to get it than replace it, bout 45 min job.
Second, canopy on two of the slideouts have lost tension or lapsed in position so they rub against the MH frame so i shimmed them out away from the MH w small wood shims, almost invisible, work fine now.
tom3855wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:18 AM   #12

Amen love SLL the xtra room when open, only problem is...you will have the largest MH inside so prepare for all the get togethers esp. If rains come. Hahahah
Old 06-05-2020, 08:19 AM   #13

Found the older type carriages are way more reliable than the newer 4 track models, too likely to become out of square sinc.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:23 AM   #14

Roger that. Also.

Tags
slide