RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2020, 04:48 PM   #1

Generator question

My onan 5500 generator when running does not put out any current for my 2004 Fleetwood southwind. Wiring diragram shows a generator receptacle, any-
one know just where this is?I've looked but no luck. Have checked breakers both inside and outside, all is good.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2020, 05:29 PM   #2

If you do not have a transfer switch, then you most certainly will have a generator receptacle. It should be in the same compartment as your shore cord.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:28 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I find it hard to believe that an '04 Southwind doesn't have an auto-transfer switch. My '96 had one, and a friends 2004 Pace (sister to the Southwind) did as well.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:59 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
hi

my ats switch
in my 2000 southwind 36t its behind the 12 volt fuse panel

have a look thete
BCTRAVELER99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood58 View Post
If you do not have a transfer switch, then you most certainly will have a generator receptacle. It should be in the same compartment as your shore cord.
That was the first place I looked, did not see anything.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I find it hard to believe that an '04 Southwind doesn't have an auto-transfer switch. My '96 had one, and a friends 2004 Pace (sister to the Southwind) did as well.
I kinda think I do have one, just can't find it.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTRAVELER99 View Post
hi

my ats switch
in my 2000 southwind 36t its behind the 12 volt fuse panel

have a look thete
Is that the one in the bedroom?
Old 09-25-2020, 08:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithd7 View Post
I kinda think I do have one, just can't find it.
The hint - think about the shortest wire path from where the shore power cord terminates in your electrical compartment.

Inverters, batteries, transfer switches and shore power, etc are typically about 3 or 4 feet of wire from the other things they terminate to. The shore power cord can connect directly inside the ATS.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:55 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Follow the shore cord or generator wiring until you find the junction of the two. That's where the ATS has to be. Typically in coaches like yours it is behind the 120v load center (breaker box), but the two sets of power cables ought to be easy to identify if there.

In my last Fleetwood-designed coach it was in the bay where the shore cord entered the RV. Just a plain black box.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:50 PM   #10

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Follow the shore cord or generator wiring until you find the junction of the two. That's where the ATS has to be. Typically in coaches like yours it is behind the 120v load center (breaker box), but the two sets of power cables ought to be easy to identify if there.

In my last Fleetwood-designed coach it was in the bay where the shore cord entered the RV. Just a plain black box.
I found it, it is behind the load center in the bedroom. Now what is an easy way to see if it works?
Old 09-26-2020, 01:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithd7 View Post
I found it, it is behind the load center in the bedroom. Now what is an easy way to see if it works?
When the cover is open, it will look like a big version of a standard relay. There will be a set of contacts on each end, and a raised set in the middle above a coil. The "load" side should be fairly obvious, that will be the wires going directly to the circuit box. The other two are the shore cord and the generator.

Transfer switches will have a "preference" decided by a spring that is overpowered by the coil. It is usually set for the shore cord to have preference. When the generator is active, it energizes the coil and pulls the plate down, into the lower contact point, which SHOULD be connected to the end contacts on that side of the relay.

So look at the metal plate that will be under the top contact bar - the spring will push the plate up into the top bar - that bar will be the shore power cord.

If you have the shore power cord connected, the box will be energized, so don't touch it with anything important. But meter the connection points, and you will be able to identify which is the shore cord. When the generator is active, the other connection point should read voltage.

There SHOULD also be a circuit breaker on the generator itself, it may need to be manually reset if it has tripped - many breakers are like that, they won't "look" like they are tripped if they are, but you will feel it when you reset it.
Old 09-26-2020, 02:19 PM   #12

If you found the switch, it will have a brand name and model #.

With that, you can find the trouble shooting guide online.

Have you confirmed that the generator is outputting over 90 volts. The ATC needs that to switch over.

There should be a junction box near the generator that connects the generator wires to the hose wiring. Been lots of reports of burnt wire nuts in there.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If you found the switch, it will have a brand name and model #.

With that, you can find the trouble shooting guide online.

Have you confirmed that the generator is outputting over 90 volts. The ATC needs that to switch over.

There should be a junction box near the generator that connects the generator wires to the hose wiring. Been lots of reports of burnt wire nuts in there.
Thanks to all that have posted here, found everything and the generator is putting current to the coach. I think the real problem was my lack of info. on how the system works. Thanks again

now on to my next problem, new thread coming up.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:37 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
my 12 & 120 volt fuse panels are located under
my side by side fridge
BCTRAVELER99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator