Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2015, 09:59 AM   #1

Generator shutting down

1996 American Eagle, gen has decided to shut it's self off. Trips the reset button under the top step. Called Fleetwood and they said count the blinks on the gen for a fault code. Never seen a light like that on the gen. Any ideas on what would cause the reset button to trip before I start taking stuff apart looking? Thanks
1996 Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2015, 10:44 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
A bit more information would help us help you. What make and model of generator do you have? An Onan generator usually has a Start/Stop switch right on the generator and also a remote start/stop on the dashboard or control panel. The LED in the switch is the one that blinks error codes. If it is an Onan, look up the owner's and troubleshooting manual on Google to get a listing of the codes and what they mean.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 04:01 PM   #3

Yes in the start stop switch should be red light in it should flash first anywhere from 1 to 3 or 4 times then a brief pause the flash some more.. Let us know the model of the unit and perhaps someone can help you on here.
mrkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:58 AM   #4

Gen model is 8DKDFJ Been looking around the internet and here and have found lots of gen problems but nothing specific to that fault button. Nothing has ever flashed in the dash switch. Remote controls are under the top step which id where the button is. Been told that the gen is bad(don't think so as everything works fine when running),among others. Best answer has been it is the shutdown fault breaker for overheating or low oil pressure. Testing with a heat gun has shown over 200 degrees at the upper hose at the thermostat. not sure the fan is coming on either.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:01 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
You seem to have the older Kubota 3 cylinder powered generator, I'm not sure if it has the error code blinking. Every link I try for the Onan manuals takes me to their main page, not the PDF manuals I used to find. The radiator fan not working could definitely cause overheating and shut down.

Bob & Donna
Old 10-02-2015, 06:47 AM   #6

Has a water temp sensor but no gauge(will have shortly). Does that sensor run the fan? Going to have to go into the wire harness to trace the wires to the fan. Have a dc wiring diagram but has no reference to the fan.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:51 AM   #7

Has the fuel filter been changed lately?
znt1186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:02 AM   #8

When it does run is there a lot of air blowing out of the bottom? All the acess panels must be in place to check. If no air movement it is the fan belt.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:23 PM   #9

Fuel filter change about 5hrs ago. Side mounted radiator with electric fan. Alt belt changed at last service and is running.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:33 AM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
The DKDFJ is Usually the most reliable Genny Onan ever built, Although considered Vintage and a little noisy my most, Its easy to service and diagnose. Look Like this one ?
Now lets get started. In my experience with my 23 yr old DKDFJ the only reason its will shut down is overheating and or lack of Fuel.
On the external radiator top hose inlet side there is a Temp Switch ( 2 wires) which activates the Fan--- Is that working ? usually comes on @ 210 deg. If you remove the 2 wires and jump them your fan should come on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Genny 2012-5.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	108725  
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
The DKDFJ is Usually the most reliable Genny Onan ever built, Although considered Vintage and a little noisy my most, Its easy to service and diagnose. Look Like this one ?
Now lets get started. In my experience with my 23 yr old DKDFJ the only reason its will shut down is overheating and or lack of Fuel.
On the external radiator top hose inlet side there is a Temp Switch ( 2 wires) which activates the Fan--- Is that working ? usually comes on @ 210 deg. If you remove the 2 wires and jump them your fan should come on.
Looks just like that. Have been looking for the fan switch(wondered where they put it)It really don't smell that hot but if it shuts off about 210 it may not. Also wondered where I was going to put the gauges I am going to add and you answered that too. Thanks
Old 10-05-2015, 07:55 AM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
Just 2 more things to check.
The Eng over heat shutdown switch is located at the Thermostat housing and its on the left side -single wire attached, if that activates (around 220 deg) it will trip the breaker and shut the Engine off.
2- There is a fuse for the Fan- Located on the firewall just above the Generator- Its an inline ATO 15 amp. You might want to check that too.I have all of the manuals on the DK series, if you need anything let me know. I also have all of the part numbers and sources if you need them . I rebuilt mine back in 07 after 10,000 plus hours, New one has around 3,000 hours.
A 250 hour maintenance schedule is important to keep them running with no issues.
Let us know what you find.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:12 PM   #13

Haven't been able to find a sensor that would turn on the fan or the fuse yet. Could be under the chassis harness box? Nothing with 2 wires at the radiator or on the engine. There is 2 sensors at the thermostat housing and top of the cyl head. Head is supposed to be a temp sensor for what I don't know. Other at the thermostat housing I am assuming is the one to shut the engine down. Shouldn't I be able to ground that wire and have the engine shut off? Did run a hot wire to the fan and it is toast. Runs but got hot after a few seconds and is noisy. Thanks for helping
Old 10-05-2015, 08:52 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Look and see if the fan is isolated from ground. Some temp sensors might ground out when hot, allowing fan to run.

Bob & Donna

Tags
generator