Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2015, 06:49 PM   #1

Generator will not run

We have 1997 Bounder our generator is not getting fuel. 5000 Onan. Fuel pump is only getting 10.87 volts. I hook battery charger to it and it runs fine. I took fuel line loose at carb and no fuel. I took fuel line off inlett to fuel pump then put air pressure to fuel tank and I can push gas out fuel line. Fuel tank is 3/4 full. I took fuel pump out and hooked a short hose to it and it will pump that way.

Could fuel pump be getting weak and not able to pull fuel from rear of coach?

Thanks
bhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2015, 06:58 PM   #2

Your battery voltage is too low. Fully charged, it should have above 12.5 volts, and higher when running.

Link to battery info:

http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:14 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
Your battery voltage is too low. Fully charged, it should have above 12.5 volts, and higher when fully charged
+1....you proved your furl pump is good when you hooked up the charger and it run OK.

Dan
Old 06-11-2015, 06:43 AM   #4

Today I will hook a piece of fuel line to inlet on fuel pump an see if it can pull enough to run generator. I am still thinking the pump could be weak and need replacing.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:49 AM   #5

Now I have to just find a fuel pump. I found one and it is almost $ 300. As soon as I can get one I should be good.

Mine runs fine just very weak
Old 06-12-2015, 09:36 PM   #6

I also have a 97 Bounder with the Onan 5000. My generator sputtered out when I was giving it a test run a few weeks ago and after that refuses to start. It cranks but won't turn over. I checked the fuses, reset the breakers, my next step was going to be changing the plugs. It has less than 290 hours on it. I didn't know there was a fuel pump, where is it located?
Johnp292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:46 AM   #7

The fuel pump is in back of the engine on the rear side. It is a little tricky getting the pump out. The pump is mounted to a bracket. There are 3 nuts on the top of fuel pump that mounts it to the bracket. You can get to them by reaching over the top of the engine. The wires on the pump can be reached from under the generator. First check and see if the pump is running, then check to see if it will pull gas. Mine runs fine but will not pull gas. I hooked a hose to it and it will not lift gas up.

Is your gas tank at least 1/4 full?

Good luck
Old 06-14-2015, 07:26 AM   #8

Make sure there is a good ground. Others have had ground problems on Bounders. If the gas sat in that carb for a year, it might need to be rebuilt. I put a shut off valve on the gas line. I close the valve and let the gen run out of gas. Better for storage.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:59 PM   #9

I ordered a new fuel pump on line. Received it Monday and had time today to install it. The generator started right up and runs great. The old pump had just worn out, it ran good just did not pump fuel.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:56 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhale View Post
I ordered a new fuel pump on line. Received it Monday and had time today to install it. The generator started right up and runs great. The old pump had just worn out, it ran good just did not pump fuel.
Glad you got 'er fixed.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:21 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Thanks for the update. Glad it's fixed

Quote:

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:41 AM   #12

Quote:
That's good news. Can you post or DM me a link to the part you purchased?

Thanks.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:51 AM   #13

I used this one:
Onan Generator Fuel Pump 149 2267 Replaces Cummins 149 267 Rotory Electric Pump | eBay
Old 07-02-2015, 08:39 AM   #14

Quote:
The fuel pump is in back of the engine on the rear side. It is a little tricky getting the pump out. The pump is mounted to a bracket. There are 3 nuts on the top of fuel pump that mounts it to the bracket. You can get to them by reaching over the top of the engine. The wires on the pump can be reached from under the generator. First check and see if the pump is running, then check to see if it will pull gas. Mine runs fine but will not pull gas. I hooked a hose to it and it will not lift gas up.

Is your gas tank at least 1/4 full?

Good luck
Yes the tank is full.

I found the pump, the ground connection was pretty loose, tightened that up but it didn't help. I did verify that there is voltage at the pump when I crank the generator. Before I start playing around with the pump I'm going to do a tune up on the generator, I don't know if it's ever been done. The generator has about 280 hours on it. I ordered plugs, air filter, oil filter and fuel filter from Onan last week. I'm pretty annoyed that they aren't here yet, I was hoping to do the tune up over the long weekend. I'm a little limited in how much I can do at the moment, my left foot is in a cast (see my "Ouchie" thread for details...). I also found the service manual for the generator online, that seems to have a lot of good troubleshooting info in it, so I'm hopeful I'll get this figured out.

Tags
generator