Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2021, 01:16 PM   #1

Genset starting issue

Hey all,

We are new to the forum and are hoping someone may shed some light on this issue.
We just purchased a new to us 2014 Fleetwood excursion 35B and all has been well so far until now. I tried staring the 6000 onan genset from the dash switch and she wouldn't turn over. I did get her to start from the main panel but she shut down after just a couple of minutes and did not run up to full rpms.
Hoping someone can give a little direction. I presume that I simply missed something as this is our first Class A and I am not completely familiar with all of the systems as yet.
Hoping someone can give a little insight.

Thanks,
RGP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2021, 01:36 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
How long since the generator was last started? It should be exercised at least once a month, with a load. There is a control board between the remote start switch and the generator. Did you wait 60 seconds and then put a load on the generator, such as turning on an AC? Make sure you don't run the generator with the front panel off, as it is a significant part of the cooling system. When the generator shuts off, it should flash the light in the middle of the local start switch. If it does, write down how many flashes between repeats. Then hold down the bottom of the switch until it starts to flash a different code. Write that code(s) down and report back.
Old 09-10-2021, 03:56 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Genset starting issue

The only time I had a similar issue, my fuel tank was not full enough. The reason I thought this was once it was full it started right up.
I hope you get it going.

Judy
2014 Fleetwood Excursion 33a
Nonnaof Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 05:56 PM   #4

Genset starting issue

Not enough fuel 1/4 of a tank
Clogged genny fuel filter
Did it throw a code when it shut down?
It not turning over isnít a fuel problem but a voltage problem which could cause it to die. What is your house batteries voltage?
Old 09-12-2021, 03:38 AM   #5

Hold the Start switch in the OFF position until the light comes on. It primes the pump. After you get it running you may need to adjust the altitude dial on the generator. That dial can make a huge difference in how it runs.
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 04:14 PM   #6

Donrny you work on your own engine ?
Old 09-13-2021, 05:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
How long since the generator was last started? It should be exercised at least once a month, with a load. There is a control board between the remote start switch and the generator. Did you wait 60 seconds and then put a load on the generator, such as turning on an AC? Make sure you don't run the generator with the front panel off, as it is a significant part of the cooling system. When the generator shuts off, it should flash the light in the middle of the local start switch. If it does, write down how many flashes between repeats. Then hold down the bottom of the switch until it starts to flash a different code. Write that code(s) down and report back.
We appreciate all of the help and responses, we last ran the genset 2 weeks ago for a couple of hours and it ran just fine. Since posting, latter that day I restarted as you noted and had no issues. She started right up , I waited before putting a load on and she ran fine under load (AC, fridge, etc.) for over an hour and shut down normally. I'm thinking operator error, but believe me, I really do appreciate all of you that are willing to help and provide some good insight.

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2021, 02:21 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you just changed to gen oil make sure it’s not over full. Freightliner guy changed mine a couple years ago and put too much oil in. Gen error said low oil but when I took some out it ran fine and no problem since.
scarpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 05:58 PM   #9

Onan 5500

Recently had a similar issue with my Bounder 36Z. Gen started fine and took load then immediately shut down. Would not restart unless I shut breakers off inside gen enclosure. This told me gen control was sensing voltage outside its parameters. Found ground wire had rubbed through a live wire inside a junction box next to gen enclosure. Repaired and no problems since. Most likely caused by vibration due to our nasty roads here in Alaska.
ak-snopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 12:07 PM   #10

2014 Excursion 35B 6KW genset starting issue

Hey all,
I appreciate every ones help previously regarding my genset starting issues, but I am afraid that I need to pick your brains again.
Our 6kw genset just clicks when trying to start, doesn't turn over.
I checked specific gravity in our house battery's and found 2 cells bad, replaced that battery but still no start. I rechecked battery's and do have 1-2 cells in another battery that show low, but still in the green. I have checked connections, and all are tight and surprisingly no corrosion. I checked voltage at the genset terminals and read 13.75 volts. I did pull the front cover and found out 2 things.......... I need more tools......... and apparently they put the solenoid to the rear of the unit where I can't reach (at least for now) because these rigs don't have a slide for the gensets.
Any insight would be very welcomed.

Thanks again!
Old 12-07-2021, 02:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGP1 View Post
Hey all,

I appreciate every ones help previously regarding my genset starting issues, but I am afraid that I need to pick your brains again.

Our 6kw genset just clicks when trying to start, doesn't turn over.

I checked specific gravity in our house battery's and found 2 cells bad, replaced that battery but still no start. I rechecked battery's and do have 1-2 cells in another battery that show low, but still in the green. I have checked connections, and all are tight and surprisingly no corrosion. I checked voltage at the genset terminals and read 13.75 volts. I did pull the front cover and found out 2 things.......... I need more tools......... and apparently they put the solenoid to the rear of the unit where I can't reach (at least for now) because these rigs don't have a slide for the gensets.

Any insight would be very welcomed.

Thanks again!

Are you sure the clicking isnít the fuel pump trying to prime?
How much fuel do you have?
Old 12-07-2021, 02:19 PM   #12

How old is your chassis battery ? If more than 3 or 4yrs replace that too.. now here is why..
Start chassis eng.. let run for 5 mins.. then while running.. hold down aux start button.. for 5 to 8mins.. rev up main eng to 1500 rpm.. and try to start gen at same time..
Members here... post.. when ever you replace one coach battery... you must replace the other as well.. it is very technical but short story is replace all at same time.. if you have or had bad coach batteries.. I bet your chassis battery is next..
Because they all interconnect ... while eng running going down the road... ie.. the eng alternator charges the coach batteries going down the road.. all the batteries need to be new or close to new..
Report back as I will go from there...
Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you