Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2011, 06:13 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Getting prepared for a major tune up with too many questions on correct parts #

I have a 83 Pace Arrow on a Chevy/GM P30 base with a 454 7.4 engine, and I am starting to buy everything I need to replace all of the belts, hoses, tune up and oil change etc.

Normally I know what to buy before because I have already performed these task, but being this is my first motorhome I have yet to do any of this, and wanting to have all of the parts on had prior to doing anything has create a dilemma.

None of the manuals I have located provided me with any part number, with the exception of a p-30 chassis book, and they are all listed as strictly GM part #, and I would prefer not to have to stick with stock parts if I can locate a good quality replacement at a fairer price, and I have yet been able to locate a chart on line that can convert these GM# over to other make parts #. Also and being this p-30 chassis book did not come with my motorhome I am still not positive these part # are correct.

I have looked at a couple of Internet auto part sites online that seems to be geared toward auto repair shops and in review of the indexes under 83 Chevy P30 base with a 454 7.4 engine, and they parts number did not always match up either.

So here is my dump question:

Is anyone aware of a Internet site that provide a solid correct part index that will provide me a various makes and their parts number for all of the item I listed above?

I just don't want to have to get into the process only to discover that one or more of the parts I bought is not the correct part.

I have gone into a auto part store already with the same base line and they seems confused on what part to sell me and they expected me to know the correct one I needed, and at this point I just don't have that data available.

So if anyone can help me in this matter it would be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2011, 09:19 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi kartvines,
You have a noble goal of having all the parts available before you begin. I do not know how to do this. I have never been able to do this. In addition, I like to do one thing and then check it out to make sure the activity was correct and I did not create additional problems. I usually start with the plugs, wires and associated parts. Get all that done, start the engine up and make sure everything is running okay. Then go to air, oil filters and fluid. For belts, I usually have had to remove the belts and that them to the local NAPA store to get replacements. Once done I now have their part numbers. The same for coolant hoses. I remove the hoses and take them to the NAPA store. The thermostat should be an easy purchase by providing the engine information.

Sorry I am unable to help by answering your question, but at least you know you are no alone.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:02 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
major tune up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi kartvines,
You have a noble goal of having all the parts available before you begin. I do not know how to do this. I have never been able to do this. In addition, I like to do one thing and then check it out to make sure the activity was correct and I did not create additional problems. I usually start with the plugs, wires and associated parts. Get all that done, start the engine up and make sure everything is running okay. Then go to air, oil filters and fluid. For belts, I usually have had to remove the belts and that them to the local NAPA store to get replacements. Once done I now have their part numbers. The same for coolant hoses. I remove the hoses and take them to the NAPA store. The thermostat should be an easy purchase by providing the engine information.

Sorry I am unable to help by answering your question, but at least you know you are no alone.
Good advice, but there is a problem I am paying my mechinic that I used for my business for a day to help me, and I will need to have as much that I can provide at the time of installation in order for me to get the most bang for my buck.

Also just going to the Auto-part store and telling the guy at the counter that I need X part from a 83 Chevy 454 engine will alway get me the part I need? I am alway asked more questions that I have answers for to get the correct part being I guess there are so many variations.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Consider being the parts runner and helper while the mechanic does the work on something else (he is doing the tune-up as you get belts and hoses). Taking belts and hoses to the NAPA store has always worked for me.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:03 PM   #5
IC2

I try to do what you are doing whenever I do a tune-up or update on a vehicle as well. As far as fan belts, they should have a number molded in the outer surface along with the GM number. This number will give your supplier the width, the circumference as well as the side angle. The top radiator hose - might be a special, but there should be a cross reference regardless of whatever brand is currently on the engine. This is the Gates Competitive Hose Interchange and should be able to give you a number , that is assuming you do have a GM or other recognized part number: Part Interchange
Old 01-20-2011, 05:00 PM   #6

GM number should work at Napa

Napa and other "better" auto and truck supply houses should have access to conversion tables via ther computers to convert the GM numbers to whatever it is they use.

In some cases there may be a few different ones depending on which options are there, and if you are lucky these items will not be special order but standard stock atems and in stock as well.

If you are near a Napa distribution store then you could go with your manual in hand and they can help you, where there are multiple choices you could purchase what they have and bring back what does not fit.

Belts and hoses should be standard unless there is an aftermarket modification, then for these the installed unit may need to be used as a sample, then for these get a flashlight and examine the installed units for manufacturer name like Gates and a part number, then you are set to go.

As others mentioned, be prepared to be a parts runner, have your mechanic remove things that you cannot get ahead of time and you go to get replacemets, he then can do the other work with the supplies you have already purchased and little time would be wasted unless Napa is a distance away.
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to The General
TQ60,

The key to obtaining the correct parts is:
454 7.4 engine with pwr steering, brakes and a/c on a truck or van chasis.If they have a P30 listing then all the better.
I've had 1972 RVs through 2008 and always have received the correct parts except belts and hoses which I had to take in.
Napa and AutoZone are my favorites and usually have parts in stock or have parts for you in a day or so.
Purchase the GM PCV valve because of the precise spring tension needed and knockoffs may not have.

Good Hunting,

Steve
The General is offline   Reply With Quote