RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2019, 07:59 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
GFI outlet

I have a 2004 Discovery the GFI is not working in the bathroom which knocks out the outlets in the kitchen I have no power to the GFI.I checked all the fuses,they are all good, any help would be great or an electrical print to see what feeds the outlet.
widge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2019, 01:54 PM   #2

First hit “reset” button on gfi. If still nothing just replace the gfi outlet. They do go bad.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:39 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Why do you think it is not working correctly? It is supposed to trip if it detects a ground fault in anything plugged into it or any of the outlets downstream from it. Odds are it is "working as designed". Fuses have nothing to do with GFCI, nor circuit breakers either.

Yes, it is possible for a GFCI to fail, but that's not usually the case (despite the popular internet opinions to the contrary).

This brief article may help you understand:
https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/...current_device
https://home.howstuffworks.com/question117.htm
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:45 PM   #4

The GFCI outlet must have power to it in order to reset it.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:11 PM   #5

i chased this problem recently on a fifth wheel... It turned out to be a heating rod to my refrigerator... see if the GFI holds with the fridge off.... If that does not work try it with the water heater off, check heating element....
nomoreosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:27 PM   #6

I would first check the power coming into the GFI outlet. If there is power there the issue is in the GFI or downstream. If no power the issue is upstream (toward the breaker box). This test can be done with a multimeter or a neon tester. Links to both below.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/WALFRONT-...133154a42dc83b

https://www.fruitridgetools.com/elec...obe%2049666-IR

They aren't the best of their type but they should get the job done.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:28 PM   #7

I had a problem this past weekend while trying to charge my golf cart with a basement outlet (GFCI outlet). Everytime I plugged the extension cord, which was connected to the battery charger, into the outlet, the outlet would trip. I reset the outlet, then tried again. Same results. I then plugged the charger directly into the outlet. BINGO, it worked. Evidently the extension cord was the culprit. Just wanted to add my experience in case it would help someone else.
shajoe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:21 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm one of those who have actually had a GFI fail (wouldn't reset). Replacement one wants to trip at random when plugging in or unplugging appliances so it's replacement is sitting in a drawer and waiting (that way I know it will never fail...).
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:02 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
We had a similar issue with our prior 2006 Bounder. Had no power to any outlet on the GFCI circuit. Pressing the reset on the outlet in the bathroom did nothing. Turned out, one of the wires had come out of the connector hole on that outlet in the bathroom. Reconnected it & BINGO!, power restored to it & all connected outlets.

Pull the outlet & check the connections. They can vibrate loose. It could be as simple as that.

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by widge View Post
I have a 2004 Discovery the GFI is not working in the bathroom which knocks out the outlets in the kitchen I have no power to the GFI.I checked all the fuses,they are all good, any help would be great or an electrical print to see what feeds the outlet.

On my 2003 it also had a gfi in the compartment under the awning on passenger side. If that tripped I had no power to the one in the bath.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
We had a similar issue with our prior 2006 Bounder. Had no power to any outlet on the GFCI circuit. Pressing the reset on the outlet in the bathroom did nothing. Turned out, one of the wires had come out of the connector hole on that outlet in the bathroom. Reconnected it & BINGO!, power restored to it & all connected outlets.

Pull the outlet & check the connections. They can vibrate loose. It could be as simple as that.

Lori-

Wow. We had the exact same thing happen on our 2006 Bounder also!
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 05:15 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
power loss

Thanks to everyone who contributed to my problem.I fixed the problem today and it turned out to be a bad GFI,when I checked the power to the line side with my neon tester it showed no power.When I came back today I checked the line side with my multimeter it showed power to line side would not reset,replaced GFI problem solved.Dennis and Mary Ann were right on target but there was great information from the rest of the members who chimed in.By the way I filed my trusty neon tester in the G file.
widge is offline   Reply With Quote