Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2022, 05:48 AM   #1

GPS tracking

Hi all. Anybody know if or how to tell if gps tracking is possible on my coach.
2015 fleetwood discovery 40e. It has the rand McNally Nav system, wondering if it’s able to be tracked in the event of theft. TIA
Fleetwood40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2022, 07:06 AM   #2

We have a pepwave which has gps tracking built in. So if you are looking to improve your cellular data capacity then you’d get both at the same time. But not cheap.
Old 09-30-2022, 07:19 AM   #3

Why don't you just stash an apple air tag where it isn't easily found?
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 06:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood40 View Post
Hi all. Anybody know if or how to tell if gps tracking is possible on my coach.
2015 fleetwood discovery 40e. It has the rand McNally Nav system, wondering if it’s able to be tracked in the event of theft. TIA
Generally speaking, a GPS is a radio frequency receiver, and it is designed to receive signals sent out from the GPS satellites.

In order to be tracked, a unit has to transmit a radio frequency signal which your McNally unit doesn't do.
Old 09-30-2022, 07:13 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You would have to buy a GPS tracker and install it. Most if not all charge a monthly fee. Here's a link to one. I don't own one nor can I recommend one. This one has a lot of reviews on Amazon.

https://a.co/hbn9NX5
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 05:03 AM   #6

GPS tracker

Thanks for the reply’s all. I didn’t think the nav system was built that way, just thought I’d ask cause there’s additional discounts for insurance if the unit is traceable. Not sure if they would accept an apple tag. But good idea I’ll check in to it
Old 10-01-2022, 11:38 AM   #7

As the previous responders have said your existing navigation system is receive-only and won't do tracking.

As to AirTags.... An AirTag is NOT a true tracker but it fakes it VERY well. AirTags take advantage of the fact that a large percentage of the population has iPhones on their belt or in their pocket. Each and every iPhone has a GPS tracker in it that can instantly phone home over the cellular data connection that it's owner pays for monthly.

Every tag has a unique serial number. All the AirTag does is trigger a nearby iPhone to phone home and pass a message containing the serial number and the current location (the latitude and longitude) of the iPhone. The owner of the phone has no idea that his phone is used as a proxy by each and every AirTag he walks by. Those frequent updates are what causes the dot on the map to "move". This function is part of the iPhone internal programming and does not require the iPhone owner to install an app.

The "Find My" app translates the serial number to whatever name you've assigned to the Tag and that name appears as a dot on the map.

Recently my wife and I took a long trip and we had an AirTag stashed in each piece of luggage. We were able to watch the luggage getting loaded on the airplane, and then after landing we watched them make it to the luggage carousel courtesy of the frequent anonymous proxy updates.

Now as to your need: There are several low-cost trackers out there. Every one that I've found requires a subscription fee... monthly, quarterly, yearly, whatever. It's the old "buy the cheap razor, we'll make the money on the blades" marketing method.

An acquaintance has the 12 volt version of this: $29 purchase plus $7 a month for service.
https: // www.amazon.com/stores/Trak-4/page/705032FD-DC8D-4B75-A5F2-186110B21197

If the insurance discount is more than the $84 a year service charge then it may be worth spending the $29 (plus shipping, which might be free).
Just connect the tracker to the house battery (before the disconnect switch so it's always live) and position it where it has an unobstructed view of the sky... perhaps directly under the dash where it can "see" through the windshield? Or inside a rooftop air conditioner shell? (the unit is NOT waterproof, so make sure it doesn't get rained on)

Mike
Old 10-01-2022, 03:22 PM   #8
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood40
Thanks for the reply’s all. I didn’t think the nav system was built that way, just thought I’d ask cause there’s additional discounts for insurance if the unit is traceable. Not sure if they would accept an apple tag. But good idea I’ll check in to it

Do you keep a cellular hotspot in your RV? We do. Each cellular hotspot has a unique cellular phone number. I keep that in my phone's Contacts because we all know that law enforcement can locate someone with just their cell number.

In addition, I use the Calyx Institute's Inseego M2000 hotspot. It has a GPS built in. Using their app I can see the location of my motorhome in the app.

Ray
Old 10-02-2022, 08:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMike View Post
As the previous responders have said your existing navigation system is receive-only and won't do tracking.

As to AirTags.... An AirTag is NOT a true tracker but it fakes it VERY well. AirTags take advantage of the fact that a large percentage of the population has iPhones on their belt or in their pocket. Each and every iPhone has a GPS tracker in it that can instantly phone home over the cellular data connection that it's owner pays for monthly.

Every tag has a unique serial number. All the AirTag does is trigger a nearby iPhone to phone home and pass a message containing the serial number and the current location (the latitude and longitude) of the iPhone. The owner of the phone has no idea that his phone is used as a proxy by each and every AirTag he walks by. Those frequent updates are what causes the dot on the map to "move". This function is part of the iPhone internal programming and does not require the iPhone owner to install an app.

The "Find My" app translates the serial number to whatever name you've assigned to the Tag and that name appears as a dot on the map.

Recently my wife and I took a long trip and we had an AirTag stashed in each piece of luggage. We were able to watch the luggage getting loaded on the airplane, and then after landing we watched them make it to the luggage carousel courtesy of the frequent anonymous proxy updates.

Now as to your need: There are several low-cost trackers out there. Every one that I've found requires a subscription fee... monthly, quarterly, yearly, whatever. It's the old "buy the cheap razor, we'll make the money on the blades" marketing method.

An acquaintance has the 12 volt version of this: $29 purchase plus $7 a month for service.
https: // www.amazon.com/stores/Trak-4/page/705032FD-DC8D-4B75-A5F2-186110B21197

If the insurance discount is more than the $84 a year service charge then it may be worth spending the $29 (plus shipping, which might be free).
Just connect the tracker to the house battery (before the disconnect switch so it's always live) and position it where it has an unobstructed view of the sky... perhaps directly under the dash where it can "see" through the windshield? Or inside a rooftop air conditioner shell? (the unit is NOT waterproof, so make sure it doesn't get rained on)

Mike
Thanks for the info mike. I’ll look in to it
Old 10-02-2022, 08:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Do you keep a cellular hotspot in your RV? We do. Each cellular hotspot has a unique cellular phone number. I keep that in my phone's Contacts because we all know that law enforcement can locate someone with just their cell number.

In addition, I use the Calyx Institute's Inseego M2000 hotspot. It has a GPS built in. Using their app I can see the location of my motorhome in the app.

Ray
I never thought of that. Tks. We do have a stealth portable wifi that works off 3G
Old 10-02-2022, 09:11 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood40 View Post
I never thought of that. Tks. We do have a stealth portable wifi that works off 3G

I hope it’s not working on 3G. All the cell networks are shutting down 3G service permanently within the next few months
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:10 AM   #12

GPS tracking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
I hope it’s not working on 3G. All the cell networks are shutting down 3G service permanently within the next few months
Tks for the info, I just checked and in Canada we have until Dec 2025

Tags
gps