Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2016, 06:49 PM   #1

Great long trip with 2016 Southwind

Summer trip CA to N/E to S/E and back: eight weeks, 18 states, 8400 RV miles while towing a jeep and Zero issues. Fuel answers: averaged 7.8 MPG with average speeds 60-65 MPH, the AC ran everyday, all day.
The RV handled well considering my front and rear do-it-yourself suspension upgrades purchased from Hendersons Lineup. I also had Sumo Springs installed (to the front only) halfway through the trip which added additional stability.
The house part of the Southwind 34A worked as promised no problems, period. Also the RV was tested by serious weather and passed.
We've owned four rvs, our last being a nice DP for 11 years. Comparing dollars to dollars, this Fleetwood Southwind 34A is a nice RV and well worth the purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4X4
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2016, 03:37 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Gary,
We also have a Southwind 2016 34A and just returned from a 1500 mile trip that went well. Ours seemed to handle well without any suspension upgrades. Can u tell us what product u used to upgrade? We seem to have to adjust steering as we drive and we know this is not a car but would like it to handle better. Still trying to find a way to help out with the large slide topper filling with water from the AC and rain. Any thoughts would be helpful. Also we were wondering if the seat belts were operating properly. We had to stop quickly but it seem to stop us from moving forward and I don't think we have any SRS air bags. Never thought of it. Do u have any concerns about this. Share your thoughts if you can as we are quite new to all of this. Thanks and safe travels to you and yours. Keith and Sharyn
Sharraz1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:41 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
But it didn't seem to stop us from moving forward or lock seat belt like our cars!!
Sharraz1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:44 PM   #4

Sharraz1212
To improve the RV handling I added:
FRONT- Safety-Plus-Steering stabilizer; Roadmaster FRONT anti-sway bar, FRONT Sumo shocks.

REAR- Roadmaster two anti-sway bars, one forward and one aft of the rear axle, and a REAR Track bar.

Very pleased with the handling of this gas powered RV. I would say to increase your driving pleasure and safety these suspensions additions are a must.

I have no seatbelt issues, both hold us in place during quick stops.
The lack of airbags is of some concern but most Class A RV don't have them.

Enjoy your RV.

I purchased all this through Hendersons Lineup in Grants Pass OR. John and Cindy in Parts were most helpful (888)-898-3281.

2000 Jeep Wrangler 4X4
Old 10-07-2016, 11:04 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On our long trips like that we used a credit card the entire time for everything.

That made it simple to figure our average cost per day for everything including fuel/RV parks/food/tours/gifts, etc.

We average about $100 per day.

I'm curious if any others keep track of their total expenses.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 04:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
On our long trips like that we used a credit card the entire time for everything.

That made it simple to figure our average cost per day for everything including fuel/RV parks/food/tours/gifts, etc.

We average about $100 per day.

I'm curious if any others keep track of their total expenses.
We did the first year we traveled. I thought it would be helpful, but in the end I keep a fuel log and find that to be the most help.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:59 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharraz1212 View Post
Thanks Gary,
We also have a Southwind 2016 34A and just returned from a 1500 mile trip that went well. Ours seemed to handle well without any suspension upgrades. Can u tell us what product u used to upgrade? We seem to have to adjust steering as we drive and we know this is not a car but would like it to handle better. Still trying to find a way to help out with the large slide topper filling with water from the AC and rain. Any thoughts would be helpful. Also we were wondering if the seat belts were operating properly. We had to stop quickly but it seem to stop us from moving forward and I don't think we have any SRS air bags. Never thought of it. Do u have any concerns about this. Share your thoughts if you can as we are quite new to all of this. Thanks and safe travels to you and yours. Keith and Sharyn
Regards the topper filling with water: Try placing medium sized beach balls under the topper in center. This prevents water from pooling. May have to use a broom handle to dislodge the balls before pulling slides. Hope this helps.
wayno347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:17 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
About draining the topper...we pull our slide in about halfway and then stop for a minute or less while the water drains off.

I'm too stupid to use a beachball as I know I'd forget it and then we'd have a REAL problem.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 04:01 PM   #9

YES, Arch has the right idea. After a good rain bring that slide in slow. All-in-all that Southwind is a nice RV for the money.
We spent about $100 a day on fuel, about $2600 for the trip. Much better way to travel as compared to planning stops and sleeping in motels and eating out every meal.
I did enjoy filling the fuel tank at $1.70-$2.05 a gallon compared to the $2.69 in this tax heavy CA.
Good conversation.

2000 Jeep Wrangler 4X4
Old 10-09-2016, 05:23 PM   #10

Glad to hear you had a great trip, we also couldn't be happier with our '16 34A! I just finished tucking our coach into bed for the next few months after travelling 8000 miles this year and no major issues.

Tags
southwind