Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Had a weird thing happened with MH 12 volt

Had a weird thing happen, had no power in the MH (12v) motor cranked and headlights and stuff worked.

Used a test light and the coach batteries seemed dead.

Plugged the MH in and everything worked.

Unplugged it and everything still works, and the battery status say they are all good.

Tested the coach batteries with the test light and it was still very weak (went across two 6 volt batteries to get 12 Volts for the test light). Test light was bright across the chassis batteries.

The batteries are all new Delco batteries.

Thoughts?
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2014, 08:15 PM   #2

My idea is you can't trust a test light. It just shows voltage or not. Not actual numbers. You need an actual volt meter for that.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:32 PM   #3
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
My idea is you can't trust a test light. It just shows voltage or not. Not actual numbers. You need an actual volt meter for that.
Actually I disagree with this, A volt meter uses no current and a dead battery can still read 12 v on a meter if there is no load on the battery, an incandescent bulb uses current and it it is dim indicates no current.

That really is not the point though, nothing worked inside the MH (v12), hooked up shore power and everything worked, removed the shore power and everything still worked and the battery status indicated the MH batteries were in good condition. The MH status checker would not even function before shore power was hooked up?????
Old 06-08-2014, 09:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
Actually I disagree with this, A volt meter uses no current and a dead battery can still read 12 v on a meter if there is no load on the battery, an incandescent bulb uses current and it it is dim indicates no current.

That really is not the point though, nothing worked inside the MH (v12), hooked up shore power and everything worked, removed the shore power and everything still worked and the battery status indicated the MH batteries were in good condition. The MH status checker would not even function before shore power was hooked up?????

you are right ...there are some good videos showing how to test a motors ECM this way and well only show the err if a test light is used
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:10 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It sounds to me like you have a loose or corroded connecton in the house battery area. Firing up the converter with shore power probably temporarily bridged the gap, but it will be back.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:20 AM   #6
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by loulong View Post
It sounds to me like you have a loose or corroded connecton in the house battery area. Firing up the converter with shore power probably temporarily bridged the gap, but it will be back.
New batteries were installed less than a year ago, all battery connections were cleaned at that time and all cables are in good condition.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:38 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
When you first had the problem the engine cranked and your headlights worked. That's because you were using current from the engine (cranking) battery). Stuff inside the MH didn't work because they were using the coach batteries. I think you understood that part.

There is switching that takes place when you charge from the coaches alternator and then switch to shore power. I have not seen the schematic for the switching that switching but I'd guess that's where the problem is.

It is my understanding that there are remotely operated switches called solenoids designed very much the same as a starter solenoids. They are a high current carrying switches that are operated by energizing (creating a magnetic) a coil of wire which in turn closes the switch and high current can then pass. These switches can and will over time deteriorate and become a high resistance connection which stops most if not all current flow.

When a starter solenoid fails in a cranking circuit we hear the solenoid click. Either the battery is weak and can't provide enough current or the current flow to crank the starter is blocked by the high resistance connection in the solenoid. Inside the solenoid is a copper clad washer that rotates. Over time the sparks created each time it is energized gradually wears the copper off the washer. Sometime it works and other times it won't because each time it's hitting a different spot to make a connection.

Since this is an intermittent electrical problem that's where I think I'd start my trouble shooting. You could locate the schematic and then the solenoids. They are not to expensive and could just be changed to see if that fixes your problem. They can be tested with a voltage drop test but that's another matter.

Please keep us advised as you get this issue resolved. We will all benefit.

Thanks,
TeJay
Old 06-09-2014, 10:54 AM   #8
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
When you first had the problem the engine cranked and your headlights worked. That's because you were using current from the engine (cranking) battery). Stuff inside the MH didn't work because they were using the coach batteries. I think you understood that part.

There is switching that takes place when you charge from the coaches alternator and then switch to shore power. I have not seen the schematic for the switching that switching but I'd guess that's where the problem is.

It is my understanding that there are remotely operated switches called solenoids designed very much the same as a starter solenoids. They are a high current carrying switches that are operated by energizing (creating a magnetic) a coil of wire which in turn closes the switch and high current can then pass. These switches can and will over time deteriorate and become a high resistance connection which stops most if not all current flow.

When a starter solenoid fails in a cranking circuit we hear the solenoid click. Either the battery is weak and can't provide enough current or the current flow to crank the starter is blocked by the high resistance connection in the solenoid. Inside the solenoid is a copper clad washer that rotates. Over time the sparks created each time it is energized gradually wears the copper off the washer. Sometime it works and other times it won't because each time it's hitting a different spot to make a connection.

Since this is an intermittent electrical problem that's where I think I'd start my trouble shooting. You could locate the schematic and then the solenoids. They are not to expensive and could just be changed to see if that fixes your problem. They can be tested with a voltage drop test but that's another matter.

Please keep us advised as you get this issue resolved. We will all benefit.

Thanks,
TeJay
Thanks, next chance I get I will check the solenoids
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 97 Dream - electrical basic.pdf (362.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: pdf Gillig Wring Prints dash.pdf (2.50 MB, 38 views)
Old 06-09-2014, 11:00 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll also add this regarding what "loulong" referred to in his post. Any large gauge wire carrying a lot of current if corroded will also limit the amount of current it can carry. Removing each connection at those solenoids or any of those heavy wire connections and brushing them with a wire brush to clean the corrosion is a must do.

What ever you do don't forget the ground connections. Ground connections have to carry the same amount of current as the hot ones do. They are JUST as important as the hot connections but often forgotten when servicing.

TeJay
Old 06-09-2014, 05:38 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Leave plugged in for 72 hours

Tags
12 volt