Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2018, 10:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
We have two magnum inverts. I would recomend them, we had an issue with one and it was 6 years old. They told me the likely cause, parts to replace, tools needed and how to go about it.

When I was done there was still a small issue, again a quick call and they knew that one wire was in the wrong outlet. 30 seconds to fix and it's like a new inverter.

I do value after sales support as much as quality.

The Freedom 458 was initially designed and sold by Heart Interface. They either merged or were acquired by Magnum.

The unit I have is actually labeled Magnum.

Magnum was either acquired or merged with Xantrex.

Xantrex was acquired by Schneider Electric in 2008.

Current production is sold under the Xantrex name which is owned by Schneider Electric.

Don't have a clue how current service is from the manufacturer, but they are a very popular unit and are still in production today.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2018, 12:06 PM   #16

Converter replacement

Yes I am thinking magnum ms3012m 3000v . I want to put a residential fridge in and generator start if shore power is lost. I will need all the instructions and maybe a electrical schematic if anyone might have one. Thanks John
Old 12-01-2018, 12:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Eagle View Post
Yes I am thinking magnum ms3012m 3000v . I want to put a residential fridge in and generator start if shore power is lost. I will need all the instructions and maybe a electrical schematic if anyone might have one. Thanks John
We have two, one for the fridge and one for the coach. The one for the fridge runs only that and can be fully shut off by pulling a tab, great for when it's in for service. The second I would assume would just be a replacement to the existing one.

As far for the auto generator that can be controlled by the inverter control but I would add the Onan controller.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:27 PM   #18

Converter replacement

Very interesting. Thanks
Old 12-02-2018, 05:19 AM   #19

American Coach Owners Club
How does he Xantrax/Magnum handle the charging of two battery banks?

thx Dale
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:05 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale70 View Post

thx Dale
They both offer seperate devices to charge two battery banks.

Most MHs already have a system to charge 2 battery banks, some are only one direction and others are bi-directional.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:11 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale70 View Post

thx Dale

That will be handled by your Battery Control Center regardless of what type or brand of inverter/converter is installed. This is standard on all American Coaches.

The BCC will use the converter output to charge your chassis battery as priority, once it is fully charged the BCC will direct the charging voltage to the house battery bank.

One very important point to consider which has not been mentioned in this discussion, if you upgrade to a larger inverter like American Eagle is considering (going from 2000 watts to 3000 watts), you will need to replace the present 2/0 cables running from the battery bank to the inverter to 4/0 cables in order to safely conduct the DC current from the battery bank.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:21 PM   #22

Converter replacement

Hi Dave I was bidding of the magnum 3000v inverter and lost it . I am open to any inverter/ converter and will have to lengthen the cables anyway as they just come through the floor long enough to connect to the source manager. Wish I could find a detailed wiring schematic for the heart source manager. Thanks John
Old 12-02-2018, 01:01 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I installed a Magnum MSH3012 Hybrid inverter in place of our older Trace-Xantrex inverter.
The MSH hybrid design uses a single 60 amp 110v input leg where as the other Magnum inverters use two 30 amp 110v leg inputs. Your old Trace inverter also uses two 110v legs so your install will be easier if you use a Magnum MS2012 or MS2812. If you have four 6v house batteries, then I would use the MS2012 and if you have 6 or more 6v house batteries then I would use the MS2812.

You can still install the MSH hybrid inverter, but it will require some circuit breaker rewiring inside the coach to balance the loads. The advantage to the MSH inverter is it can supplement an external 30 amp power to run A/C units. It also works well when supplementing a small Honda generator power input.

Link to detail install thread. This was in a Monaco, so much of it will not apply to your American Coach. We also have a separate auto power switching box that you will need to add.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/swap...re-386835.html
Hope this helps.
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:41 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
That will be handled by your Battery Control Center regardless of what type or brand of inverter/converter is installed. This is standard on all American Coaches.

The BCC will use the converter output to charge your chassis battery as priority, once it is fully charged the BCC will direct the charging voltage to the house battery bank.

One very important point to consider which has not been mentioned in this discussion, if you upgrade to a larger inverter like American Eagle is considering (going from 2000 watts to 3000 watts), you will need to replace the present 2/0 cables running from the battery bank to the inverter to 4/0 cables in order to safely conduct the DC current from the battery bank.
The converter or charger output is used to charge the HOUSE batteries.

IF you have a BCC with bi-directional charging, once the house batteries are at or above about 13.4 volts, it combines them with the chassis battery, charging all of them. Bi-directional charging is not on every MH.

Almost all have chassis to house BCC type combining systems that use the alternator to charge the house batteries.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 04:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The converter or charger output is used to charge the HOUSE batteries.

IF you have a BCC with bi-directional charging, once the house batteries are at or above about 13.4 volts, it combines them with the chassis battery, charging all of them. Bi-directional charging is not on every MH.

Almost all have chassis to house BCC type combining systems that use the alternator to charge the house batteries.

Here is a better explanation of charging priorities on American Coaches as my previous statement was not correct:

On the American Eagle, American Dream, and the American Tradition both the house batteries and the chassis batteries are charged no matter if on shore power, generator power or while driving. If on shore power or generator power the house batteries have priority and will be charged when ever required. When the House batteries are fully charged then the engine batteries will be charged if required. When driving the chassis batteries have priority and will be charged as needed. When the chassis batteries are fully charged then the house batteries will be charged if needed. This is all accomplished automatically. These coaches all have a inverter and a three stage battery charger.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:40 PM   #26

Converter replacementWou

Magnum MS2012 Would be a very good choice for me. I have been wondering about something else. I talked to kevin Mallory and He asked if I tried to run my generator which I just tried it and all I got was clicking. I run battery tenders on both house and chassis batteries. If they are very low amps on charge maybe that would cause my problem with the ATS switch. Just a thought. Thanks John
Old 12-15-2018, 01:26 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have a 2000 Eagle and have owned it since new. A lot of good information here so far. You might want to also consider air flow. My old Source manager was under the bed and had a single vent. While this did allow air out there was no way for air to get in. I installed a matching vent on the opposite side under the bed. Since installation depending on conditions, we have both noticed warm air flowing from the old vent. Before doing this, heard the fan running but never felt a breeze.

Lack of ventilation, probably created some pretty high temps and may have contributed to the Source Manager failure. If you read the installation manual many companies specifically say not to install inverter under bed. Have new inverter in place for several years now without problems.
mg2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 02:23 PM   #28

Hello I am in need of batteries and will be replacing them first. My generator won't start so I am starting with them. Then will be going into the inverter and ats with cooling fans on bother sides.
Also there is a large vent under the source manager that could be used. Did you you replace your source manager? and if so do you have and schematic of the process and pictures? Thanks John

Tags
inverter