Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2018, 05:53 AM   #1

Have a inverter question American Eagle

Can you guys tell me what the best inverter /charger to use. I have a old Heart Interface Source Manager 20 in a 1999 american eagle. I want to upgrade and was looking for a Magnum Energy MSH3012M Inverter Charger, 125A, 3000W, 120VAC*. Want to know if I can run 50 shore power to this unit. 220 volt. I run 4 6 volt deep cell batteries so I need to be able to charge these. Thanks for your time. John
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2018, 09:20 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You would hook it to one leg of the 50A/240v shore source, so it gets 50A @ 120v. Ditto for the genset side - 120v only.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:24 AM   #3

What Gary says and yes it will work just fine for 50 amp service.

As you now have found out that your unit is actually a Source Manager (exclusively designed for American Coach), that unit also has your Automatic Transfer Switch as an integral part of the unit.

Looking at the Magnum you are considering, it may require that you install a separate ATS as your present ATS will be removed when you remove the Source Manager.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:20 AM   #4

Hello What would be a good replacement unit. Thanks
Old 11-23-2018, 09:04 AM   #5

You might want to call these guys. Inverterservicecenter.com. (615) 285-0611. They replaced my original inverter in my 2002 Eagle. Very knowledgeable people.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:40 AM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
I think the Source manager also have the 110-12V battery charger in it as well.
That also switches between chassis and house batteries at a certain voltage.

Kevin Mallory at 419-852-0791, designed the Source Manager while at Fleetwood, and can make a replacement which has all the required features.
I have not talked to him in about two years though.

I still have a working Source Manager in my Eagle.

thx Dale
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:11 PM   #7

Thanks will try and call him first of next week. If I can find out what is going with my setup without changing I would do that. John
Old 11-30-2018, 06:19 AM   #8

Converter replacement

Hello Everyone I did call kevin first of the week and He is very knowledgeable. I want to go that way but I seen a converter that is new and am wondering if anyone has install it. 815-3012. Xantrex Freedom Inverter/Charger - 3000W.
It has a built in ats that I like.
I guess I would like to talk to anyone that has done a replacement of the heart source manager 20 in their coach. Thanks John
Old 11-30-2018, 06:56 AM   #9

I am going to replace my Source Manager 20 with the Xantrex 458 Freedom inverter/charger which has been delivered to me.

My mobile RV tech has advised that I will need a separate 50 amp transfer switch in addition to the Xantrex unit to replace all of the functions of the Source Manager 20.

He tells me that the transfer switch within the Xantrex unit is internal, i.e. it will only switch between the shore power source (or generator sourced) for 120 VAC and the battery bank power source for the inverter function.

He tells me that it will not perform the switching required from shore power to generator power like the Source Manager 20 does.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-30-2018, 04:51 PM   #10

Converter replacement

Thanks I am going to kevin with the converter change. Will wait until the weather is like in spring mode as we in winter here in Nebraska. John
Old 12-01-2018, 05:37 AM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
FormerBoater --- Would you go over what you are installing, how it will cover the situations we need, and if you would consent- the rough cost of the components?

Please let us all know how these conversions go.
I am interested as I do have the original Source Manager which is, of course, getting up there in age.

thanks --- Dale
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 07:12 AM   #12

Converter replacement

I will when it starts. It would be until spring maybe march. Thanks John
Old 12-01-2018, 09:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale70 View Post
FormerBoater --- Would you go over what you are installing, how it will cover the situations we need, and if you would consent- the rough cost of the components?

Please let us all know how these conversions go.
I am interested as I do have the original Source Manager which is, of course, getting up there in age.

thanks --- Dale

Hi Dale, I had the Xantrex 458 model 81-2022-12 gifted to me from an IT professional who needed a pure sine wave inverter for his electronics and residential fridge.

This is a modified sine wave inverter like the Source Manager 20 that our coaches have and has the same 2000 watt output as the Source Manager.

The remote is the same cut-out as the Source Manager and the telephone plug and cable does not have to be replaced when you remove the Source Manager i.e. you use the existing cable.

The Xantrex 458 gives you 3 stage charging in the converter function..just like the Source Manager.

What it does not give you is the Automatic Transfer Switch to source the 120 VAC from the shore power or the genny.

So, you need a 50 Amp Transfer switch like this:

Parallax ATS503 50 Amp Transfer Switch

Here is the website for the 458:
Inverter Charger | Freedom 458 Inverter/Charger | Xantrex

The Xantrex can be found on Amazon for around $1000 and the transfer switch is available at $199.

The remote for the Xantrex is another $125 or so.

Should be less than 2 hours of replace and install time per my mobile RV tech.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-01-2018, 10:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Eagle View Post
Can you guys tell me what the best inverter /charger to use. I have a old Heart Interface Source Manager 20 in a 1999 american eagle. I want to upgrade and was looking for a Magnum Energy MSH3012M Inverter Charger, 125A, 3000W, 120VAC*. Want to know if I can run 50 shore power to this unit. 220 volt. I run 4 6 volt deep cell batteries so I need to be able to charge these. Thanks for your time. John
We have two magnum inverts. I would recomend them, we had an issue with one and it was 6 years old. They told me the likely cause, parts to replace, tools needed and how to go about it.

When I was done there was still a small issue, again a quick call and they knew that one wire was in the wrong outlet. 30 seconds to fix and it's like a new inverter.

I do value after sales support as much as quality.

Tags
inverter