Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #1

Having to drive to Decatur, IN for service

Hi All,

This is my first post on this forum, a great place to read up on Fleetwood info BTW!

I had my 2009 Fleetwood Bounder into my local Camping World today to have the Norcold recall completed. We noticed a crack in the fiberglass exterior near the bedroom slide, so the CW rep called Fleetwood about it. They advised I would have to drive my MH to Decatur, IN to have a potential frame weld inside the wall repaired, then of course the fiberglass itself repaired. They would do this at no charge (less $700 fuel cost out of my pocket driving from western IA.) I guess I will be getting this done, maybe when fuel prices settle down a bit. My ultimate question here is would I be safe to delay this fix, and use the MH for local camping trips with the broken weld, or am i asking for trouble doing that? My common sense says get it fixed ASAP?? Looking for any input on this question, and any experiences in drving to IN for Fleetwood factory repairs.

Thanks, JANSTEY
janstey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janstey View Post
Hi All,

This is my first post on this forum, a great place to read up on Fleetwood info BTW!

I had my 2009 Fleetwood Bounder into my local Camping World today to have the Norcold recall completed. We noticed a crack in the fiberglass exterior near the bedroom slide, so the CW rep called Fleetwood about it. They advised I would have to drive my MH to Decatur, IN to have a potential frame weld inside the wall repaired, then of course the fiberglass itself repaired. They would do this at no charge (less $700 fuel cost out of my pocket driving from western IA.) I guess I will be getting this done, maybe when fuel prices settle down a bit. My ultimate question here is would I be safe to delay this fix, and use the MH for local camping trips with the broken weld, or am i asking for trouble doing that? My common sense says get it fixed ASAP?? Looking for any input on this question, and any experiences in drving to IN for Fleetwood factory repairs.

Thanks, JANSTEY
Hi Jeff and welcome to IRV2.

If you could post a photo, it would be helpful. I had the same happen to my 08 35E and it was just cosmetic and fixed quite easily.

I could post a photo of mine but it will be about a week till I get to where it is. I don't think it is structural , as Lazy Days had fixed a few before mine and it was only a gel coat ( minor) crack.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #3

I will post a picture when I get the MH back from CW later this week. I was actually just hoping it was a gel coat crack, but my CW rep believes otherwise. Thanks for the info Cliff.
janstey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janstey View Post
I will post a picture when I get the MH back from CW later this week. I was actually just hoping it was a gel coat crack, but my CW rep believes otherwise. Thanks for the info Cliff.
If you can zoom in on this photo, you'll see how they repaired it after they sealed the crack underneath .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	michigan 2009 #2a 494.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	8711  

Old 03-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall View Post
If you can zoom in on this photo, you'll see how they repaired it after they sealed the crack underneath .
I guess you can't zoom in. Send me a PM with you email address and I'll email it to you and maybe you can zoom in on it.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #6

I would ask Fleetwood if they would still honor the free fix if it got worse with more use.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:23 AM   #7

JANSTEY,

Fuel isn't going to get any cheaper any time soon. Make a trip out of it while the offer is on the table. We spent several days there in early May last year, they have 50 amp hookups in the lot, water and dump stations are also available.

Have you seen much of eastern IA? Took us a week to get from Decatur IN over to Muscatine IA. We then took our time following the MS river north, lots of nice COE and county park CG's along the way. Plus all those beautiful river towns and the Quad Cities. We cut back into WI in Dubuque. We really enjoyed following the river and have decided that we are going to do the Great River Road one of these years.

Bob