Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Heat PUMP?

Saw another thread on heat pump output temps and caused me to think of a question for you. Didn't want to hijack the thread.

Does my 03 American Eagle with three roof mount units have one or more heat pumps? Or, are they all A/C units?

I know we have a furnace.

Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2012, 05:29 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hello, when you go to your tempature controller does it have "heat pump" modes for all of your zones?
Old 11-24-2012, 08:12 AM   #3

On my temp controller, it shows AC, electric heat, gas heat and off for each zone. Have 2 rooftops units. This should tell you if you have have heat pumps. (electric heat),
dls461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
rhm

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by dls461 View Post
On my temp controller, it shows AC, electric heat, gas heat and off for each zone. Have 2 rooftops units. This should tell you if you have have heat pumps. (electric heat),
My '04 Fleetwood has an electric heat setting on the controller as well, but I've never been able to get heat out of the rooftop units. The fans come on, but don't seem to blow any heat.
rhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Thermostat would definitely have a setting to switch to 'Heat Pump' mode if so equipped. If you have electric heat and no heat on that setting, you need to check circuit breakers and make sure power is routed to the heat coils. Electric heat elements could be in overhead A/C or in with gas furnace fan underneath. If you get no heat when switched to that mode, then most likely coils are burned out or bad connection somewhere. Also, possibly your thermostat came configured to control electric heat but it was never installed. Check circuit breaker box and see if you have a circuit for electric heat, there should be a CB for it if equipped.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I don't have an AC, but do have a FW (Bounder). My controller looks like the one below. It has an ELEC HEAT setting for each zone - 1 for each rooftop unit. If your controller is the same or similar, then you also have heat from each unit.

Lori-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010042 - Copy (2).JPG
Views:	77
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	29529  
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
When using the heat pumps for heat, it takes a few minutes for them to blow hot air because it takes a while for the pumps to extract heat from the intake air. So, try leaving it on the heat pump or electric heat setting for at least 5 minutes and see if you don't get heat.
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Ditto what rdownard posted. It takes a while for heat to get through the ductwork as well. Plus, it's not as hot coming out of the vents as the propane heat. Same as electric heat vs gas heat in a S/B home.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

The 2003 American Eagle brochure refers to them all as "air conditioners" in both the 40 and 42 foot models. It should say "w/heat pump" if they had them (or at least that's what the 2004 brochures show when equipped with them). All the '04 American Coach models have heat pumps, but it appears the 03's did not.

In the newer models with three roof units, two are heat pumps and one is a/c only.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:21 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdownward View Post
When using the heat pumps for heat, it takes a few minutes for them to blow hot air because it takes a while for the pumps to extract heat from the intake air.
It will never blow "hot" air - but after a few minutes the output air should be warmer than the room air. Unless it's less than about 45 degrees outside - heat pumps don't work too well when it's that cold outside.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:45 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
I don't have an AC, but do have a FW (Bounder). My controller looks like the one below. It has an ELEC HEAT setting for each zone - 1 for each rooftop unit. If your controller is the same or similar, then you also have heat from each unit.

Lori-
Which is not the same as a heat pump. You will have heat strips in the air con. plenum. Not near as efficient as a heat pump either.
Air coming from a heat pump will usually not feel warm to a human, the air temp is about the same as body temperature. You have to get used to it feeling cool when you feel it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:48 AM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The 2003 American Eagle brochure refers to them all as "air conditioners" in both the 40 and 42 foot models. It should say "w/heat pump" if they had them (or at least that's what the 2004 brochures show when equipped with them). All the '04 American Coach models have heat pumps, but it appears the 03's did not.

In the newer models with three roof units, two are heat pumps and one is a/c only.
Actually the use of "w/heat pump" is incorrect. The term "heat pump" means it has both heating and cooling.
Have had heat pumps in stick houses for over 20 years in this house and others before that.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:50 AM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
It will never blow "hot" air - but after a few minutes the output air should be warmer than the room air. Unless it's less than about 45 degrees outside - heat pumps don't work too well when it's that cold outside.
Heat pumps usually have a set change over to another heating source. In our MH that's the furnace, in the stick house it's natural gas. Heat pumps work fine till about 38° in my experience.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:02 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post

Thanks Gary,

NLOVNIT has a controller that looks just like ours. And we have a propane powered furnace. So, I'm off the opinion we do not have heat pump(s) too. Weather is getting cold enough to experiment with the units to see if strip heat comes from them. But, when we are on the "Heat" setting the furnace comes on.

Dave