Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2021, 10:36 AM   #1

HELP!! 2003 Fleetwood Discovery Air Suspension lost air, won't air up.

2003 Fleetwood Discovery Air Suspension lost air, won't air up.

On the way to the drag race we are currently sitting at in Dunn, NC, my friends air ride suspension lost air about 30min out from track - while in motion, riding on leaf springs...pretty much low riding rough ride.

Trying to either air up the suspension/bags by bypassing whatever is inop or repair here at track, we have tools, we have connectors and we have hose.

Air system as far as brakes and tanks air up, there is air at both front and rear suspension control valves, we can manually air up bags.

Have tried 'cycling' the leveler system many times, having levelers up, system aired up and putting the coach in drive to force air to bags and suspension - still no joy.

So we're at an impass - no way both front and rear control valves went bad at the same time. Has to be some common soleniod or stuck dump valve or something?

There is air at the control valves and front and rear air gauges on the dash are showing above 100psi.

Basically stuck 2hrs from home base at the track until we either fix or find a workaround.

HELP...lol
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2021, 11:17 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerA View Post
2003 Fleetwood Discovery Air Suspension lost air, won't air up.

On the way to the drag race we are currently sitting at in Dunn, NC, my friends air ride suspension lost air about 30min out from track - while in motion, riding on leaf springs...pretty much low riding rough ride.

Trying to either air up the suspension/bags by bypassing whatever is inop or repair here at track, we have tools, we have connectors and we have hose.

Air system as far as brakes and tanks air up, there is air at both front and rear suspension control valves, we can manually air up bags.

Have tried 'cycling' the leveler system many times, having levelers up, system aired up and putting the coach in drive to force air to bags and suspension - still no joy.

So we're at an impass - no way both front and rear control valves went bad at the same time. Has to be some common soleniod or stuck dump valve or something?

There is air at the control valves and front and rear air gauges on the dash are showing above 100psi.

Basically stuck 2hrs from home base at the track until we either fix or find a workaround.

HELP...lol
Try turning your leveling control on and raising the front end enough to put weight on the jack then sore the jack back until your leveling control goes off then see if your coach airs up This works on my 2001 Tradition .
red raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 11:20 AM   #3

Sorry !! Guess you are home by now !!Didn't notice that this post was from 2012.
red raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 11:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by red raby View Post
Sorry !! Guess you are home by now !!Didn't notice that this post was from 2012.
Post is from today 10-03-2021

Cycling levelers doesn't seem to work, we've done that multiple times.

Common issue seems to be a 1/4" blue line that comes off top of front of left air tank underneath. It's like the tank has a small separate section in the front and there is no air in it? The two blue air lines feed the air suspension controls on each wheel and also the air bags.

So whatever gives those blue feed lines air is not working as there is no air on them.
Old 10-03-2021, 12:06 PM   #5

To note, the system airs up fully, just no air to the bags unless we bypass by putting air to the bags directly using the yellow hose, a tee then connecting/applying air to both the white and blue lines on the front suspension valves.

There's something common to front and rear air supply that we are missing here...as both air pressure gauges on the dash are showing sufficient air pressure.

When operating the "Manual/Auto" dump valve 'switch' on the dash, it sounds like it 'dumps' in manual, but when moved over to "auto" doesn't seem to do anything? And putting it in auto should air up the bags. I have the same MH as he does and it operates in this manner.

Be soooooo nice if we could come up with a diagram we could actually use to troubleshoot off of....OY!
Old 10-03-2021, 03:15 PM   #6

I have a pdf file of the air system on my 08 at home on my laptop. Unfortunately, I'm at work until 6:00. I can try and put it on here when I get home if you still need it and it may be similar. Hopefully, you've already found a solution.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:00 AM   #7

Got It!!

Actually we ended up having a fellow drag racer stop by the track that is a mobile truck mechanic. He found a small cut in one air bag that was the culprit!! One little leak makes the entire system inop. So they bypassed the one bag in the back and he'll limp it home to fix it there.

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2021, 12:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerA View Post
Actually we ended up having a fellow drag racer stop by the track that is a mobile truck mechanic. He found a small cut in one air bag that was the culprit!! One little leak makes the entire system inop. So they bypassed the one bag in the back and he'll limp it home to fix it there.

Thanks!

Glad they can limp home, for those reading this air bags are one of those things that need checking mine is a 2007 and rears where shot.
Old 10-05-2021, 12:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Glad they can limp home, for those reading this air bags are one of those things that need checking mine is a 2007 and rears where shot.
Dan's rig is actually a Canadian model which is a 2003/06 unit with over 304k kilometers on it. It's in pretty rough shape as it has not been taken care of very well. Our rigs are very similar as mine is a 2004 Discovery with a slightly different floor plan and 4 slides vs 3 on his, but I only have 91k miles on mine and it's pretty much pristine with slight/normal wear. I doubt my airbags have been replaced [I'm the second owner and purchased with 51k miles on it in 2016]. And I'm pretty anal retentive/ocd about mine...lol I would say I experience 'normal' issues for a motorhome.
Old 10-12-2021, 03:21 PM   #10

Dawn.... Dawn dish soap and water in a spray bottle. Even better... a garden sprayer that you pressurize and have constant spray. Best tool for air systems. It will find 90% of problems. Especially if your hearing is as bad as mine.
I would also recommend to any DIYer adding ,to each individual air bag, a cut off valve (to separate from the system) and a schrader valve to fill it. Worst case scenario you can fill them with a tire pump.
895Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, cover, discovery, fleetwood, suspension