Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2014, 10:27 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Have you checked the trip switches in your inverter??? One or both of them can kick off the power to your gfi's
GlenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2014, 10:34 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tom, take you plug back out of the wall/box.
Turn off power to the plug via the breaker.
Take the wires out of the back of the GFI plug. You should have at least 2 pairs of wires coming into that plug, maybe more, but they should be in pairs.
Take each pair and separate them apart. Put wire nuts on each exposed wire so you don't accidentally touch them or bump into them.
You need to determine which pair is the supply side wires, this may be difficult to tell just by looking at them, but then again may be fairly obvious.
With the wire nuts in place, turn back on your power.
Take your volt meter and start testing the wires, one pair should have power, that will be your supply pair of wires.
IF you have power at a pair of wires at the back of the plug, then you know your problem is there at the plug.
IF you find that you do not have power at any of the pairs, the problem is at your breaker. There is a remote possibility that the problem is between your breaker and your plug, but doubtful if it work previously.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:34 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenB View Post
Have you checked the trip switches in your inverter??? One or both of them can kick off the power to your gfi's

Exactly! Look at the side or end of your inverter and you will see one or two (maybe even three) push button type of circuit breakers. One of them is tripped. Push it in to reset.

Can't believe no one prior to Glen's reply has suggested this. This is probably the #1 solution when the loss of AC at some, but not all, outlets.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:47 AM   #18

I'd measure the voltage supplied to the GFI. If you have two wires going to it then it is a stand alone. If there are 4 wires going to it then it is controlling itself and any other outlets down stream from it.

If you do not have power to the GFI then back track to the source and look for voltage.

Does it work when AC is plugged in? If it does start at the transfer switch.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #19

I put a tester on the wires , it indicates power is off the that plug, what now?

Tom

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2007 Fleetwood Providence 40X
OurBigRVAdventure.com
Tom222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:59 AM   #20

I'll throw this in , a friend with a similar problem , the fridge 110 outlet was daisy chained to the bathroom GFI. The ice maker was supplied 110 power and because the freezer need defrosting the ice was triggering the GFI to trip. Not sure if your rig is similar just thought I'd throw it in.

EDIT: OK , not useful , glad your fixed.
Note : iRV2 , accepts pay pal payments . lol
Old 05-16-2014, 11:01 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Exactly! Look at the side or end of your inverter and you will see one or two (maybe even three) push button type of circuit breakers. One of them is tripped. Push it in to reset.

Can't believe no one prior to Glen's reply has suggested this. This is probably the #1 solution when the loss of AC at some, but not all, outlets.

Ron

Where do I send the repair bill money to, you guys solved my problem! The inverter had a circuit breaker tripped, I can't say thank you enough!

Tom

OurBigRVAdventure.com
Old 05-16-2014, 11:02 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you do not have power at the back of the plug when the breaker is on, then your problem is at the breaker.
Go to that particular breaker in your panel and pull it out. This is usually done by pulling/prying on one side or the other. Breakers have little hook/heal on one side and slide in freely on the other, you want to pull it out on the side that does not have the hook/heal.
Once you get that breaker out, set it off to one side. Then pull out another breaker that is similar, for example if you pulled out a 20amp, try to pull out another 20amp breaker.
Take the second breaker you pulled out and stick it into the breaker slot that you are having the problem.
Turn on the new breaker you just stuck into the slot.
Go back to the plug and test the wires for power.
IF you have power with the new breaker in place, you have a bad breaker.
IF you still do not have power, you need to work backwards from the breaker to where your power feeds in from, most likely the inverter.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:03 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
LOL Gratz!
Old 05-16-2014, 11:42 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
LOL Gratz!

The only problem is that the wires and the thickness of the walls makes it impossible for me to get the plug flush against the wall. I push against the plug with all I got and I am no little guy. You can see that the pervious owner put a wider flange on the plug. Any ideas?

TomClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1400261942.575990.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	467.3 KB
ID:	63052

OurBigRVAdventure.com
Old 05-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #25

The extension around the GFI , would be factory installed to allow for the increased size. Yes they can be a bear to get back in . remember to power down the coach while your playing with it.

I had to arrange the wiring alongside the GFI with needle nose pliers while playing with mine.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:20 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom222 View Post
I put a tester on the wires , it indicates power is off the that plug, what now?

Tom

OurBigRVAdventure.com
Tom

As I noted earlier, it was best to isolate the problem as a first step. I.e: check input power to the plug. Now trace that back to the breaker panel to see where you have power. The answer will become apparent when you discover where you have power and where you don't.

Good luck.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom222 View Post
Ok, replaced the GFI and this one is not working either, so the problem is at that plug, right?
Now what is there a location that controls that plug?
Also I went ahead and replaced all the fuses that control the inside area.
Help...
Tom
Tom
Perhaps not.
"Fuses" are usually only for things using 12VDC.
"Circuit breakers" usually protect everything 120VAC, (which includes any/all GFCI receptacle).

If none of the "circuit beakers" in your electrical panel are tripped, check for one, (or more), "pop-out circuit breakers" on the inverter itself.
Mine has 2 on the face, if one is tripped/popped, 1/2 of the 120VAC in my coach goes dead....(pushing a tripped/popped in resets it, restoring the 120VAC).
As Libero said, "a GFI plug will reset without power on it".

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:32 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are you getting power to the GFI? Use a circuit tester to check.
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical