Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2022, 08:04 AM   #1

Help I need air pressure information

Hello I bought a american eagle and need to know what pressures to put the tires. It is a 42 foot with tag axle. 295 80 22.5 tire size. I know I need to weight the coach but I am on the road and need info
Thanks John
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2022, 08:07 AM   #2

There should be a label inside the coach somewhere. Sometimes on a wall near the driver seat, sometimes on a wall near the entry door, sometimes an a label in a closet. Usually the VIN label.
Old 07-10-2022, 10:38 AM   #3

I have found that after weighing a motor home the pressures listed on the label are too low. Suggest that you use the DOT pressure listed on tire’s sidewalk. Probably will result in a hard ride, but rather be safe than sorry. After weighing, you can then adjust to the recommendation based in the tire table.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 11:03 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
How To Weigh | CAT Scale easy way to weigh... you can get split the rear with drive axle on pad 2 and tag on pad 3 and still get accurate weights. $12 and the print out will show you axle weights for each one. divide by two and then look at tire chart for correct weight.

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire...n-loading.aspx Tire inflation chart, Only putting GY here because they have the easiest to read charts. All manufs are within a few # of each other. Be sure you have Load range H tires and are looking at that line for pressures. Never less than 90# in tags for your tire size.

BEFORE you get a a bunch of other info about this let me say...THIS IS A STARTING POINT... Ideally you should get a wheel by wheel weight done at least once to see if the coach is pretty well balanced side to side. Most air ride coaches will be within several hundred pounds, so the above weights will get you going safely. The VIN label will give you MAX weight for each axle. Actual tire pressures are determined by the tire builder based on weight to be carried which can only be determined by hitting a scale. Tire pressure set at normal air temp (cold) pressure. Buy a good truck tire guage about $25 with a straight foot while at the truck stop too 150# range.

Hard to drive more than a couple of hundred miles anywhere without going by a CAT scale. Why avoid this simple step? Body damage from a blowout will be in the thousands of $$ and maybe loss of coach and injuries. 30 minutes max for safety for you and other motorists.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 11:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Eagle View Post
Hello I bought a american eagle and need to know what pressures to put the tires. It is a 42 foot with tag axle. 295 80 22.5 tire size. I know I need to weight the coach but I am on the road and need info

Thanks John

Just a guess 95 rears and 115 fronts it should be on sticker on wall beside drivers seat.
Old 07-10-2022, 11:36 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Use the placard recommended psi unless and until you have scaled weights to justify something different. American Coach recommended tire pressures are adequate for a fully loaded coach (axles at their max rated loads).

Then find an inflation table for your brand & size of tire and get the coach weighed. That will give you the minimum pressure for the actual weight on the tires. If you can only get axle weights from the scale, you can estimate that each tire on the axle (two or four) carries a little more than its fair share of the axle load, e.g. 55% of the total on a two-tire axle. That's because most coaches are a bit heavier on one side or the other and you never want the psi to be low. Better to over-estimate than under.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 11:38 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I used to have a 43’ DS with the same size tires you have. I ran 95 in rears and tag and 110 in front. This should be close enough for you until you get it weighed.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 12:10 PM   #8

Help I need air pressure information

You are "on the road" as you said, so that is where you will weigh it at a Cat Scale.

Its easy cheap and nothing to be afraid or intimidated by.

First make sure you have a full tank of gas and that your water and grey and black tanks are at the levels you want them weighed at. Normally I would say fresh water at half or 3/4... Whatever you normally drive down the road with.

When you weigh your coach, you want it at your heaviest, normal situation driving down the road.

Step one - find a truck stop with a Cat Scale and if its empty just drive on it.

Step two - IMPORTANT... make sure each of your three axels are on a separate scale (square) on the platform.

Step three - walk into the entrance by the semi-trucks fueling area and tell the attendant at the register you "want to weigh your RV on the Cat Scale"
they will say "drive on"
You say.... "I did, and I'm on the scale right now"

At this point you can either pay before you drive off the scale OR drive off and park then come back in pay and get your print out. (mine was $13 just weeks ago)

Either way you do it, you can't get your weight printout till your coach is off the scales.

Bingo!!! less than 10 min and you have all the info you need!

Really its that easy and then follow the steps for your tire size and brand on their website. Based on your weight always go one tier above your listed weight so if your weight on your front axle is 13000 lbs, divide it in half ... so 6500lbs then if tire pressure by the manufacturer is listed like this....

***EXAMPLE ONLY****

6300 lbs at 100 PSI
6450 lbs at 105 PSI
6600 lbs at 110 PSI
6750 lbs at 115 PSI

You should choose the 6600 at 110 because it is the one over your actual weight.

Hope this helps!!!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4497.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	453.1 KB
ID:	370651Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4498.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	660.7 KB
ID:	370652
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 12:18 PM   #9
Community Moderator

The above info really good. The only point I would add is to get this app on your phone before you go……makes it REALLY easy. With the app you don’t need to get out of the driver’s seat ever. Click a button on your phone once you are on the scale, and BOOM you are done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4307.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	370653
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 01:11 PM   #10

Don't pay any attention to the sticker on the wall behind the driver with pressures on it. It was only valid for the tires on the vehicle at time of sale.

All tires are different and all large truck tires have their own load/psi chart. Get it weighed and get the chart for your tires.

Then figure out what kind of compressor you need to put out 85-125 psi. Then figure out what kind of chucks you need.

Oh...and then get a tire pressure monitor.

-E
Old 07-10-2022, 01:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEvi View Post
Don't pay any attention to the sticker on the wall behind the driver with pressures on it. It was only valid for the tires on the vehicle at time of sale.

All tires are different and all large truck tires have their own load/psi chart. Get it weighed and get the chart for your tires.

Then figure out what kind of compressor you need to put out 85-125 psi. Then figure out what kind of chucks you need.

Oh...and then get a tire pressure monitor.

-E

I'll state that a little differently:

If the current tires are the same size and load range as listed on the GVWR plaque, the inflation information on the plaque is a good "until weighted" start.

Totally agree, if different size or load range, the GVWR plaque is not relevant.

The inflation information on the GVWR plaque is for each axle loaded to GAWR. Agree, if an axle is overloaded, the plaque inflation recommendation is not adequate.
Old 07-19-2022, 01:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Eagle View Post
Thanks John
I have a 2005 American Eagle. Fully loaded weight is 39,000. Front Axel and drive axel is 100 psi. Tag Axle is 90 psi.
Maineiac54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 10:45 AM   #13

Usually around 80ibs per tire. If you look at specs that should be on the inside of one of your closet doors you should find all the specs for your vehicle.
Rayisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 12:30 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
For a 42' coach with a tag and 295 tires, your front axle is probably 14,600...which means for that weight you'll need 110, probably more. You need a TP chart for your brand tires.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, pressure