Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Help Needed on Mattress Thickness

Our mattress in our Bounder is horrible and we want to replace it with a foam mattress. The problem I have is that the MH is at the dealer, next state over, getting some work done so I can't go and measure the thickness/depth/height. I know it's a full queen, just don't know the height. Our mattress barely fits under the bedroom closet/shelves when the slide is in so I want to make sure I don't buy one that is to thick. I called Fleetwood and they only knew it was a full queen. I know there are a few on here with a 2014 35k so was hoping you might know.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2014, 02:52 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I will measure mine tonight when I get home and get back with you. I wont be home until 1030 central time. I thought for a MH mattress that it was rather good. Compared to are last coach its magnificent. Im not wondering however if after a few short weeks it wont end up flat as a pancake. Why do you find it so bad?
Old 03-28-2014, 03:00 PM   #3

I highly recommend a memory foam mattress. Get one that is as thick as you have room for. You can cut trim them to length or width needed. Good deals can be found at Sam's and Costco. I have had two over the years (one went with rig when sold it) and they have increased our quality of life tremendously. We have had 10 and 12" thickness with cool foam on top layer.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:08 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
Our mattress in our Bounder is horrible and we want to replace it with a foam mattress. The problem I have is that the MH is at the dealer, next state over, getting some work done so I can't go and measure the thickness/depth/height. I know it's a full queen, just don't know the height. Our mattress barely fits under the bedroom closet/shelves when the slide is in so I want to make sure I don't buy one that is to thick. I called Fleetwood and they only knew it was a full queen. I know there are a few on here with a 2014 35k so was hoping you might know.
We replaced our king-size Bounder mattress with an 8" memory foam. It's a little tall, but about the same height as the OEM mattress. The foam will compact and slide under the wardrobe with no problem. I would not buy taller than 8" thick.

ETA--this is the mattress we bought, except in king size. http://www.amazon.com/Serenia-Sleep-...ds=rv+mattress

It is a FIRM mattress, but very comfortable. We bought ours last June and have had no regrets. (Getting the old one out the door was pretty humorous. )

Oh, and this is the wardrobe setup in our 2012...I think it's the same.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:48 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mojoracing,

Let me start off by saying thanks. If you don't feel like doing it tonight no big deal. I am a big guy, 6' 7" and 250lbs, so a regular spring mattress usually doesn't work for me to well. With that being said this is the worst mattress in our 3 MH's. I can feel the springs in my back and me and the wife roll to the middle like we are going down hill due to no support. We tried a foam topper and it helped with the springs but not the support.

Gruelens,

Spent today looking at memory foam. Not a big fan of them, but the wife gets what she wants. The foam topper we got felt like a sauna it retained so much heat. The ones I looked at today are gel infused and have something called outlast applied to them to prevent the heat problem..........supposedly.

Sarah,

I am hoping I have more than 8" as the one I like the most is 11". I definitely don't want to go thicker than the current one as with my luck the foam would compress then spring back up and tear out the cabinets, ha ha. The lady today at the store told me they could take the foam mattress out of the box and let it decompress before I pick it up, but I told her no way as I am already thinking that getting my current mattress out might get me on America's Funniest Videos.

Thank you everyone for the replies and advice, I really appreciate it.

Brian
Old 03-28-2014, 05:16 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Sarah,

I am hoping I have more than 8" as the one I like the most is 11". I definitely don't want to go thicker than the current one as with my luck the foam would compress then spring back up and tear out the cabinets, ha ha. The lady today at the store told me they could take the foam mattress out of the box and let it decompress before I pick it up, but I told her no way as I am already thinking that getting my current mattress out might get me on America's Funniest Videos.

Thank you everyone for the replies and advice, I really appreciate it.

Brian
Brian--if your wardrobe cabinets are similar to ours in the photo above, you will not be able to use an 11" mattress. I thought an 8" foam would be cheesy, but it's surprisingly comfy and IMO a HUGE improvement over the one that came in the Bounder. Of course, it's a very firm mattress.

Oh...and I'd recommend definitely NOT taking the mattress out of the packing until it is in the RV. It is MUCH easier to move and position while still compressed.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Brian--if your wardrobe cabinets are similar to ours in the photo above, you will not be able to use an 11" mattress. I thought an 8" foam would be cheesy, but it's surprisingly comfy and IMO a HUGE improvement over the one that came in the Bounder. Of course, it's a very firm mattress. Oh...and I'd recommend definitely NOT taking the mattress out of the packing until it is in the RV. It is MUCH easier to move and position while still compressed.
Looking at the picture you posted and it looks identical. Maybe our bed frame is lower, the floor is lower, anything because I realllllly liked the 11" one. If I am limited to 8" then it's back to the stores. I am hesitant to buy a mattress off the internet unless I can find a store that has one so I can test it out first. We will see when Mojoracing measures his as ours are identical year and model.

Brian
Old 03-28-2014, 05:56 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We will see when Mojoracing measures his as ours are identical year and model.

Brian
Good luck!!
Old 03-28-2014, 06:10 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have a bounder 35k...it is a 2012 Model. Our mattress was horrible too. Threw it out. Replaced with a six inch foam I bought at overstock.com. Cheap and works great. I agree with Sarah...don't open it until you have it in the motorhome.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:46 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just measured it. It is 9" inches. I think if you were careful when pulling in the slide and tucked it down a little under the cabinets as it came in you would be fine. I wouldn't hesitate to do that. Personally, Im going to try to get a pillow top in there. We bought my son a foam mattress about 6 months ago and I just replaced it yesterday. He hated the foam. Loved it in the store but here I am 6 months later spending my MH mattress money on a new one for him!
Old 03-28-2014, 10:49 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I still don't see whats wrong with the mattress that came in all our bounders. Im 6' 230 pounds and it seems fine. Granted, Ive only slept on it a week or so but I don't feel any springs. Its a pillow top albeit a sad excuse for one but as far as MH mattresses go, its better than most. Maybe the mattress in our old coach was just so bad that anything seems to be a big improvement. I guess i'll weigh in after a few more trips.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:59 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it. I wonder if maybe they use different mattress manufacturers and you got a better one than I did.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:46 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it. I wonder if maybe they use different mattress manufacturers and you got a better one than I did.
It's likely that they did use different manufacturers. Our bed is a king size and it had a "deluxe pillow top" from the factory. It looked really nice until you actually lay down on it. Maybe you could call the dealer that is working on your Bounder and ask them to do a quick measurement. Be sure to allow for mattress pad and any bedding! You want a "mattress only" measurement, because size does matter in an RV.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:26 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
It's likely that they did use different manufacturers. Our bed is a king size and it had a "deluxe pillow top" from the factory. It looked really nice until you actually lay down on it. Maybe you could call the dealer that is working on your Bounder and ask them to do a quick measurement. Be sure to allow for mattress pad and any bedding! You want a "mattress only" measurement, because size does matter in an RV.
I had called my dealer before I started this thread. They called me yesterday and there measurement was the same that Mojoracing gave me, so the 11" mattress will be no good. There is a 9" I like but a little pricey for me considering we will be sleeping on it only 40 nights a year. We are going out today looking so hopefully we can find something a little cheaper in price.