Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2015, 12:34 PM   #1

Help. No hot water or refrigeration

We have never travelled in a motorhome before. We're in Florida hooked up to a 50 amp service but the electric water heater doesn't work and also the fridge won't cool. The overhead air conditioners do work thankfully. Any suggestions on how to remedy this will be greatly appreciated. Reps at Samsung and Fleetwood tried to help but to no avail. We have a 2015 Fleetwood 35K if it doesn't show up below. It also our real first post but have been lurking on the site since joining and have learned a lot about our new passion.
longbay102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2015, 01:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbay102 View Post
We have never travelled in a motorhome before. We're in Florida hooked up to a 50 amp service but the electric water heater doesn't work and also the fridge won't cool. The overhead air conditioners do work thankfully. Any suggestions on how to remedy this will be greatly appreciated. Reps at Samsung and Fleetwood tried to help but to no avail. We have a 2015 Fleetwood 35K if it doesn't show up below. It also our real first post but have been lurking on the site since joining and have learned a lot about our new passion.
longbay102
Check and reset any tripped circuit breakers in your 120V electric panel.
Next verify that no 12V fuses are blown.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:33 PM   #3

Quote:

Frig takes hours to cool and water heater takes awhile to heat. Is the frig on and just not cooling? Are you sure the bypass valve is in right position .
Old 11-19-2015, 04:00 PM   #4

Thanks Mel. The breakers are fine and I'm not sure where the 12V fuses are. Are they near the inverter?

Thanks Rooster. The fridge has been on for over 24 hours. The lights are on but temperature indicates 78F for the freezer and 80F for the fridge. The water heater has been on for the same length of time. I don't know about the by-pass.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:10 PM   #5

I'm assuming your 35K has the residential refrigetator? If so it has a dedicated inverter and batteries to run it. I have no idea where that inverter is located thou. I'ld suggest checking the first bay behind the entry door. That is where the inverter for the older models is. These inverters usually have a/c pass thru for when the coach is connected to shore power. Only other thing I can think of is the energy management system shedding loads due to not enough amperage coming into the coach but that is a real stretch. If the lights are on in the fridge are the inside thermosts set to a cold temp or possibly turned off. Lastly did the fridge ever work before?
One other thing to check see if any of the ground fault interrupters on the electrical sockets are tripped.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:22 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Since you talked to Samsung, It follows you have a residential Refrigerator. Make sure your Inverter is on.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3406 View Post
I'm assuming your 35K has the residential refrigetator? If so it has a dedicated inverter and batteries to run it. I have no idea where that inverter is located thou. I'ld suggest checking the first bay behind the entry door. That is where the inverter for the older models is. These inverters usually have a/c pass thru for when the coach is connected to shore power. Only other thing I can think of is the energy management system shedding loads due to not enough amperage coming into the coach but that is a real stretch. If the lights are on in the fridge are the inside thermosts set to a cold temp or possibly turned off. Lastly did the fridge ever work before?
One other thing to check see if any of the ground fault interrupters on the electrical sockets are tripped.
e

Yes it does have the residential refridgerator. I've located the inverter and it is in the first bay behind the the entry door. There is an on/off switch on the inverter. It's currently set to on. We have never used the fridge before. We bought the motorhome with 8600 km's on it and don't know if the previous owner used it. The fridge seems to be on as it were on the showroom floor meaning that the lights are on but no actual cooling. Do you mean the GFI's in the bathrooms? Thanks.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:37 PM   #8

Check every GFI outlet you can find. The schematic for my 2014 shows a gfi in the refrigerator circuit
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:38 PM   #9

Ga traveller. The Fleetwood rep said that the inverter need not be on and the Samsung rep didn't know a thing about an inverter. I've just put it on. It's the switch on the stairs I hope.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3406 View Post
Check every GFI outlet you can find. The schematic for my 2014 shows a gfi in the refrigerator circuit
u

Where exactly would the GFI for the refridgerator be? Could the problem with the water heater and the refridgeration be connected?
Old 11-19-2015, 04:45 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
u

Where exactly would the GFI for the refridgerator be? Could the problem with the water heater and the refridgeration be connected?
Try the bathroom.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:49 PM   #12

Folks, please note that the OP has mentioned the refer HAS POWER. That the lights are ON. So the only thing that could be preventing it from cooling is IN the refer itself. Like if the temp control was set to nearly off. Or if the refer is bad.

Even Samsung can ship a bad refer to a manufacturer.

To the OP: if you have lights on the refer, as you said above, that is, if the interior light comes on when you open the refer door, there's no need to search for a GFI. Though it wouldn't hurt to know where it is, in case.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Try the bathroom.
I did find one in the rear bathroom. Wasn't sure if the light should be on but plugged something into the receptacle with it off and the appliance worked.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:58 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Is this a gas / electric Hot Water Heater. If so - will it fire up on gas. Just as a check.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, water