Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2021, 04:05 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
HELP Please... New House Battery TOTAL FAIL

Good evening Fleetwood Fam,

We have a 2015 Fleetwood Excursion 35E. We needed new batteries and bought Trojan T105 (6V). We reached out to someone that the local Trojan office recommended and he came and installed the batteries.

He seemed confused and although we were told that he "knows" RVs, he tried multiple times to place all the cables correctly but struggled.

Although he believes that everything is correct, we have ZERO power to the panel or the RV. He said that there has to be a "reset" button somewhere because the batteries are wired correctly and there is no power.

Any guidance??? I am blind here. We are scheduled to leave on Monday (26th) and we wanted to head out with new house batteries. I would really like to still make the trip.

Is there something that I am (or he is) missing? What can I check?

PLEASE HELP.
MiamiDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2021, 04:09 PM   #2

HELP Please... New House Battery TOTAL FAIL

No need to find a reset button if he didnít screw up. For people reading this always take multiple pictures before removing any wires. Look for a square looking inline fuse and check with a multi tester if blown itís probably hooked up wrong. Also use your multi tester and put it on the hot or negative and the beginning of bank and opposite at the end of bank should have 12.6 volts or higher.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:23 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
How many T-105's do you have?
They are 6v batteries and must be connected with two in series to make 12v.
So, each pair should have a short jumper cable in between the pair from - on one battery to + on the other battery.
Then the large cables from the coach attach to the other - and + on the set.
I agree with Rooster. Take a few pictures when you get it right.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 04:27 PM   #4

Did you check the starting and house battery off on switches.
Tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 04:42 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Maybe this diagram will help a bit. It takes two 6v batteries wired in series (negative to positive) to make each 12v bank. Then however many 12v banks you have wired in parallel (positive to positive and negative to negative) for full capacity.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	batteries-series-vs-parallel.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	325749  
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 04:43 PM   #6

Do you have a multimeter to check voltage at various points?

Otherwise, call them and tell them to get back out there; the job's not done until it works as it did before.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:47 PM   #7

Here is how they should be connected.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:57 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
No need to find a reset button if he didnít screw up. For people reading this always take multiple pictures before removing any wires. Look for a square looking inline fuse and check with a multi tester if blown itís probably hooked up wrong. Also use your multi tester and put it on the hot or negative and the beginning of bank and opposite at the end of bank should have 12.6 volts or higher.
Hi Rooster,
Thank you for the guidance. Unfortunately, I did not take pictures because I though he knew what he was doing. I always take pictures because I KNOW that I know nothing. So, I make sure I make it dummy proof for me.

Is this picture the "square looking inline fuse" you are referring to? What do I do to see if it is blown?

I have also uploaded a picture of my battery bay. The new batteries are separated but in the same compartment.

What can I do now to move forward? Thank you so very much for your guidance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2246.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	325756   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2247.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	389.3 KB
ID:	325757  

Old 04-20-2021, 06:00 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
How many T-105's do you have?
They are 6v batteries and must be connected with two in series to make 12v.
So, each pair should have a short jumper cable in between the pair from - on one battery to + on the other battery.
Then the large cables from the coach attach to the other - and + on the set.
I agree with Rooster. Take a few pictures when you get it right.
Thank you Vito.
I have already cried (no joke and not exaggerating). I was so happy to be getting new batteries and now I am freaking out that nothing works and all the pending reservations. My migraine is killing me right now.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiDreamer View Post
Hi Rooster,

Thank you for the guidance. Unfortunately, I did not take pictures because I though he knew what he was doing. I always take pictures because I KNOW that I know nothing. So, I make sure I make it dummy proof for me.

Is this picture the "square looking inline fuse" you are referring to? What do I do to see if it is blown?

I have also uploaded a picture of my battery bay. The new batteries are separated but in the same compartment.

What can I do now to move forward? Thank you so very much for your guidance.

Take you multi meter put red wire on either one and put black on the frame or ground should get 12 plus volts test both screw both should be hot.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:04 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedo View Post
Did you check the starting and house battery off on switches.
Hahahaha. Yes, but I am very glad you asked. It would not be the first time that something very simple is overlooked.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:07 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Maybe this diagram will help a bit. It takes two 6v batteries wired in series (negative to positive) to make each 12v bank. Then however many 12v banks you have wired in parallel (positive to positive and negative to negative) for full capacity.
Thank you Lt Dan. I will need to go in and look at the wiring tomorrow. My brain is beyond fried tonight. He swears up and down that he did it right.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:13 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Take you multi meter put red wire on either one and put black on the frame or ground should get 12 plus volts test both screw both should be hot.
OK. I will try it in the morning (it is already dark and my migraine is killing me). What happens in either case??

If it I do get the 12V reading then what could be causing the No power situation?

If there is no reading, then what would be my next step? Or what do I do?

Thanks again!!!
Old 04-20-2021, 07:35 PM   #14

You are right, the square-looking thing to which the red cables are attached is the main 300Amp fuse. You need to test it for continuity from one post to the other post, or for 12Volts at both studs.
No need to get excited or upset, this happens to the best of us at times. Tomorrow is a new day, begin with the wiring diagram Kirk posted, then testing the 300A fuse.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, battery, house batteries, no power, power