Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2021, 01:12 PM   #1

Help us buy a Fleetwood!

Hi all, we are in the market for our 1st RV. Looking for a short class A (ideally on a Workhorse chassis with the 8.1 motor and ideally,ideally with the Allison 5 spd trans) for under 20k and see 2002 Fleetwood Fiesta 26Y (no slides) on RVTrader listed for 17.8k.

There is a tag that says "Great Value" for the listing on RTV. I saw one on another listing that said "Price Negotiable" so I assume those tags are created by the seller?

Anyway, I know there aren't too many of these short class A's out there with this combo, even less fairly near us as this one is.

Anything I could learn from people who know more would be much appreciated. Is this a great value? We haven't been searching for too long yet so don't really have a good picture of the market.

Anything specific we should be looking for with this model? We'll be getting an inspection before buying if/when we get serious. Miles aren't listed so I assume that means high but it looks to be very clean and I'm very good with the mechanical stuff so addressing issues, other than total engine/transmission failure, doesn't throw me.
fullmoonguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2021, 06:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmoonguru View Post
Hi all, we are in the market for our 1st RV. Looking for a short class A (ideally on a Workhorse chassis with the 8.1 motor and ideally,ideally with the Allison 5 spd trans) for under 20k and see 2002 Fleetwood Fiesta 26Y (no slides) on RVTrader listed for 17.8k.

There is a tag that says "Great Value" for the listing on RTV. I saw one on another listing that said "Price Negotiable" so I assume those tags are created by the seller?

Anyway, I know there aren't too many of these short class A's out there with this combo, even less fairly near us as this one is.

Anything I could learn from people who know more would be much appreciated. Is this a great value? We haven't been searching for too long yet so don't really have a good picture of the market.

Anything specific we should be looking for with this model? We'll be getting an inspection before buying if/when we get serious. Miles aren't listed so I assume that means high but it looks to be very clean and I'm very good with the mechanical stuff so addressing issues, other than total engine/transmission failure, doesn't throw me.
You can't go wrong with either a Ford or Workhorse chassis. Either will serve you well. The biggest thing is to see how the actual coach was maintained. That's going to be where your headaches lie.

As far as the market goes, its like the housing market. Crazy. I can sell my RV now for what I paid for it new in 2017.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 04:42 AM   #3

Thanks Massparanoia, we rented a couple of class C's with the V10 & it really does rev like crazy. I don't mind so much but my wife is very sensitive to noise so looking for the 8.1 ideally.

I was wondering if prices were still high. We DID look at RV's for a bit about 2 yrs. ago & it does seem similar pricing now.
Old 06-11-2021, 05:04 AM   #4

fleetwood buyer

I don't know where you are, but there's a fleetwood bounder on facebook marketing in wilmington nc.......renovated .......with a cummins
stamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:47 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
8.1 Workhorse is a great engine. It is simply a large version of their successful Vortec engine. One thing to look at are the spark plug wires to see if they look burned. Some coach designs don't permit enough airflow over the top of the engine. It's not a big deal if you're willing to replace the plugs, wires and then create/purchase an airflow system.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:49 AM   #6

Worth checking to make sure the Workhorse / Bosch brake recall has been performed on the chassis.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:15 AM   #7

Well we THOUGHT we bought this one but someone at the other location for this dealer said had already taken money down on it. We found out the next morning AFTER buying plane tickets...
Old 06-16-2021, 10:27 AM   #8

Ouch... hopefully the airline will give you some kind of credit back if you didn't use the tickets.
Don't get too hung up on the WorkHorse chassis. They all make engine noise... how well the coach is insulated is what helps keep it quiet(er) on the inside.
I'm a Chevy guy but I own a 2016 F53 chassis V10 and I honestly have no complaints about engine noise. It's there when climbing hills but it's not overwhelming. I think some people leave the cruise control on instead of regulating the RPM's with accelerator input. I believe the 6 speed helps (although I've never driven a 5 speed).
415cid V10 gasser / 6speed / Dana S130 with 5:38's
Towing 2018 F-150 Lariat
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:39 AM   #9

Full moon,
WHERE ARE YOU ???
Don't keep us guessing.
You will get more responses.

Mike in Colorado
Old 06-17-2021, 09:13 AM   #10

Yeah I'm not totally ruling out the Ford. I've always liked Ford motors but I don't really have a dog in that fight. I guess it would be good to drive some more. The C class we rented was seriously LOUD on the hills. I didn't mind so much "Damn, sounds like I'm rocking a Viper!" but my wife "Damn, is this thing going to blow up?".

WE're also considering a rig up to 30 ft. We were really looking for short for easier city driving, parking, campgrounds, but I think we might be over-thinking the difference between a 27 & a 30 in the real world and there are so many more choices then...

We are in southeastern North Carolina (which is just above northeaster South Carolina ).
Old 06-17-2021, 09:35 AM   #11

When we bought our most recent class A ... I wanted about 30' on an 18000lb chassis. My wife wanted way bigger. I showed her a floorplan that she fell in love with and we now have a 34' 3" class A on a 22000lb chassis.
I believe the newer 6 speeds manage the gear section (and engine noise) way better. I have also heard that a 5 Star tune works wonders for the older 5 speed transmissions.
415cid V10 gasser / 6speed / Dana S130 with 5:38's
Towing 2018 F-150 Lariat
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 02:44 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

There are two Workhorse family chassis - The P-series and W-series. The W series is more robust and gets the Allison transmission, while the lighter duty P series gets a GM Hydramatic 4-speed and either the GM 454 engine or (later) the 8.1L.

A warning: The 8.1L engine revs lower than a V10, but it has big aux cooling fans that cut in on steeper grades and sound like a jet engine. It scares the bejeezus out of some people.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 01:53 PM   #13

8.1L Upgrades

You definitely want to go with the W series with the 8.1L. Once you find your new coach get with Ultra RV and get their engine and tranny tuning modules (I'vedone the mufflers and plug wires too). Amazing performance difference and the modified shift points keep everything cooler reducing clutch fan engagement and the "noise" associated with it. It is loud, my coach is so quiet now. I also bought the Koni shocks and they are amazing. All on an 03 36R. Good luck!
GunnerAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 02:27 PM   #14

Workhorse

I’ve always owned V10s, my brother in law has a Workhorse chassis. Some early Workhorse chassis (his) had a narrower front axle that made for a bit/lot more body roll. He likes everything else about it.
KenJr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood