Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2021, 10:01 PM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to bri55 Send a message via AIM to bri55 Send a message via Yahoo to bri55
Help Wanted On Electrical Hook Up

Hi everyone lost my home in California fires so I am completely lost since buying this 2001 Fleetwood bounder motorhome I am living in rest areas because I don't know how to get power at rv parks, I have a 30 amp power cord but don't know where it connects I have a 30 amp receptacle in the waste dumop storage area but was told thats an outlet only and I should have a power cord already permanently attached but I cant find it,anyway
this seems like a nice place for people sharing their experiences with their motorhome I hope someday I can share something nice
bri55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2021, 11:59 AM   #2

Your 30 amp receptacle is most likely for plugging in your generator. Your 30 amp cord should be connected to your rv on one end. Which model bounder do you have?
Old 08-06-2021, 12:19 PM   #3

Drivers side of MH....compartment aft of rear wheels should be 'Electrical Bay'
Probably where the Generator and that 30A Receptacle is located

The MH 30A Power Cord should be in that compartment attached to RV
*the not connected power cord could be an extension cord

As asked what Model Is your Bounder?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 02:23 PM   #4

I'm sure someone at the RV park you go to can help. Listen to Old Biscuit for location. The power cord as I recall, plugs into a round receptacle inside the coach bay, the other end big black rubber plugs into the RV power pedestal. Sorry to read of your loss and situation. Once connected make sure the pedestal breaker is turned on and the circuit breakers in the coach AC breaker box is all turned on.
John
Old 08-06-2021, 02:52 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Your Bounder is only 5 years older than ours was so where the electric cord hooks into it should be approx the same. Open the bay door I have circled in my photo & look at the far right for a rounded rectangular opening that's about 8x10 (if that). See 2nd photo with the arrow pointing to it. Peer inside that cubby & you should see a 30 amp receptacle. Sorry I don't have a front on photo of that. THIS is where you'd connect your power cord. Then you plug the other end into the 30a receptacle on power pedestal at a campground (AFTER you have turned off the breaker on the pedestal first). Once you've got the plug securely in the pedestal, you can flip on the breaker there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Power connection.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	338597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Power connection cubby.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	338598  

NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 04:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Your Bounder is only 5 years older than ours was so where the electric cord hooks into it should be approx the same. Open the bay door I have circled in my photo & look at the far right for a rounded rectangular opening that's about 8x10 (if that). See 2nd photo with the arrow pointing to it. Peer inside that cubby & you should see a 30 amp receptacle. Sorry I don't have a front on photo of that. THIS is where you'd connect your power cord. Then you plug the other end into the 30a receptacle on power pedestal at a campground (AFTER you have turned off the breaker on the pedestal first). Once you've got the plug securely in the pedestal, you can flip on the breaker there.

That should be it^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 04:37 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi Bri55, and welcome to our little4 circle of friends!

I have a 2000 Bounder, where the power connector is at the lower right corner of the sewer/electric connections bay on the driver side of the coach aft of the rear wheels. The connection point is behind a flip-up weatherproof cover and is a 30-Amp Hubbell Twist-lock recessed male inlet. All of that word mess means that the female end of your power cord mates with the power inlet receptacle on your coach ... with a twist. Push in the connector and give it a clockwise twist to lock it in place (By the way, there's a terrific story about Harvey Hubbell and how he got the idea for the Twist-Lock connector while getting a haircut, but I digress). The male end of your power cord connects to the 30-Amp receptacle at your parking spot. As others have said, please do not make electrical connections while the circuit breakers are energized ("hot") due to the risk of burning the contacts or creating a spark near potentially flammable stuff.

Best Regards,
Frank
Old 08-10-2021, 02:15 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Just one important note; get a good surge protector!
MEC57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 06:48 PM   #9

did you find it?
Kellyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 11:27 AM   #10

30 Amp service

Most Class A gas motorhomes around that age have 30 amp service, but the generators are typically 5500 watts, giving you almost 46 amps of output. 30 amps will barely handle two A/C's on a hot summer day. Here is what worked well for me. Those rooftop AC's generally have 3 capacitors. They can be purchased relatively inexpensive online and installed by a good do DIYer. Considering the age of your units it might be a good investment replacing all of them. You can find numerous videos on YouTube on how to test and replace those capacitors. Be very careful not to try to oversize the capacitors. It is extremely important to use the exact same size capacitor as the ones originally installed.. The physical size and appearance may vary, but the capacities must be identical. Installing new capacitors, cleaning the filter, and making sure the condenser on the rooftop is clean should make your A/C's happy and allow you to survive the summer heat with a 30 amp service.
Dick Reed 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 02:42 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
2000 Bounder 34T power inlet

Hi Guys,

I've attached pictures of the water and electrical bay on my 2000 Bounder, driver's side just aft of the rear wheels. The power inlet is in the lower right corner of the bay, and I have added a closeup of the power panel and another with the lid flipped up. Hope that helps!

Best Regards,
Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210816_145352.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	326.0 KB
ID:	339794   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210816_145355.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	339795